BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair there is still a full 2 weeks of selling time for Everton fans for the game at Ewood from the point you mentioned. With sales on the day, hopefully they will sell around 5,000 tickets. If we can scrape 20,000 together we should see a 25K + crowd tinykit.gif

As usual in debates with the 'drog, you are correct Colin.

362329[/snapback]

Maybe so and therefore I must congratulate Colin on a notable first. However Philip in this instance I simply shot from the hip by working from memory rather than reference, so many apologies for any inadvertant innacuracy.

25,000+ at Carrow Road for the visit of Luton

30,000+ at St Marys for the local derby with Leeds

Whats going on?

362193[/snapback]

For a more realistic way of looking at these stats consider how many of Southmpton's (big city population) and Norwich's (the whole of Norfolk) potential support did not bother to attend.

I think it was 20 points, rather like the Latvians in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Sunderland dropped a couple of years ago with 19 points which is the record lowest for the Premiership, and they had the treat of 3 points for a win.

362323[/snapback]

It was 20 points and I don't think we got out of the bottom two places all season. After Jan the 1st 1966 we played 20 games in the league and lost 17 of them, of the last 13 games we lost 12 scoring 10 goals in the process, it was a miserable end to a dreadful season.

Having said that we played some brilliant football in the F.A. Cup scoring 16 goals in 6 games attracting two home gates of over 33,000 for the visits of Norwich and Sheff. Wed.

Maybe so and therefore I must congratulate Colin on a notable first.

362475[/snapback]

"Maybe?"

Grovel down before me you worthless worm. And if that was the first, (which it wasn't) then the second is currently on the "Immigration" thread in ICBINF.

Grovel in the gravel. Ooooh yeh baby.

Colin, your Duck duck duck duck duck episode of the Simpsons was on Sky tonight.

Although you have changed your sig now.

Sorry.

362828[/snapback]

I missed it! Had to take the daughter*1 to Guides & then buy a kettle and some frozen peas*2 from Morrisons in Cheadle

It'll be on again, I'll see it again.

*1 the little bully told me to change my sig. to the choo choo one.

*2 I won't bore you with the full shopping list, but I did pick up some good value runner beans and some Warburton's crumpets (two for the price of one) Probably made by illegal killer Muslim immigrants -just to get it back on topic before Flopsy punishes me.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970210101247/...news/news3.html

Interesting article here. Interesting quotes like "We have, are and will ALWAYS be in the market for top players."

"We have attracted a succession of top footballers to Blackburn in the past few years - not just one - and we have never been a one-man team in my book. Our squad is brimming over with players of international standing and we will compete with the best, for the best - and that's a PROMISE."

"We are all here to try our damnedst to achieve success over the long-term on a regular basis. My dream was to build this club into one capable of challenging for the very top HONOURS. We've known what it is like to be king of the castle and to play in Europe and we are hungry for more."

Pity his family don't seem to have read his quotes.

Vinjay, to say you are this sites number one plonker would be an understatement.

You want someone to throw their hard earned into the black hole that football is. Well, Vinjay, show us the way, start with your three bob......

You clearly have no understanding of finance or business or football.

All I can suggest is, go back to school and start all over again.

Vinjay, to be honest, the involvement of the Jersey trust in Blackburn rovers, is something that rovers fans should have a right to know about.

BRISA has brought the subject up with the club. The only way to find out about the long term committment, or otherwise of the trust, is to ask them directly.

The club have offered to help BRISA make some contact with the trustees, but in all truth the nature of a trust is to be "unseen" - if that's the right word. We [bRISA] will endeavour to get something from them in the future, but can't guarantee what response, if any, we get.

EDIT: Short mention in the minutes with the club here

Den, Rovers fans may have a right to know about the Trust's involvement in the Rovers, but that is about as far as it goes. In fact, we known that they have an involvement. What more do you need to know?

They don't have any right to know how the Trust wants to exercise their invovlement either by direction or monetary. Suffice to say, they are carrying out the wishes of the benefactor of the trust.

Personally, I think we should be grateful that Jack Walker became the Rovers Patron and included them in his will. The Rovers are possibly the only club in the League that receives such a large sum from the forethought af a wealthy fan.

Had Uncle Jack not thought ahead, the Rovers would be floundering now.

Den, Rovers fans may have a right to know about the Trust's involvement in the Rovers, but that is about as far as it goes. In fact, we known that they have an involvement. What more do you need to know?

They don't have any right to know how the Trust wants to exercise their invovlement either by direction or monetary. Suffice to say, they are carrying out the wishes of the benefactor of the trust.

Personally, I think we should be grateful that Jack Walker became the Rovers Patron and included them in his will. The Rovers are possibly the only club in the League that receives such a large sum from the forethought af a wealthy fan.

Had Uncle Jack not thought ahead, the Rovers would be floundering now.

363260[/snapback]

Yep, I agree with most of that. However, when Jack died, Roy Egerton-Vernon did indeed clarify the position of the trust as regards the short/medium term future of BRFC.

Nothing has been heard since from them, so surely it wouldn't be too much of a problem for them to clarify the position today. I.E; Exactly what is their committment to rovers?

Edited by den

Den.

There will come a time, where the Trustees will wind up the Trust, sell all the assets, pay off all the debts (of the trust) and distribute the remainder to the beneficiaries. I doubt that the Rovers would be a beneficiary.

If I were the spokesman for the trust, the answer to any question regarding the Rovers would be that it is being "looked after" in term of the trust deed.

Does anyone know whether the Trust deed is "public knowledge" and whether it can be inspected?

http://web.archive.org/web/19970210101247/...news/news3.html

Interesting article here. Interesting quotes like "We have, are and will ALWAYS be in the market for top players."

"We have attracted a succession of top footballers to Blackburn in the past few years - not just one - and we have never been a one-man team in my book. Our squad is brimming over with players of international standing and we will compete with the best, for the best - and that's a PROMISE."

"We are all here to try our damnedst to achieve success over the long-term on a regular basis. My dream was to build this club into one capable of challenging for the very top HONOURS. We've known what it is like to be king of the castle and to play in Europe and we are hungry for more."

Pity his family don't seem to have read his quotes.

363252[/snapback]

Downright disloyal of Jack to go and die of throat cancer like that, wasn't it Vinjay?

The bet looks a bit safer now- Wigan's gate against Spurs yesterday was almost identical to the gate we got against Spurs at the start of the season.

With Wigan now slipping down the table, their gates will probably slide as well.

363407[/snapback]

And just to elaborate a bit..........

I think Spurs had just about sold their 5000 allocation yesterday and though I don't remember just how many Spurs brought to Ewood, it was an evening game (c2500?).

You're not doomed yet Gav biggrin.gif .

Another team struggling to get people through the gates this season is Aston Villa.

Barely broke the 30K mark yesterday - around 8K down on their average last season. Appalling gate for a team with a market the size of Birmingham.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.