SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***UPDATE***

After an excellent 9 points haul over the christmas period, only a disappointing crowd of 19521 turned out to watch the rejuvenated Rovers beat Portsmouth. OK, it was live on SKY tv but i shudder to think what the crowd would`ve been without the 'kid for a quid' offer unsure.gif

Anyway, Rovers average crowd dropped slightly....

Rovers average league attendance is 19862 after 9 homes (down 43)

Wigan`s average league attendance is 20725 (after 11 homes)

(Rovers behind by an average of 863)

Total league attendances are:-

Rovers ...178761

Wigan...227977

(Rovers behind by 49261, but have 2 games in hand)

The next 3 home league games for both clubs are:-

Rovers ...Bolton & Man Ure & Arsenal (3 decent crowds?? huh.gif )

Wigan ...WBA, Everton & Liverpool (2 biggies there)

We've played all the big teams away from home apart from Spurs and that will mean our second half attendances should be a little bit better. Also should consider the fact that we've only had one league game while we've been in the top half, that was tonight after a packed christmas period against a pretty uninteresting opposition who only brought 400 fans themselves so 19,482 of our own lot isn't too bad. Consider the other day at Wigan, around 20,000 and 5,200 of those were so Wigan only had 15,000 there.

I'd expect that with better games to look forward to in the second half of the season and with things on the up and a very positive feel around the place then we could see that average make it up to 22,000-23,000. Who knows, maybe it could even get higher, not really sure.

It looked like a 22,000 plus. It was the first time this season the BBE was full, at recent games it has had a great many empty seats. strangely though it was the quietest BBE this season with hardly a sound apart from the occasional "M H's Blue and white Army".

I supose the let down for the gate was the visiting Pompey support although what they lacked in numbers they made up for in noise.

i am certainly hoping it is a case of a tax and not a true reflection of the actual attendance. was the top tier of darwen end being used? the riverside looked pretty full along with blackburn end bottom tier, so that only leaves bbe top tier and jack walker stand.

just on the attendances though - for a long time fans have been crying for some good footy at ewood park and some consistency aswell. now since the start of the season, we have scored some awesome goals, none more so than reidy's effort on saturday. we are also playing some good, attractive and attacking football with the solidity in defence to match. i appreicate it takes time to get people back on board but surely some people should start thinking about going again!

Watched on Sky last Nnght, looked like all areas except the Darwen End Upper and Pompeys half of the Darwen End lower were almost full.

Living down on the south coast I have been able to give a few pompey fans some stick today. Interestingly, spoke to one guy who travelled up last night, and he was astonished to see the gate at only 19.5K. His words "Looked close on a sell out for the home areas from where I was sat, not a chance there were only 19K in that stadium last night" - obvisouly he couldn't see the darwen end upper. But still must have a been way over 19.5K.

Maybe a tax dodge - trying to save some cash to cover the cost of the fine for Wednesdays postponment !

Looking out from the FS;

Darwen End

Upper tier shut

Away section - 500

Home section - 1500

That's 6000 empty seats

JW - large gaps in the upper tier

Riverside - gaps on the outer edges

BBE looked full

FS - hard to say but seemed busier than usual

My estimates were slightly different...

Darwen End - 3000

BBE Lower - all but full

BBE Upper - around 2/3 full - seen on a photo taken from the Darren End

Riverside - 500 empty seats

JW Lower - all but full

JW Upper - cant see.

I am fairly sure they didnt include the Darren End Lower last night in the attendance, wasnt it the offer were kids pay a fiver and schools get £3 back for each at the end of the season? In which case they wont include them on the gate?

The FS had the most in I have seen all season at about 50 to 60%.

The JW upper where I was was its usual empty state apatrt from the BBE Wing.

The key thing is getting more on; with our recent entertaining displays and fantastic goals we should be attracting more. The forthcoming BRISA meeting with JW and TF should be be fruitful.

I am fairly sure they didnt include the Darren End Lower last night in the attendance, wasnt it the offer were kids pay a fiver and schools get £3 back for each at the end of the season?  In which case they wont include them on the gate?

371091[/snapback]

I don't know how the club works that one; it would be interesting to find out. We can ask the question next week. If you're right then last night's attendance was good considering the weather, Sky, Xmas, the opposition etc.

If it was 19521 as announced, I still feel we put on extra 2000 home fans as most gates seem to be working out at around 17000.

Just been down to the TO for my QPR tickets and the queue was massive, I counted twenty ahead and about the same behind me in the line.

Could be that everyone completely forgot about the FA Cup game until now (I know I did) or that we've quite a few home games upcoming, but it was still encouraging.

Yup, 29 in the queue I was - the last time I was in a queue for the ticket office was when we played Burnley away.

371144[/snapback]

We dont realise just how easy it really is to get tickets normally. I've been on for q15 mins and gone from 31-9 in that time.

Still think we need a decent internet booking facility not the shambles we have now, and it should be an 01254 number not a fee taking one. Oh and give me a chance to lose the messages at the start, I can read that online first thanks. Minor gripes though really as normally they are very good.

We dont realise just how easy it really is to get tickets normally.  I've been on for q15 mins and gone from 31-9 in that time.

Still think we need a decent internet booking facility not the shambles we have now, and it should be an 01254 number not a fee taking one.  Oh and give me a chance to lose the messages at the start, I can read that online first thanks.  Minor gripes though really as normally they are very good.

371151[/snapback]

They've also cottoned onto the fact where you used to be able to press 9 and it'd skip all the information bit. Now they've stuck 'membership' information on there!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.