BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

Bolton are averaging more than 25,200 in the league this season so it is highly likely that "floating supporters" in the Darwen/Chorley/Horwich areas have switched from Ewood to the Reebok.

Not surprising really in view of the dire "entertainment" served up at Ewood last season and the fact that (unbelievably) Bolton are seen as "sexier" because of Big Sam's high media profile and the club's good run in Europe. Beating Arsenal last week did them no harm either.

Rovers giving Bolton a good stuffing at home next month might go some way towards winning those fans back.

Edited by jim mk2

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jim makes a very valid point- Rovers' support south and south west of the club must have taken a battering from the rise of Bolton and Wigan.

When I lived in Darwen, there was negligible support for Bolton in the town- even when they were in the first division (proper). But I bet Rovers' support in places like Belmont and Horwich is close to non-existant now.

Back to the QPR debate. Lee has made two valid points on the official board-

Rovers are probably proposing £10 and £1 pricing but don't hold your breath because,

QPR ticket prices for their game against the dingles this week-end are appreciably higher than Rovers are charging for the visit of West Ham.

Edited by philipl

7 Prem clubs, all doing well, in the North West and 2 in or around the play off positions in the Championship. The plain fact is that there are simply not enough fans to go round.

Personally I know of 2 families with split loyalties who have deserted the Rovers this season because of such poor fare over the past few years and now have season tickets at Deepdale. We cannot do much about the big 4 but like it or not PNE, Bolton, Burnley and Wigan are our enemies in a business sense. More than mere rivels really, for us to prosper they must not be successful.

Bolton are averaging more than 25,200 in the league this season so it is highly likely that "floating supporters" in the Darwen/Chorley/Horwich areas have switched from Ewood to the Reebok.

Not surprising really in view of the dire "entertainment" served up at Ewood last season and the fact that (unbelievably) Bolton are seen as "sexier" because of Big Sam's high media profile and the club's good run in Europe. Beating Arsenal last week did them no harm either.

Rovers giving Bolton a good stuffing at home next month might go some way towards winning those fans back.

365415[/snapback]

Bolton also had a massive marketing hit due to the success of Phonenix Nights/ Amarillo, at absolutely no cost to them, lucky goits. Doesnt sound like much, but believe me it is - the manufacturers of the Pakistan shirt Peter Kay wore in Max and Paddy have gone so far as to reissuing it.

Also echoe the sentiments about the number of Lancs teams doing well - remember ten or so years ago the roverstore used to sell merch with 'lancashires premier league club!' written on it!

Edited by andy82

Isn't Bolton far bigger than blackburn in terms of population?

personally, i know two people who had ST's last year and have not renewed, partly because of the dire entertainment last year but also because if they view it it as a must watch game, they can just buy individual tickets.

Supply always exceeds demand unfortunately, but they also get around 10-15 rovers games a season in the pub due to the foreign channels and sky.

wink.gif

for me it is like a drug, and i need to be at ewood, but we seem to be dwindling mad.gif

"Also echoe the sentiments about the number of Lancs teams doing well - remember ten or so years ago the roverstore used to sell merch with 'lancashires premier league club!' written on it!"

I still have one of those. Absolutely love it. heres to the decline of all the scum in the region=)

***UPDATE***

After 8 home games each, Rovers tinykit.gif are trailing behind Wigan with their average attendances.....

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 19905

Wigan`s average attendance is 20655

(behind by average of 750

Total attendances for both clubs are:-

Rovers tinykit.gif159240

Wigan 165247

(6007 behind

The next 3 home games for each club are :-

ROVERS...Sunderland,Portsmouth & Bolton..(one big gate there....guarranteed)

WIGAN...Charlton, Man City & ROVERS...(two big gates there....guarranteed)

Edited by cletus

Cletus how did our average go down even though we had a higher than average crowd on Saturday? I think the average is 19905 possibly just a typo. It will be interesting to see it pan out, I think Wigan's will drop massively if they lose a few.

Edited by Manchester Blue

Cletus how did our average go down even though we had a higher than average crowd on Saturday? I think the average is 19905 possibly just a typo.  It will be interesting to see it pan out,  I think Wigan's will drop massively if they lose a few.

366326[/snapback]

Yeh your right ive just checked out soccer-stats and it is 19905. For the rest of the season, bar portsmouth i dont expect any sub 20K gates. Wigan will have as they drop down the league.

365415[/snapback]

I can't say I've seen much in the way of entertainment at any Bolton games I've seen. Not from Bolton anyway.

***UPDATE***

After 8 home games each, Rovers tinykit.gif  are trailing behind Wigan with their average attendances.....

Rovers  tinykit.gif average attendance is 19905

Wigan`s average attendance is 20655

(behind by average of 750

Rovers  tinykit.gif  159240

Wigan 165247

(6007 behind

WIGAN...Charlton, Man City & ROVERS...(two big gates there....guarranteed)

366321[/snapback]

Blimey, I hadn't realised that the gates had got that bad at Rovers. Even Sydney FC are getting over 17000 per game!

***UPDATE***

After Wigan`s 9th home game, Rovers (8 home games) tinykit.gif are still trailing behind Wigan with their average attendances.....

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 19905

Wigan`s average attendance is 20258

...behind by an average of 353 (down from 750)

Rovers tinykit.gif159240

Wigan 182321

...23081 behind (Rovers have 1 game in hand)

WIGAN...Man City, ROVERS & West Brom...(two big gates there....guarranteed)

(Both teams have now played Fulham,Spurs,Newcastle & Charlton at home. Rovers have only had the bigger gate vs Charlton)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.