BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

There is no doubt about it, all these so called Rovers fans bleating on about prices why do they not buy a season ticket,the club has bent over backwards to keep them as cheap as possible even from £270 and take an average price from the riverside about £350 for 20 games thats £17.50 a game to watch premiership football. and they even give 11 months direct debit which only cost 7% extra.I know individual prices for cat a plus are dear but how can Rovers, price them at £10 pounds like people suggest its impossible we should all be on our bended knees and be so thankful that we are in the premiership Jack Walker will be turning in his grave,I know guys who went to Salzburg non season ticket holders spent £400 had a great time,nothing wrong in that,and then turn round and say I cant afford a season ticket, get real, forget watching in the pub and get down to Ewood...........

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to god on Thursday we don't have the embarassment of having a lower crowd that season tickets sold despite the game being free for us.

Everyone was talking 'EUROPE EUROPE EUROPE' last season but yet again I don't see anything else but a reduced attendance, i'm sorry to say. The support out in Austria was fantastic, lets hope that it can be carried on to the home leg.

We all want to qualify for Europe then when it happens nobody turns up! Let's hope it is different this time with S/T holders getting in free and the reduced price of £15.00 for everyone else! :brfc:

Is the reduction in disposable income over the past few years. The rise in petrol prices, gas and electricity and the increase in interest rates have all meant that I have other priorities to spend my money on before I think about going to the Rovers.

Is my excuse and not because I just cant be bothered anymore :(

:) You'll be telling us next that the official inflation rate is a load of made up figures..... :huh:

Lee (or anyone else for that matter) - I'm interested in joining the Proud To Be A Rover membership scheme. However, I buy all my tickets over the phone. Will this represent a problem when trying to use the vouchers? For example can you give them a voucher reference number, or do you have to go to the ticet office in person or even send off the vouchers?

As long as you go to two games a season, this offer has got to be a no-brainer?

This will rumble on and on.

I posted a while back, stating that although the so called Rovers fans who don't attend Ewood on a regular basis will lead you to believe it's because of the pricing - for the majority it simply isn't. Yes, football is an expensive event to attend these days, but the people we are dealing with here would be unlikeley to attend Ewood on a regular basis unless you give them a free ticket, free taxi to and from the ground and complimentary food and drink at the ground, and even then you'd be lucky to get some of them to go more than once.

The fact is they sit in the pub (drinking beer and spending money) on a saturday afternoon bleating on about how they are a big rovers fan but just can't afford to go. Resolve the pricing issue and they'll simply come up with another reason not to go. Fact is, they just don't want to. This theory has been pretty much proved, the club offers certain games at £10 a ticket for example, and where are these people then - you guessed it, not at Ewood!

This post is not directed at those people who genuineley can't afford to go to watch rovers, so please don't take offence. It is directed at those whinging so called rovers fans who could afford to go to a handful of games but don't. If we really want a top six premiership club in Blackburn I think that it is about time the town showed it, by getting behind the club and attending matches.

Rant over, sorry.......

:ph34r:

There is no doubt about it, all these so called Rovers fans bleating on about prices why do they not buy a season ticket,the club has bent over backwards to keep them as cheap as possible even from £270 and take an average price from the riverside about £350 for 20 games thats £17.50 a game to watch premiership football. and they even give 11 months direct debit which only cost 7% extra.I know individual prices for cat a plus are dear but how can Rovers, price them at £10 pounds like people suggest its impossible we should all be on our bended knees and be so thankful that we are in the premiership Jack Walker will be turning in his grave,I know guys who went to Salzburg non season ticket holders spent £400 had a great time,nothing wrong in that,and then turn round and say I cant afford a season ticket, get real, forget watching in the pub and get down to Ewood...........

Two top posts that accurately reflect the current 'I don't care a stuff as long as I can get p1ssed up' attitude in the town. It really is a poor do but maybe simply a reflection of the values (or lack of them) of today's society

Lets see how many 'walk-ons' appear next Thursday with season ticket holders getting in free.....I bet the fair- weathers are moaning about that now in the pubs and clubs of Blackburn. :blink:

You just get the feeling Rovers are p1ssing against the wind constantly.

Why don`t you get off your high-horse? You constantly gripe on about 'non attendees' when you know absolutely NOTHING about their personal circumstances. When you start paying my bills, you can dictate where i spend my money.

....On a different note, I (& 2 others) will be attending the Salzburg game on Thursday night for the following reasons:-

a... All 3 of us happen to be off work at the same time (as we all work shifts)

b... We all think £15 is a fair price to pay for 90 mins football.

....It`s as simple as that. ;)

Edited by cletus

.....And why dont you calm down. :rolleyes:

...well, why not show a bit of tollerance towards other boardmembers instead of the "I`m hollier than thou because i have a season ticket" attitude you band around at every opportunity.

:)

My posts are clearly aimed at the 'lets all watch football and spend our coin in the pub brigade' Cletus....never aimed at individual boardmembers,I understand there are many people who genuinely cant afford it.

As for the I'm holier than thou bit.............. give over eh! :rolleyes:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Cletus.... according to Unsall.......

There is no doubt about it, all these so called Rovers fans bleating on about prices why do they not buy a season ticket,the club has bent over backwards to keep them as cheap as possible even from £270 and take an average price from the riverside about £350 for 20 games thats £17.50 a game to watch premiership football. and they even give 11 months direct debit which only cost 7% extra.

according to you .....

a... All 3 of us happen to be off work at the same time (as we all work shifts)

b... We all think £15 is a fair price to pay for 90 mins football.

....It`s as simple as that. ;)

So either £2 is the issue (and btw I'm not having that unless you tell me directly that it is) or your work means that you will not be able to take in every match. So the club should take a look at flexible season tickets to accomodate the new phenomena of Sky kick off times, KO changes to accommodate more European competitions played on Thursdays(hopefully), and the modern prediliction to 4 day shifts. Anybody know if this has been investigated by the Rovers?

So the club should take a look at flexible season tickets to accomodate the new phenomena of Sky kick off times, KO changes to accommodate more European competitions played on Thursdays(hopefully), and the modern prediliction to 4 day shifts. Anybody know if this has been investigated by the Rovers?

Hang on...when I mentioned that on another thread you responded with something along the lines of not 'thinking big'...

The cost of watching top flight football in this country.

http://survey.sky.com/morethan/Default.asp...sarticle_id=288

Shocked to see ticket prices in Germany are so cheap, from £7 to £8 and not much more in Spain and Italy.

Don't know how this works but earlier in this thread Paul informed us that the AVERAGE amount paid per ticket at BRFC is just £13! Makes you wonder where the 'can't affords / can't be arsed cos it's too dear / I'd rather spend it on ale' brigade expect BRFC to go next with admission prices.

btw I read the earlier pages on this thread and it's now become just a revolving argument and pointless waste of time. The novelty of watching top level football has simply worn off for many of the less interested.

Don't know how this works but earlier in this thread Paul informed us that the AVERAGE amount paid per ticket at BRFC is just £13! Makes you wonder where the 'can't affords / can't be arsed cos it's too dear / I'd rather spend it on ale' brigade expect BRFC to go next with admission prices.

btw I read the earlier pages on this thread and it's now become just a revolving argument and pointless waste of time. The novelty of watching top level football has simply worn off for many of the less interested.

I think you're right, but the stay-aways still want to keep bragging righta about being Rovers supporters so cover up their disinterest with price whinges.

This thread is pointless, nearly as bad as the "Killing Us!" thread. People are getting angry and personal about the whole affair.

We're all Rovers supporters. If you live in and about Blackburn, then you've the opportunity to go see Premiership football live 19 times a season. If you really wanted to go to Ewood, then most could make it financially, even for cat A+ matches. The maximum that it could possibly cost is £36 x 19 = £684. Per year. Tell me that you don't smoke (generally comes to a lot more than that) or drink much (people will still generally spend more than that), or participate in a range of other leisure activities that will generally all come to, at least, that figure above. Looking at that, rather paltry, figure for the length of a season watching Rovers, the conclusion must be that you've de-prioritized Rovers as a leisure activity. It's just not important enough to you to spend that much a year. Which is fine. But don't bleat that it's all about price.

Incidentally, travel of any kind will add to that cost, I'm aware. And I'm aware that many of us don't live in or about Blackburn. Or work shift work. But the COST of getting into Ewood Park, per person, is not exorbitant. Not cheap either, mind. And having top-level football in your town is not something to moan about.

I don't buy the "falling white population" argument put forward earlier either. The long and the short of it is that thousands of people of all races, colours and creeds turn up at Prem grounds to shout for their local team. Maybe the "growing non-white population" just don't feel like Rovers is their club? Could that be changed?

This is not a holier than thou rant, mainly because I'm not holier than most. I live in Ireland, and don't get to Ewood much. I will be there later in the season though (have to work out scheduling yet) so I'll see you all (who decide to come) there.

I'm a ST holder as of Friday and be at the Salzburg game on Thursday. I'd have been a ST holder years ago if could have got to Ewood everyweek. I hate reading about people moaning about the price of football, i got my ST for £240, yes i know its a young adults one but its still a season ticket in the BBurn End. In comparison to plenty of other teams it offers great value for money.

I felt very proud when i turned up to collect my ST on friday from the ticket office, i were excited on the way from Bolton to get it and along the way from the trainstation to ground. I've always wanted one and now i got one :).

This thread is pointless, almost as pointless as this reply!

People on here shouldn't be having a pop at those who say they cannot afford to attend the matches. It's a very arrogant viewpoint.

I personally think Rovers offer very good value for money, hence we have 4 ST's in our house. However, being frank, I must admit the whole greedy, face-in-the-trough mentality that courses through the game is starting to p me off.

Cletus.... according to Unsall.......

according to you .....

So either £2 is the issue (and btw I'm not having that unless you tell me directly that it is) or your work means that you will not be able to take in every match. So the club should take a look at flexible season tickets to accomodate the new phenomena of Sky kick off times, KO changes to accommodate more European competitions played on Thursdays(hopefully), and the modern prediliction to 4 day shifts. Anybody know if this has been investigated by the Rovers?

My work means i probably miss up to half of Rovers home games, so a s/t is out of the question. My other Rovers 'buddy' works with me, so has the same problem. My 3rd Rovers 'buddy' also works shifts for a different company(not exactly sure what days/hours) but his wife is a plod (which means she works when Rovers are playing) & they have a baby......which pretty much makes him the babysitter :(

....so like i say, it`s not often all 3 of us are available at the same time, when the Rovers are playing.

Even this coming Thursday, me & my mate are working until 7pm, so we`ll have to 'leg it' from over Preston way to get to the match for 7.45pm.....thus meaning no tea & no beer & smelly work gear for us.

I still feel £15 is a reasonable price to pay for 90mins football though. ;)

People on here shouldn't be having a pop at those who say they cannot afford to attend the matches.

I'm not..... If somebody is on low income with a young family or have recently been made redundant etc etc, I understand perfectly. I'm having a pop at the hypocritical that can well afford a ST but claim that they cant', when in fact they are in denial cos they are just simply dropping off the BRFC bandwagon. Don't forget I lived through the 60's and 70's and have seen it all before. Odd thing is that as soon as Uncle Jack turned up all the bandwagon jumpers quickly became dyed in the wool, lifelong fans once again. <_<

another reason lower gates that never gets mentioned are kick off ftimes at night...take thursdays game,little uns have school and if it ends up 2-2 then we could get extra time and pens ..meaning on a school evening theres a poss that the game could finish 11pmish,for that reason i dont take my lad so thats another one off the gate.

WHY HAVE 8PM KICK OFFS?...WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GOOD OLD FASIONED 7.30 ..GAME OVER 9.10 KIDS IN BED EARLY ENOUGH FOR SCHOOL.

WHY 8PM???????????

The number of faraway Board members on this thread is reducing fast as we go in for self-abuse.

Just to cheer you up I am jetting in fom Bulgaria specially for the match(1400 hrs at MAN if you want to pick me up)And going back Sunday evening.I have a season Ticket which even if I miss afew matches is dirt-cheap.

The flight costs £196 return..about the same as when I came up for the Champions League matches in 95.

Don't thank me..cos I'm a fan and true fans make it. Everton fans would be out in force but we whinge about not being able to afford a ST even though on Standing Order its still a bargain.And then we complain about halfwits from Bumley.

As a comparison I have a ticket for Levski v Chelsea in the Champions League.It cost £11 which is the equivalent of £50 to £60 in local earning power......queues round the block.30,000 sold in a day. and its live on telly. We must be soft.

See you there...come on the drummers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.