BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely!, SURELY! SURELY! the folk of Blackburn will come in increasing numbers to watch us now wont they? unsure.gif

We had just under 18,000 home supporters there last night to witness that magnificent game and for what is traditionally the biggest fixture of the season.

Its poor......Look at it from whatever angle you want, make excuses,patch it up any way you like but it MUST improve for the sake of the clubs future.

Surely!, SURELY! SURELY! the folk of Blackburn will come in increasing numbers to watch us now wont they? unsure.gif

We had just under 18,000 home supporters there last night to witness that magnificent game and for what is traditionally the biggest fixture of the season.

Its poor......Look at it from whatever angle you want, make excuses,patch it up any way you like but it MUST improve for the sake of the clubs future.

381025[/snapback]

i'd say the crowd last night was calculated wrongly. i didnt see 6,000 empty seats from where i was. (riverside), maybe they were all in there ?

They were only allocated 6,500 tickets according to their website.

Arse is gona be a poor crowd cos its cat A+ prices, villa is on tv and sunderland is on a week day. Whereas wigan have l'pool and manure in the next 2. Still back us to pull it out the bag!

Even when the game isn't on Sky it is often on some foreign channel.

Wednesday's match against United for example was shown at some pubs around Blackburn. That can't be helping the attendances. Even on saturdays at 3pm there are games on in the local pubs, albeit not necessarily Rovers.

Mind you, presumably Wigan have to put up with that as well.

Has anyone else noticed JW comments about more enforcise on the youth team due to our "worrying decline" in attendences while talking about the Zurab deal. Anyone else get the idea he is giving up on the Blackburn public turning up in decent amounts, well without giving them a free ticket and putting a gun to their head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/4687096.stm

John Williams says in his annual report that "the club must try harder and we will" to address the decline in gates.

He could do worse than spend an evening in pubs like the Horden Rake and ask the locals why they no longer atttend matches at Ewood Park.

He might learn something.

black the games out 10 miles around blackburn if the games not sold out a la nfl.

382078[/snapback]

Make Ewood the only place in town you can get an inebriating beverage when games are on. Include the 1/2 hour before and after the match biggrin.gif

Has anyone else noticed JW comments about more enforcise on the youth team due to our "worrying decline" in attendences while talking about the Zurab deal.  Anyone else get the idea he is giving up on the Blackburn public turning up in decent amounts, well without giving them a free ticket and putting a gun to their head.

382441[/snapback]

I suppose he is trying to spur the Blackburn public into action by making it clear what the concequences of staying away in numbers are. I don't see much wrong with that provided they are doing everything they can from their end, which it appear to me they pretty nearly are.

Its an accurate prognosis from the Chairman.

I think it is worth a punt on free tickets for kids under 12 (will force their folks to bring them, future Rovers hopefully) and more needs to be done to attract the Asian population. Apart from that I can't see too much that would have a huge impact, but this has been done to death.

I think rovers need to employ somebody to work in partnership with the Asian Communities to try and help this matter.

Its slowly improving, but not quick enough. Imagine if we could only attract 1 in 10 asian youths in blackburn - Even that would increase our support by alot!

Has anyone else noticed JW comments about more enforcise on the youth team due to our "worrying decline" in attendences while talking about the Zurab deal.  Anyone else get the idea he is giving up on the Blackburn public turning up in decent amounts, well without giving them a free ticket and putting a gun to their head.

382441[/snapback]

JW has been saying this for a while now. It makes sense to me and I can't see what else the club can do.

I was struck by the proportion of non-white (I've no idea about their ethnicity) fans at WBA on Saturday. Those I spoke to hada broad brummy accent so I'd guess where third generation.

Double Ewood Park up as a football ground/Mosque?

382557[/snapback]

How long before that is a serious suggestion ?

And in this multi-cultural society isn't it racist to try and impose our values on the Asians by cajoling them down to Ewood ? Let's concentrate on those who have lasped but still feel some degree of affinity with the town and its club . Those and the kids are our only hope of getting the figures up .

Edited by blue phil

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.