BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who moan about the stewarding at the Blackburn End- read that article's comments about how a Rangers' fan found our stewarding at the Darwen End.

Really embarassing for Rovers.

373232[/snapback]

I Remember a time not to long ago when both stewards and police were praised by away fans for being the best in the country. I wonder whats gone wrong?

I'm still confident we'll out support the pie eaters...

With todays 'local derby' only set to attract around 19,000  its going to be  very close this bet of yours Gav! unsure.gif

374410[/snapback]

Hmmm yeah, i agree unsure.gif

...Not long ago, a derby game vs Notlob would`ve attracted a 25k crowd.

Alas, a silly kick-off time, SKY tv & a run of 4 home games in close succession has surely affected a possible 'biggest gate of season so far' sad.gif

*Wigan`s home game vs Notlob only attracted a crowd of 20553*

***GAV`S £50 BET UPDATE***

Both Rovers & Wigan played home games this weekend, with dissapointing attendances for either side. Here`s how they stand:-

Rovers v Bolton...att 18180

Wigan v WBA...att 17421

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is now 19694 after 10 home games (down 168)

Wigan`s average attendance is now 20450 after 12 home games (down 275)

(Rovers are an average of 756 behind Wigan)

Rovers tinykit.gif total attendances are 196941

Wigan`s total attendances are 245398

(Rovers behind by 48457 but have 2 games in hand)

Next home games for each side are...

Rovers...Man Ure, Sunderland & Arsenal

Wigan...Everton, Liverpool & Man Ure (3 sell outs almost guarranteed)

TBH, i can`t see Rovers beating any of Wigan`s gates in the next 3 games. Rovers fans will probably be sick of the sight of Man Ure by the time our league game comes around. If we cannot get a decent gate for the Man Ure game, then i fear it`s game,set & match for Gav`s bet unsure.gif

I am sure when Gav made the bet, he didn't think we'd get 18,000 for the Bolton game.

In my books, 23,000 is a bad gate for that one!

We used to get 20,000 home gates against Bolton when our average for other games was 8,000.

The Liverpool game will also be a poor attendance. The Premiership have it scheduled to be played on the day of the Hillsborough Disaster so the scousers are campaigning to get it moved. If the League doesn't move this fixture, it means we will be playing Liverpool at exactly the same time the memorial service is being held at Anfield and the Liverpool fans will have organised a boycott of our game.

Edited by philipl

How can it be moved to the sunday, thats easter sunday for crying out loud! Considering we then have b'ham on wed i cant see how they can move it. They will sell out 7,500 anyway.

375219[/snapback]

With a spot of luck it will be moved for sky anyway.

And teams never ever play on Sunday and Wednesday of the same week, ever, honest. rolleyes.gif

If the League doesn't move this fixture, it means we will be playing Liverpool at exactly the same time the memorial service is being held at Anfield and the Liverpool fans will have organised a boycott of our game.

375012[/snapback]

I hope they do boycott the game, as that will give Rovers an advantage as Liverpool usually bring a large and vocal following which can only help their team.

I'll take the three points over th gate receipts thanks.

With a spot of luck it will be moved for sky anyway.

And teams never ever play on Sunday and Wednesday of the same week, ever, honest.  rolleyes.gif

375274[/snapback]

What i meant Stu, is that as it cant be played on Easter sunday, cos it is easter, it cant be moved to monday, cos we have a game on wed, so i cant really see how it will be changed from the sat. I for 1 really hope that it isnt changed for sky as a sat 3pm kick off against l'pool shud see our highest crowd of the season.

Still think Rovers and Gav can win this bet.

We've still got Liverpool to come, which will be very likely to be moved, as well as Manure who will sell out their end. Wigan seem to be sliding down the league and loosing fans as they do so. If their form continues to slump they won't be pulling the crowds as they won't be challenging for europe and won't be near relegation - arguably 'meaningles' matches - which will deter attendance. If our form continues however a top 6, or more likely a top 8 spot is well within reach hence generating a greater interest amongst fans.

I hope they do boycott the game, as that will give Rovers an advantage as Liverpool usually bring a large and vocal following which can only help their team.

I'll take the three points over th gate receipts thanks.

375307[/snapback]

Ever considered the distinct and very real possibility of low gate receipts AND no points?

Business is business I'm afraid.

13,326 at Bolton last night for a fourth round tie with Arsenal. I suspect Rovers probably wouldn't have done much better.

How much longer is it going to take the powers that be to realise over-exposure is ruining attendances? I had planned to watch this match, to some extent I was put off by the swathes of empty seats, the Arsenal reserves plus Bolton were missing six? I believe the Reebok attendance is clear demonstration of the disastrous impact Sky money (yes I know it was on the Beeb) has had on our game:

Presumably fans watched on TV

5.45pm on a cold Saturday is hardly encouraging the walk-ups

Arsenal field the reserves - Wenger is clearly concentrating on Real Madrid and the Champions League (more money)

Bolton can't afford UK, or even European, players so half their team is in the African nations cup

Sky money is responsible for the ridiculous price of quality players

Sky money is responsible for the obscene wages paid to these players

I've been thinking for a while one solution could be to limit the number of games on TV dramatically. No more Sky games Saturday to Tuesday. Allow Sky to pick one major fixture to broadcast on a Saturday afternoon, even a 3.00pm kick-off. Even allow them to make the decision the previous weekend; let the rest of us get back to watching football at 3.00 on a Saturday. This won't have an impact on gates as they are falling already

Attendances next season are going to plummet and the only reason is too much football on TV. The only real solution to a mounting crisis is to restrict the product availability.

After Wigan`s home game against Everton last night (21731) Here`s how they stand:-

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 19694 after 10 home games (down 168)

Wigan`s average attendance is now 20548 after 13 home games (up 98)

(Rovers are an average of 854 behind Wigan)

Rovers tinykit.gif total attendances are 196941

Wigan`s total attendances are 267129

(Rovers behind by 70188 but have 3 games in hand)

...Hopefully the gap will close a bit after tonights game with the red scum unsure.gif

If the missing four or five thousand can't be tempted back after tonight's game, then they need treatment. Having said that, there were supposed to be 6,000 empty seats, that's equivalent to the whole of the Darwen End Lower being empty plus a further one thousand. There's no way there were that many not taken....hmmmmmmm, dodgy.

If the missing four or five thousand can't be tempted back after tonight's game, then they need treatment. Having said that, there were supposed to be 6,000 empty seats, that's equivalent to the whole of the Darwen End Lower being empty plus a further one thousand. There's no way there were that many not taken....hmmmmmmm, dodgy.

380827[/snapback]

500 Empty in the BBE lower

1000 in theUpper

1000 in the Riverside

Cant see the JW. Was it 75% full?

Watched the game on Match of The Day tonight (too far for me to travel on a weeknight).

Looked like a great game but nearly fell off my chair when I saw the gate at under 26K !! Unless someone at the game can say otherwise I am 100% certain there were not 5000 empty seats - it looked full on TV.

I would need some convincing that there were only 26K at Ewood tonight - watch out rovers the taxman will be knocking on your door !

After Rovers fantastic home win against the Red Scum last night & a season best attendance of 25484, here`s how it looks:-

Rovers tinykit.gif average attendance is 20220 after 11 home games (up 526)

Wigan`s average attendance is now 20548 after 13 home games (up 98)

(Rovers are an average of 328 behind Wigan)

Rovers tinykit.gif total attendances are 222425

Wigan`s total attendances are 267129

(Rovers behind by 44704 but have 2 games in hand)

...both teams next 3 home games are:-

Rovers tinykit.gif ...Sunderland, Arsenal & Aston Villa

Wigan...Liverpool, Man Ure & West ham (i`d say 2 near sell-outs there?)

...both teams have now played Fulham,Spuds,Newcastle,WBA,Charlton,Everton & Bolton at home, with Wigan having the larger gate on 4 occasions..(Fulham,Spuds,Newcastle & Bolton) & Rovers vs WBA, Charlton & Everton.

Let`s hope last nights excellent result can coax a few more out of the woodwork!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.