BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

Spuds had an excellent 4,000 at Ewood for the night match.

Knowing Evertons excellent away support I fully expect them to take up most of the 7,500 tickets,should see the biggest crowd on Ewood so far this season come next Saturday.....at least 25,000.

363449[/snapback]

They had sold 2500 a week or so ago. But given them winning today I expect the fickle ones to flood back. 5000 at a push.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**UPDATE**

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 19467 (after 6 home games)

Wigans average attendance is 20655 (after 8 home games)

(1188 behind)

Total attendances for both clubs are:-

Rovers tinykit.gif 116806

Wigan 165247

(48441 behind)

Interesting fact, both teams have now played Fulham, Spurs & Newcastle at home...with Wigan having the biggest attendance on all three occasions unsure.gif

Rovers tinykit.gif next home game is v Eveton this Saturday (hopefully a big gate?) To catchup with Wigans average, we need to top a 27500 gate....although it`s not a sprint.....it`s a marathon.

Wigans next home league game is v Charlton on 17th Dec....so you would expect a lower crowd for that one (Rovers v Charlton att was 17691)

To be fair to the points made earlier in the thread, on almost every occasion there has been more away fans at the jjb than Ewood Park. We should have a higher crowd by the end of the season, esp as Wigan start to drop away as they loose their next 3 games.

I was interested to hear that the mighty Juventus attracted a gate of just 7000 last Tuesday or Wednesday for their last Champions League fixture at the Stadio Del Alpe. Anyone know the population of Turin?

I shudder to think what the self flaggelation merchants on here would be saying if we'd done the same thing. Poor old SG would probably be swinging by a rope from the Blackburn End. smile.gif

Luckily for us it also shows how relatively insignificant gate receipts are in comparison to TV/place/prize money etc.

If we can`t average more home crowd in  a season than Wigan then we may as well accept that the gig is up.

363602[/snapback]

I do not accept that one bit. Wigan's gates have jumped from around 7thousand home fans a game last season to around 16 thousand in one summer. Wigan are at their all time peak and still can't attract more home fans than Rovers. It is not sustainable. Rovers have had over 15thousand home fans for nearly 15 years.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970210101247/...news/news3.html

Interesting article here. Interesting quotes like "We have, are and will ALWAYS be in the market for top players."

"We have attracted a succession of top footballers to Blackburn in the past few years - not just one - and we have never been a one-man team in my book. Our squad is brimming over with players of international standing and we will compete with the best, for the best - and that's a PROMISE."

"We are all here to try our damnedst to achieve success over the long-term on a regular basis. My dream was to build this club into one capable of challenging for the very top HONOURS. We've known what it is like to be king of the castle and to play in Europe and we are hungry for more."

Pity his family don't seem to have read his quotes.

363252[/snapback]

COME ON MODS, isn't it about time we were shut of this plonker. How much more of this repetetive anti Walker family should we have to endure. BAN THE SON OF A BITCH

Wigan start to drop away as they loose their next 3 games.

363503[/snapback]

It's LOSE, lose lose lose how many bloody times do you need correcting several of you. Did the dictionary change while I have been gone? I think I'm about to loose it, I'll use some of this lose change in my pocket, call the shrink.

It's LOSE, lose lose lose how many bloody times do you need correcting several of you.  Did the dictionary change while I have been gone?  I think I'm about to loose it, I'll use some of this lose change in my pocket, call the shrink.

363801[/snapback]

Jeez, another policemen spell checker on the run. It was a typo ffs, and as i wasnt writing a gov report but actually on a blackburn mb, im not gonna be too bothered about my spelling so along as you know what im saying. So p1ss off

I was interested to hear that the mighty Juventus attracted a gate of just 7000 last Tuesday or Wednesday for their last Champions League fixture at the Stadio Del Alpe. Anyone know the population of Turin?

I shudder to think what the self flaggelation merchants on here would be saying if we'd done the same thing. Poor old SG would probably be swinging by a rope from the Blackburn End.  smile.gif

Luckily for us it also shows how relatively insignificant gate receipts are in comparison to TV/place/prize money etc.

363598[/snapback]

Around 500,000 , but there ground is quite a way out of the city and have been trying to do something about it for a while know, but still does It really matter to them that they only got 7000 for a worthless game. They are always in the top 5 richest clubs in the world in anycase

Jeez, another policemen spell checker on the run. It was a typo ffs, and as i wasnt writing a gov report but actually on a blackburn mb, im not gonna be too bothered about my spelling so along as you know what im saying. So p1ss off

363971[/snapback]

C'mon BRFC4EVA admit it . Flopsy wrote that reply for you .... tongue.gif

**UPDATE**

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 19838 (after 7 home games)

Wigans average attendance is 20655 (after 8 home games)

(817 behind)

Total attendances for both clubs are:-

Rovers tinykit.gif 138870

Wigan 165247

(26377 behind)

Rovers tinykit.gif next home league game is vs West ham (10th dec). Wigan`s is vs Charlton (17th dec)

My mate's a scouser living in Blackburn but of the red persuasion. Yesterday he went to watch Everton get beaten and he also took his two little fella's to the game (under 10's) and they sat in the familiy stand. Afterwards in the pub he asked me to guess the cost of his tickets. I had a wild guess at about £35-40. It turned out that the 3 tickets cost him £62 quid! Now I am no expert but asking neutrals to shell out that amount of money is beyond the pale and is maybe why crowds are reluctant to come to Ewood.

Perhaps if he had paid that amount and had a 30% discount voucher thrown in for any future games this season he may have viewed the value of his investment differently. If I put myself in his position by moving to another City with a team in the Prem I'm damned sure that I would have difficulty parting with that sort of money and would instead simply buy the relevant sky package which would give me access to my own teams games in the evening.

Us having the lowest crowds inthe Prem simply means we are the least stupid. If everyone else is daft enoughto lay out £30-£40 every other week for some of the crud on show then more fool them.

Least thats what I tell everyone who says `Sheet ground no fans`.

It's nothing to do with the ticket prices. BRISA have been investigating why attendances have dropped and their leading members are fully aware of who I blame. Yet they have done nothing but ridicule me while claiming to represent Blackburn supporters everywhere. No wonder I chose against attending their meetings.

Not only is it a no win situation regarding our manager and best players using the club as a stepping stone (Damien for example although in 97-98 when he first broke into the team he probably saw his long term future here back when the club had ambition. Walkers did nothing to persuade him to stay when Chelsea came in probably as one of them supposedly likes Chelsea according to someone on this board) but the inconsistency as well. Mark Hughes stated at the beginning of the season that the aim is to finish in the top half. Well Rovers keep getting to the verge of raching the top 10 but then results like yesterday's happen. Unless Rovers win something failure to break into the top 10 will be seen by me as exactly that...a failure.

The club is a victim of it's own success. On the 6th of Deceber 1997 Rovers were second in the table. How can you expect people to show up now that the club owners only intention seems to be languishing in midtable for years to come? Mark Hughes said it's going to be an exciting season. Compared to what this club has done in the past though some ans just don't see finishing in midtable as exciting.

The club is a victim of it's own success. On the 6th of Deceber 1997 Rovers were second in the table. How can you expect people to show up now that the club owners only intention seems to be languishing in midtable for years to come? Mark Hughes said it's going to be an exciting season. Compared to what this club has done in the past though some ans just don't see finishing in midtable as exciting.

364996[/snapback]

It`s the same for all the clubs Vinjay, who really expects the top four to be anything other than CFC,AFC, MUFC, LFC?

Vinjay, won obviously werent a Rovers fan back when we were in the 2nd or 3rd tiers of English football. Now im not saying i was, due to my age (18) ive been brought up on premiership football and i used to be somewhat like you. Why cant the walkers just buy everyone, why cant we win the prem again? Relegation changed my outlook on life, and now i am very happy to be a mid-table prem team. We are already punching above our weight, so back the team instead of moaning about investment. It just makes you sound ungrateful and arrogant, how many of the 92 league clubs would like to be in our position? 80+ that should put some perspective on things.

As for the gate y'sday, no supprise, whoevers idea it was to put that match as category A+ must be a complete idiot. West Ham will be an ok crowd next week cos it cate B and they will sell a fair few tickets!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.