BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 0 Crystal Palace

Anyone know who the ref is tonight

Peter Walton. From the BBC -

Rob Styles was originally due to referee this game, but he was switched to the Middlesbrough v Fulham Tuesday night match, and Walton rerouted from the Riverside to Ewood Park.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know who the ref is tonight
Rob Styles was originally due to referee this game, but he was switched to the Middlesbrough v Fulham Tuesday night match, and Walton rerouted from the Riverside to Ewood Park.

And he went on to make a complete balls up and hand Middlesbrough an undeserved penalty in the last minute.

Incidently, he's been given the job of reffing the FA cup final...another blunder by the FA.

I think/hope we will beat them 1-0. MGP to nick the winner, although I'd really like to see Stead on the scoresheet again. MH will motivate the team for another crucial game which could save us for sure.  thumbs-up.gif

My first correct prediction (yeah!), although I have to admit, this one wasn't too hard. biggrin.gif

A great result which more or less ensures our Premiership survival. The only disappointing thing is that we didn't score more goals. MGP took his goal very well, but there were so many other clear cut chances. Stead had a great header saved by Kiraly, another chance that just went wide I think and the one on one at the end which he should have buried. Reid missed a sitter from 6 yards out and he should have scored against Kiraly instead of over running it. Savage looked back to his old self and could have been sent off. I think that it was a good idea to bring Tugay on who by some accounts had a very good second half. I'd like to know what sparked off the incident in the tunnel, I doubt Savage's brush on Routledge as they ran off is what caused it.

A top 10 finish is possible and we aim for this with our remaining games. We need to use this season as a learning curve and a transition period, bring in some new players in the summer, push on next season and perform like Everton and Bolton have been doing. It was also good to see Newcastle lose and drop to 14. I hope that Souness feels foolish. Who's up next?

Edited by RoyRover

rover.gif great result tonight i thought we played really well against a team heading for the coca-cola,we should have won by more,but bad finishing from stead,emerton,reid and nelsen kept the scoreline close.

there was plenty off plusses and one very big minus,robbie bloody savage,if this guy is a premier league footballer i'll be the next pope.reckless challenges,misplaced challenges,hair of a rock star,sorry i cannot see what sparky see's in him tinykit.gif

Why are the BBC blowing up an 'incident' of Savage running off the pitch and bumping into Routledge when there is the most minimal of contact?

'Cos they're fleurklin' scumbler ceuntelers who know shyiite about soddler all?? mad.gif

Well I thought it was a good game! Put in a good performance against a team battling for survival. I felt that we was pretty much on top for all the game. We created many chances that should have been converted - Nelsen, Emerton in the first half, Reid and Stead in the second amongst others.

Again our defence was solid. I never got the feeling that Palace were going to score - cant remember them having a proper shot on target. Todd got an excellent reception and put in a very good performance despite what happened on Saturday.

Attacking wise we were better. I thought Emerton was quite good tonight - certainly better than Thommo has been recently. Didn't think Savage had his best game tonight - made a couple of bad challenges. But the ball he put in for the goal has made up for it - good finish from Pedersen as well. I dont know how accurate Savage's explanation of the substitution for Tugay was 'that he felt his groin', I reckon its more to do with he was probably going to get sent off.

Stead worked hard. Kiraly pulled off a good save to deny him in the first half. But he should really have scored that chance in the second half. Maybe he is never going to score this season!

Looking forward to the City game now - for the first time in a while I'm really excited about going to Rovers every game, rather than just turning up every week. The improvement we've seen in the last 6 months has been fantastic, Hughsey mentioned that exactly 6 months today we was bottom, and now we're pushing towards the top half of the table smile.gif Hughsey~~~~~~

Stead worked hard. Kiraly pulled off a good save to deny him in the first half. But he should really have scored that chance in the second half. Maybe he is never going to score this season!

Luckily he's already scored then isn't it laugh.gif

I thought we did well tonight, worked our socks off all over the pitch as per usual. Must give Matteo some praise, from the footie 1st highlights looks like he had a pretty decent game.

After the hysterical media outbursts following our semi last Saturday it was always going to be interesting to see how the team reacted tonight - they'd either be fired up by the criticism or they'd be bogged down by it. But this is the new Rovers under Hughes and we really shouldn't have doubted them. Their character shone through and we thoroughly deserved the win.

Stead came in for Dickov as expected but Savage in for Flitty was a surprise, and not a nice one as it turned out. Other than that though we lined up the same as we did at Cardiff. The scare stories about Andy Johnson not being fit for Palace proved to be untrue.

We started the game well and created chances right from the off. We were quicker to every ball, passed the ball better than Palace, pressed them into mistakes all over the pitch and really should have scored. MGP swung in a series of dangerous looking corners, one of which Stead got his head to and brought a smart save out the pyjama-wearing Palace keeper. Nelsen was also left free from a free-kick but hit the outside of the post when he really should have done better.

Those were the two most gilt-edged chances but there were other half-chances in an opening 25 minutes that we totally dominated. However, slowly but surely Palace started to come back into it, we started to lose possession too often as Palace increased their work-rate, and the half was petering out towards a stalemate. Right on the stroke of half-time though we won a free-kick wide on our left, Savage swung a superb ball in towards the edge of the 6 yard box, and Pedersen just about got enough on it to send the ball in off the underside of the crossbar. A goal we deserved for our earlier efforts, but it hadn't looked like coming.

Savage was replaced by Tugay at half-time. Whether that was down to injury or the fact that Savage was one foul away from a red card is anyone's guess.

I thought we played really well in the second half. Palace had to come out and attack us and we took advantage of the extra space available, only poor finishing let us down. I lost count of the number of good chances we spurned - not half-chances but really good clear-cut opportunities to score - but in the end it didn't matter.

Of the one's I can remember, Matteo hit the side-netting when it looked easier to score, Reid missed a sitter of a header from a glorious Emerton cross, Emerton brought a good save out of their keeper with a low shot to the far post, Stead failed to control a great through ball that would have put him clean through, Reid ran clear through on goal for half the length of the field only to be let down by a heavy final touch, and Stead hit the keeper with a poor finish when one-on-one at the death. There were probably more and if we'd scored six Palace couldn't have complained.

At the other end Palace hardly offered a threat. Our defence coped easily with Johnson's pace and driving runs, and only Routledge looked capable of creating anything for the visitors. I think Friedel had to make two saves all match and they were both fairly comfortable ones.

All in all it was as convincing a 1-0 win as you're likely to see. We looked a decent team and Palace looked like a team going down.

Our defence was superb yet again. Friedel didn't have much to do but did what he had to well. Nelsen was as strong and composed as we've come to expect, Todd was excellent in everything he did and received a huge ovation from the crowd before, during and after the match. Matteo struggled at times with Routledge but did well in the main, and Neill had another good game. In fact, Neill's had a few good games recently (Cardiff excepted) and is starting to look more like it.

Savage was fairly awful today. He didn't look fully-fit to me and he mis-timed challenge after challenge. He deservedly got booked for one of the "tackles" and then could easily have been sent off minutes later. He also wasted possession on a number of occasions. In fact, about the only thing he did right was put in an excellent cross for the goal.

Reid carried on his recent good form but really should have scored a couple. Pedersen was dangerous on set-pieces but, yet again, didn't do too much in general play. But, yet again, he scored the winner so how can you be critical? I'd say he's got to be doubtful for Saturday though judging by the way he was limping around at the end.

I thought Emerton had a really good game and tore Palace's left back apart at times. His runs actually had an end product most of the time tonight. Mokoena did his job as well as ever, and Thompson got a run out towards the end but didn't have much chance to make an impact.

Up front I thought Stead was superb, my man of the match. He worked his socks off, his running off the ball was always intelligent and dangerous, his control and touch were excellent as he held the ball up when we needed him to, he won a lot in the air and showed a strength I wasn't sure he had, and his passing was spot on. The only thing lacking was a finish and you could tell he wasn't happy as he left the field at the end. If he keeps playing like that though the goals will come.

I thought we were safe before the game, we defiantely are now. What Hughes has achieved is nothing short of remarkable. He's turned an unfit, passionless team into one of the most hard-working, passionate outfits I've ever seen wear the shirt. Our defence that was laughable at the start of the season is now as good as any in the league.

And slowly but surely we're starting to add a bit more of an attacking edge to our game as well. It was noticeable against Southampton and it was noticeable again tonight. Ok, we're still not good enough yet to compete with the likes of Arsenal, but we're more than good enough to compete with the teams around and below us in the league.

After tonight's results we're up to 12th. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we finished a few places higher than that come the season's end.

Excellente write-up, Scotty, thanks for the recap.

Great to hear of such a thoroughly dominating performance by Rovers. It's especially heartening to hear of Stead's performance, and hopefully he'll get back on the scoresheet soon.

Roll on, Rovers... twelfth place is unbelievable considering our situation when Sparky took over.

I can't remember a game this season I have enjoyed more. 3 or 4 goals would have been the icing on the cake and Jon Stead showed that with a little more match practice he has a decent chance of supplying them.

Stead ws my MOTM and if it hadn't been for the Andy Todd show of support I feel sure he would have got the Orange award for an excellent display.

Thanks lads for the sort of entertainment that will bring the crowds back. Looking forward to City already, and I can't remember the last time that happened straight after a game.

Gotta say I'm with Scotty and Paul on this one.

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Watching Rovers players perform with heart and enthusiasm and a bit of pride in the shirt is brilliant.

The number of times Neill (who had a top game), Mokoena, Reid, et al, chased half way across the field to win the ball speaks volumes for the attitude Hughes has instilled in them.

Tugay's 2nd half showed why I don't want Savage. Give Reid a ball player to play alongside.

Stead showed optimism, intelligence and was positive in everything he did.

Looking forward to Saturday.

I'd like to see a bit more of Tugay until the end of the season. While he may not be quite the player he once was he still has more class in his little toe than most players can hope to have.

The current system we have is made for him really. With the likes of Reid and Mokoena provide the muscle and protection as well as a sold back four we haven't seen since as long as he has probably been here, Tugay should be given an opportunity to be our creative spark for these last few games. Being given time spray passes around the park should hopefully minimise appearances from his invisible friend.

Certainly I'd rather see just what Tugay can still do than have an unfit Savage having to keep being booked and replaced early on.

There may be some life in the Old Turk yet... rover.gif

Great performance, just a shame we couldnt of bagged at least another 1 or 2 goals.

For the 1st time in a long timne last night, i noticed one thing. Everyone in a blue and white shirt actually looked like they wanted to do well for the club and that they were'nt just there for the pay packet.

Hope MGP's injury isnt too serious and that hes back for saturday. If we can play liek that in the last few games then we have every chance of moving up another couple of places

Spot on Hughsey

It was marvellous to see the team spirit in a Rovers side. At the end of the game Nelson and Todd walked off the pitch with their arms around each others shoulders. Other players were generally congratulating each other.

Stead was wonderful and on another night could have had a hat-trick. Hopefully Hughes will now stop playing the woefully inadequate Dickov, who has served his purpose by helping keep us up and contributing to the new team spirit.

Great performance. Thoroughly enjoyed the game. I was always somewhat nervous whilst it was only 1 - 0 until about the last 20 minutes or so.

Agree with the posting on Matteo. I think that he is the most improved player over recent weeks. I thought we had an issue over left back but I am quite relaxed about this now.

Emmerton has shown that he could really hurt teams in the premiership with his runs.

I didn't realise that Stead could hold the ball up so well. What a pity the header didn't go in as it deserved a goal and took a fantastic save to keep it out. He is understandably a bit tense about his scoring record and I think that this effects him when he has time to think about it in front of goal.

Nelsen is just so composed at the back. Todd made a magnificent sliding block with his body in the second half and was booked for it. He looked as surprised as we were when he was booked. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come with him having a reputation.

It is a pity the next game comes so soon after 2 very big games for Rovers.If they can produce another performance against City then I think they will have done really well and it will be an indication of just how we can perform next season.

tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.