SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto Cup

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad idea IMO.

Clubs that have entered the InterToto in the past have gone to struggle badly in the league. I don't want another relegation battle on the remote chance of a good run in Europe thank you very much.

Hughes should forget about the InterToto and concentrate on improving Rovers' dismal league form.

I wouldn't be that keen on the Intertoto Cup, as it reduces players rest period and has caused some teams, who's squads aren't big enough to burn out. The idea of using the competition as pre-season training and matches is a good one. If the number of games have been cut down then better still. It could be a chance to give some of the fringe players to show their worth in competitive matches. I'd rather we qualified for Europe through our league position though. I'll trust Hughes' decision.

I'd be in favour.

The key this season is the extra two weeks at the start of the summer break, for Sven's World Cup players. As we don't have any of those, there is every reason for Mark Hughes to want to pitch the players into challenging fixtures at the stage when the Intertoto kicks in.

They can still get a really good break, and get the initial pre-season graft done, then instead of playing Swansea away and some Spanish minnow at Ewood, they can play Lokomotiv Wheresthatat over two legs with the outcome actually meaning something.

If we get knocked out, it's been good pre-season work, and if we go through, then we've got an extra competition to play with.

And as fans, it gives us something to get excited about, and whilst pre-season at Christie Park is romantic and spellbinding, there's nothing like enjoying a cup draw which suddenly takes you to far flung parts you'd never think of going to otherwise.

if we go through, then we've got an extra competition to play with.

383914[/snapback]

Which is exactly what we don't need.

Besides which, entering the InterToto smacks of desperation, the sort of thing Newcastle or Villa do because they have to be "seen to be playing in Europe".

I want Rovers to play in Europe but by qualifying properly through league position. Now that is what excites me: a desperate end-of-season dash for points, not entering Europe via a spurious two-bob trophy played during the hieght of the cricket season.

Which is exactly what we don't need.

Besides which, entering the InterToto smacks of desperation, the sort of thing Newcastle or Villa do because they have to be "seen to be playing in Europe".

I want Rovers to play in Europe but by qualifying properly through league position. Now that is what excites me: a desperate end-of-season dash for points, not entering Europe via a spurious two-bob trophy played during the hieght of the cricket season.

383920[/snapback]

We're Rovers Jim...we should take whatever we can get.

As for 'the sort of thing Newcastle or Villa do'....exactly. Are we to think of oursleves as being above them? Try telling that to one of their fans.

The choice may be between the Intertoto or nothing at all. I reckon it's better than nothing...

why not if Sparky thinks it does not disrupt pre-season preperations. I am sure he would know a lot better than us - nothing to lose IMO

anyway, lets try and concentrate on this season not falling apart.

Edited by John

Read again..

The top five teams in the Premiership will qualify for Europe, although that could increase depending on who wins the Carling and FA Cups.

Everton and Blackburn are the only English clubs to have confirmed their participation in the Intertoto Cup.

However, Newcastle and Manchester City were also thought to have been interested in the competition, which has changed its format this year.

There will be only three rounds instead of five, with the 11 successful sides going through to the Uefa Cup second qualifying round instead of the first round proper.

So if we finish above Everton, we are on our European holidays in late July.

Well, we also need to come above 8th although would UEFA ban all English clubs if neither Rovers or Everton came 8th or above?

...then there is a risk we might make it into the UEFA through the front door. rover.gif

Edited by philipl

Dont see the problem with it. Many say it ###### up their sides season but there are cases where good management (and we all seem pretty sure that we have that in place) can lead to a good season. One example i remember is

Newcastle a few years back under Bobby Robson where they actually finished 4th or 3rd after starting in the inter-to-to. Also many clubs abroad (who have better managers than many of the muppets who have/are working in the PL) have gone on to do well in League and Europe after entering the inter-to-to, look at Valencia this season in the league. They also started in the intertoto

Edited by greggyk

And as has been said- to those who listened, the format has been changed this season- three rounds insted of five.

I'm very in favour. European holidays with the Rovers are us!

Oh god, I've agreed with Tris- the world is ending.

So if we finish above Everton, we are on our European holidays in late July.

Well, we also need to come above 8th although would UEFA ban all English clubs if neither Rovers or Everton came 8th or above?

...then there is a risk we might make it into the UEFA through the front door. rover.gif

384236[/snapback]

Where have you got the rule that you have to finish 8th or above?

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/intertoto...rmat/index.html

383584[/snapback]

I made it up! (see the second paragraph from my earlier link above- in England that was being reported as 8th or above). In 2006 there will be one entrant per Association- last year up to three were allowed.

Actually, it's not me making it up as I go along- UEFA seem to be!

According to this story, clubs coming in the four places below the automatic Champs Leage/UEFA Cup places can have a go- obviously the highest placed gets the one slot. Boro are feeling very optimistic about making up the 12 points deficit on us. Either that or they are banking on us getting automatic European qualification in which case they still have a lot of work to do to make 9th, 10th or 11th.

Edited by philipl

It really is in our interest for United to win the carling cup, especially now that Wigan are fading away a bit. Also, it would be great if this year the fa cup final is comprised of teams already qualified for Europe, could make our lives a lot easier.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.