BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto Cup

That's not true at all. The official line is that if Liverpool win, no matter what league position they finish, they will be in the Champions League next season. No country can have more than four participants so Everton would not qualify.

Now that does not seem quite right, poor Everton fans what a dagger through the heart that would be.

No it isn't right, I'm currently trying to find the link that I read it on.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the UEFA rule- look on the Champions League Rules in the UEFA web site.

So just as Real Zaragoza got crippled by that rule, so would Everton- the second time Everton have been utterly done in Europe by Liverpool.

When the red scousers rioted in the Heysel, Everton were easilly the best club side Britain had produced in years in 85/6 and would surely have won the European Cup but for the ban Liverpool brought onto English soccer.

7th place would still get a UEFA slot. smile.gif

The poor attendances were as a result of Souness saying that he wasn't bothered about Europe and putting weakened sides out!

Was souey the manager in 1995 when we played in the champs leagie?

or in 94 in the uefa - remember trelleborgs.

WE have always had crap european attendances.

That's not true at all. The official line is that if Liverpool win, no matter what league position they finish, they will be in the Champions League next season. No country can have more than four participants so Everton would not qualify.

No Eddie,

the official line is that it is up to the home nation's FA to decide. It is unwritten that it would be the Champions League winners, but it doesnt have to be.

That is the UEFA rule- look on the Champions League Rules in the UEFA web site.

So just as Real Zaragoza got crippled by that rule, so would Everton- the second time Everton have been utterly done in Europe by Liverpool.

As I understand it, I don't think that's right. In the case of Real Zaragoza it was the Spanish FA (no doubt heavily leaned on by UEFA) that decided the matter.

Can you post a link as I can't find the one I was after?

This article says that UEFA will tell the FA to select Liverpool. There is another thread elsewhere on this MB which found a UEFA rule which is definitive on the subject. Use the search engine and no doubt you will find it.

Tis the other way round

It is rule 1.03

"at the request of the national association concerned the UEFA Champions League title holders may be entered for this competition as an additional representative if they do not qualify"

Then goes on to say that it would be as a replacement for the fourth placed club. http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Edited by stuwilky

This article says that UEFA will tell the FA to select Liverpool. There is another thread elsewhere on this MB which found a UEFA rule which is definitive on the subject. Use the search engine and no doubt you will find it.

Ooops, see the above post. Google's great isn't it?

Edited by Ciren Rover

The poor attendances were as a result of Souness saying that he wasn't bothered about Europe and putting weakened sides out!

Was souey the manager in 1995 when we played in the champs leagie?

or in 94 in the uefa - remember trelleborgs.

WE have always had crap european attendances.

God bless you Stu, cos if I'd posted that the point would have been completely devalued.

However, it's worth adding the awesome 13K v Lyon, 1998.

Oh, and 31,000 v Celtic, 2002 - under Souness would you believe!!?

That article says nothing of the sort.

The rule clearly states that if the Champions League winner does not qualify through domestic League position it is then up to the National Football Association (The FA) to make the case out for the team in question (possibly Liverpool)

No doubt in practice if the FA intervened then the decision would go in Liverpool's favour, but if hypothetically they declined to get involved then it would be tough according to a literal interpretation of that rule.

Of course it seems ridiculous that a country otherwise entitled to 4 teams can not field a 5th in those unusual circumstances.

Personall I tend to disagree with most and think we should apply.

The basis for this to me is it would be ample opportunity to give some fringe players (inc Jansen) and youngsters an opportunity to play in competitive games without too much ( at that stage) to worry about and also help with the pre season - if we go out we go out - if we progress then we end up in the UEFA Cup and the more established players take over and have had the opportunity to see what the others can do.

At the end of the day - pre season is part and parcel and we play 'friendlies' as such anyway, which in all analysis the early games in the Intertoto are really.

That sums up my feelings exactly.

People cite Fulham and West Ham as examples of how the Intertoto can ruin a season but that ignores the more pressing and pertinant point, that being that those two teams were crap that year. Incompetent manager and underperforming players think - phew! that was rubbish from us, let's ignore taking the blame ourselves and blame the Intertoto. Those muppets will be taken in by that. Funny thing is...so often they are. Let's trot out some tired cliches about an 'exhausting season', sprinkle with 'injury crisis' and voila...a fully-cooked gullible group of supporters.

Use the Intertoto to base our pre-season around. Reaching the league stage of the Uefa Cup may stretch our squad a bit but surely that's better than having a dozen players barely starting first team games for most of the season?

Admittedly...I'd hope we wouldn't be so crap in Europe if we do try it...

In other words Uefa hasn't clarified anything then, hence the use of the word 'could'. It's up to the national FA to put forward the four candidates. Presumably it would be Liverpool as winning the Champions League is obviously likely to carry more kudos than merely finishing fourth in a domestic league.

I finished 4th in football manager with blackburn (1 place above liverpool). Liverpool then won the champions league and I got relegated to the UEFA cup.

So there you go, Football managers always right. But then theres no way liverpool will win it, is there? wink.gif

I say enter it. If we get through. We actually have a chance of winning a competition. Aint that what football is all about. We're never going to win the league or qualify for the champions league, nor are we ever gunna win the league or fa cup again.

Who cares about the money- i wanna win something!

From the BBC:

Uefa is considering a change to the rules regarding Champions League qualification that could see Everton overtake Liverpool even if the Reds win the competition this year. (Daily Express, The Times)

Looks like I am not alone in thinking its a UEFA rule Rev.

Philip, if you actually read the quote, you might not be alone, but you are wrong:

"There is no way England can have more than four teams so in the first instance we would refer it to the English FA to make the decision if it arises. But normally I would say that it's more important if you are qualified through your national league position than if you have won the competition" – UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson makes a fool of himself in the Daily Express.

I point to the part I emphasized in bold

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.