BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto Cup

But normally I would say that it's more important if you are qualified through your national league position than if you have won the competition" – UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson makes a fool of himself in the Daily Express.

I want to know why he thinks it's more important to finish 4th than win the Champions League... What's the point of winning it if you're not able to qualify next time around?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
Just seen that PHILIP WAS RIGHT AFTER ALL!!!!

Never mind reading the posts above, I searched for INTERTOTO because the Rovers have just announced they are applying to enter the reformed Intertoto Competition this year.

383313[/snapback]

You were wrong Philip - they allowed Liverpool in through the back door as Everton took the fourth place. rolleyes.gif The FA chose Everton then Uefa had to change their rules.

Good news to enter the Intertoto as long as we use it for friendlies.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Good news to enter the Intertoto as long as we use it for friendlies.

I agree.

I was surprised to read of Rovers interest in the Intertoto Cup as it is has always been dismissed as a distraction in the past. It's something i'd like to see us go for and would be a consolation for not finishing in an automatic UEFA spot.

Now that we've secured survival maybe we could find a cheeky backroute into europe. Does anyone know if we've applied for an intertoto place? Normally Villa get it but we could finish above them with a few good wins.

311100[/snapback]

I would not touch it with a barge pole meself. If, and it's not looking likely, we don't make it then I would not go intertoto. Look at the seasons the teams that went in have had, add to that a World Cup year it would be really stupid of Rovers to even think of it.

You have to applaud Hughes' ambition in doing everything possible to try to ensure European football, probably the fact that the UEFA Cup is now more lucrative has a lot to do with the decision.

The downside is that historically intertoto teams start off like a house on fire being seemingly ahead of others in terms of sharpness and preparation but then seem to burn out around Christmastime. The "squad" would really have to pull their weight rather than sitting around getting paid for doing nothing.

Not necessarily a bad thing?

It's not the Intertoto itself which causes problems later on but how the manager utilises their full squad towards it. The are examples of teams going on to win their domestic league after entering the Intertoto. That shows that it can be used as a positive force. The games help with match fitness but if the same players are playing every minute of every game there is bound to some burnout later on.

Certainly I'd be happier with Hughes taking us into this than I would have been with Souness. Souness would probably have done it half-heartedly as we aren't a big enough team blah blah...

The Intertoto has become an excuse for underperforming managers to blame their season on and it seems fans have fallen for it. If used well the Intertoto could be a positive way to start the season, rather than just a lame excuse for everything that goes wrong in the next nine months. Hughes is a positive character so couldn't see him doing that.

Besides...I'd just like us to win a few games in Europe...we've been waiting for long enough for Pete's sake!!! biggrin.gif

The format of the Intertoto has changed for next season - instead of coming in at the 3rd round and then having to play a two-legged semi and final, we would play one round and then, assuming we won, go into the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. So instead of playing six games to get into the UEFA we'd only have four. And bear in mind that Bert and Lucas are the only Rovers players who are realistically going to the World Cup.

You're right in that the format is different but really you play the same number of games. What it does do though is make it easier to get through. Newcastle came in at the 3rd round last year and had an easy game and then had to play Deportivo in the Semi, this wouldn't happen now. You still have to play 6 matches to qualify for the Uefa cup proper. Another thing better is that the games would be later in the season, the Intertoto semi was played 27/7 & 3/8 whereas the 2nd qualifier of the Uefa was 11/8 & 25/8 so hopefully it would have less impact on our preparations.

I'd personally be delighted if we got in, sods law dictates that after all this we will have a big slump and finish below Newcastle who will probably enter instead.

You're right in that the format is different but really you play the same number of games.  What it does do though is make it easier to get through.  Newcastle came in at the 3rd round last year and had an easy game and then had to play Deportivo in the Semi, this wouldn't happen now.  You still have to play 6 matches to qualify for the Uefa cup proper. 

383553[/snapback]

Really? As far as I knew, the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup is the final qualifier before the tournament starts proper. I could be wrong though. You're right though that in theory that should give us an easier path.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.