BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree the prices are very reasonable it is pretty obvious that it will be no 'acid test' as it is only a one-off game. It's taken years for the supporters to slowly trickle away so having so many seeming to think they will suddenly rush back is suprising . There won't be 20,000 either I'd hazard. :( Hope I'm wrong though.

It's a Thursday night game early on in a cup competition which is being shown on TV. Besides...Rovers can't just turn it on and off like a tap. The reason it is being put at a cheap price is because it isn't going to sell that many tickets at all otherwise. Which is a shame as I'm looking forward to it more than any other game this season.

These cheap tickets did work for a time but the one-offs/cheap cup games stopped working a few seasons ago. To really see if cheap tickets worked it would involve Rovers offering it for at least a few months. Rome wasn't built in a day...and I'd be surprised if the Blackburn public were to be moved from their barstools in a night!

As for Rovers drastically dropping their prices for a long time...it ain't worth the risk on our own. Getting the best team on the pitch is the most important thing, not risking earning a hell of a lot less from ticket sales than they do already.

Can you imagine what the response would be if dropping the ticket prices didn't work after a while and they then had to shove them back up to previous levels? It'd be 1960 all over again!!!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

At least nobody could blame the board if they consistently lowered the prices. I think what most fans like myself can't understand is the fact that there is obviously a major dilemna concerning the attendances, yet the prices keep going up and up.

If the fans don't turn up at lower prices, then I say fair enough - leave it to the board. Let's not base this theory on the Salzburg game on Thursday though - Man City would have been an excellent chance to test the water, but maybe the Wigan game could represent an opportunity.

The problem with lowering ticket prices across the board is that if they are cheaper than the price per match of a season ticket then there's currently no incentive to buy a season ticket because there's no difficulty in getting match tickets. Rovers need their season ticket sales to give them at least one guaranteed source of revenue up front. They then know that whatever happens at least that is money and in most cases fans guaranteed. You can only really offer low price match tickets on anything other than an ad hoc basis if you have a waiting list for season tickets and a shortage of match day tickets and then you wouldn't need to anyway.

Since the 2001/2002 season around 100 000 less people have come to Ewood Park. Total attendence in 01/02 was 493 481 while last season it was 399 288, it will surely drop below that this season.

I've estimated that the total attendence this season will be 378 000.

(figures are PL home games only)

If the average price of a ticket in 01/02 was £20, then the average price of a ticket in 06/07 (in order to gain as much revenue as in 01/02) would have to be around £26 based on a total of 378 000.

If the trend over the last 5 years continues then our average attendence would look something like this in the coming years: (these are numbers based on little data material, not statistical valid, but still)

06/07 19 939

07/08 18 922

08/09 17 957

09/10 17 041

10/11 16 172

11/12 15 347

12/13 14 564

13/14 13 822

14/15 13 117

15/16 12 448

16/17 11 813

15 quid in - anywhere in Ewood.

If nothing else, we might find out how many non-season ticket holders give a stuff!!!!

See your point Tris but as FLB has posted its only one game on a Thursday night early in the competition. This is not going to kickstart the public into coming back straight away just by making it £15

Maybe later on in the competiton , however there is nothing that I have seen from the Rovers doing anything to try and entice the stayaways to come to this game. It needs advertising putting up in lights- explanation of what happens if we get through. In addition could they not bundle the ticket price into the next set of games - ie buy the Salzburg ticket and get the next 2 home European (we are guaranteed these aren't we if we get through) at the same price.

Apathy kicked in some time ago and the one game will not make a difference as some will have lost interest to a degree ie about the competition etc.

To me the club should be making a ding dong of the match and generating some serious advertising messages with the above.

If that doesn't start the ball rolling then I haven't a clue

See your point Tris but as FLB has posted its only one game on a Thursday night early in the competition. This is not going to kickstart the public into coming back straight away just by making it £15

Maybe later on in the competiton , however there is nothing that I have seen from the Rovers doing anything to try and entice the stayaways to come to this game. It needs advertising putting up in lights- explanation of what happens if we get through. In addition could they not bundle the ticket price into the next set of games - ie buy the Salzburg ticket and get the next 2 home European (we are guaranteed these aren't we if we get through) at the same price.

Apathy kicked in some time ago and the one game will not make a difference as some will have lost interest to a degree ie about the competition etc.

To me the club should be making a ding dong of the match and generating some serious advertising messages with the above.

If that doesn't start the ball rolling then I haven't a clue

I don't completely agree - except for the statement that apathy kicked in some time ago.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the Rovers surely knows the importance of this tie, without the need for "advertising in lights." If there are lapsed fans out there who haven't cottoned on via their mates, local press, local radio and national media, then those are folk who aren't ever going to come back inside Ewood Park.

It shouldn't be about Rovers enticing the stayaways to the game - as if the bargain tickets aren't enough. Whilst the Premier League has for many become stale, here is a chance to progress into a competition with a bit of excitement, an element of the unknown - a welcome break from the norm. That alone should get lazy arsed pub dwellers through the gate at least just this once.

Far from giving away tickets (by bundling with future games) the club should expect that generous pricing and the immense carrot of four more European fixtures will bring the stayaways out in force to support the team. It's the least the players and management deserve having got this far.

8 days ago West Ham were turning fans away in tears - it was a lockout for the visit of Palermo. I know we're never going to see that at Ewood (unless Celtic come back one day), but it would be nice if there's a decent crowd in for this really important game.

However, have to say Ramadan will have started so my chances of persuading pupils to go is minimal. Also there are school open evenings that evening - unable to be changed because of clashing with other schools. In fact you'll be able to spot me that night because I'll be the one looking like they should be in the posh seats whilst sitting in the family stand as I won't have time to get changed.

This will rumble on and on.

I posted a while back, stating that although the so called Rovers fans who don't attend Ewood on a regular basis will lead you to believe it's because of the pricing - for the majority it simply isn't. Yes, football is an expensive event to attend these days, but the people we are dealing with here would be unlikeley to attend Ewood on a regular basis unless you give them a free ticket, free taxi to and from the ground and complimentary food and drink at the ground, and even then you'd be lucky to get some of them to go more than once.

The fact is they sit in the pub (drinking beer and spending money) on a saturday afternoon bleating on about how they are a big rovers fan but just can't afford to go. Resolve the pricing issue and they'll simply come up with another reason not to go. Fact is, they just don't want to. This theory has been pretty much proved, the club offers certain games at £10 a ticket for example, and where are these people then - you guessed it, not at Ewood!

This post is not directed at those people who genuineley can't afford to go to watch rovers, so please don't take offence. It is directed at those whinging so called rovers fans who could afford to go to a handful of games but don't. If we really want a top six premiership club in Blackburn I think that it is about time the town showed it, by getting behind the club and attending matches.

Rant over, sorry.......

:ph34r:

Anyone with even a passing interest in the Rovers surely knows the importance of this tie, without the need for "advertising in lights." If there are lapsed fans out there who haven't cottoned on via their mates, local press, local radio and national media, then those are folk who aren't ever going to come back inside Ewood Park.

SPOT ON!

To see Rovers progress through to the group stage must be priority for all concerned with the club,great Kudos for a small town club like us....its about time we earned ourselves a pedigree in this competition instead of that dunces hat!

I cant wait personally. :rover:

Another few reasons which all add up (the cant be arsed reason's a big one)

Is the reduction in disposable income over the past few years. The rise in petrol prices, gas and electricity and the increase in interest rates have all meant that I have other priorities to spend my money on before I think about going to the Rovers.

Is my excuse and not because I just cant be bothered anymore :(

Yes but then you don't live in Blackburn so the cost of travel becomes a factor. I think the people we really have problems with are those who live a stone's throw from the ground and like the benefits in terms of employment and kudos that having a premiership team playing in Europe bring to the town but can't be bothered to come to ewood even on reduced price tickets

Well it's simple to me, we probably have a loyal hardcore fanbase of somewhere between 8k and 10k, who will be there whatever the weather, price, tv or anything, other people just simply aren't as interested and maybe can afford it, but just have better things to spend there money on. People need to remember we aren't a big club far from it.

Not a big club - now that's a whole different can of worms and we don't want to get involved in that one again. The plain fact is that Blackburn and those parts of the Ribble valley not infected by Burnleyitis should be able to provide bigger gates than Rovers currently get even in the current economic climate and with the current downward trend in a lot of clubs' gates.

Is the reduction in disposable income over the past few years. The rise in petrol prices, gas and electricity and the increase in interest rates have all meant that I have other priorities to spend my money on before I think about going to the Rovers.

Well said - for me and my brood - a match day experience can cost up to £100 (incl Petrol etc). Thats a fair chunk of my monthly disposable - and difficult to justify if I can get my fix free via Sky in the local pub.

When I first started going to Rovers it was about £1.50 for a junior to get in the BBE - and a whole family could attend for a tenner. Not certain how salaries have risen since the early eighties - but it seemed more in reach of the average man in the street back in those days.

I think it is different for different people - but cost is my main driving factor. Having said that - I will take advantage of the Adult Membership scheme that has just dropped through my door - good idea by JW

But it does cost £20 to join :D

Still - you do get a few freebies (wallchart etc) that I will be able to pass on to my youngest - plus discounts, ticket priority (may be useful for FA Cup Final :D ).

A good idea - for any that take this up - will attend at least two matches. May not seem many - but is a start.

I think that young people today in Britain have more disposable income than they've ever had. Yes, most of them have long term debts (esp students) but more and more young people are finding it harder to get on the property ladder, so they stay at home and have more cash at their disposable. Problem is there's so much more to spend it on these days that paying to watch football to some, doesn't compete.

I don't completely agree - except for the statement that apathy kicked in some time ago.

It shouldn't be about Rovers enticing the stayaways to the game - as if the bargain tickets aren't enough. Whilst the Premier League has for many become stale, here is a chance to progress into a competition with a bit of excitement, an element of the unknown - a welcome break from the norm. That alone should get lazy arsed pub dwellers through the gate at least just this once.

Far from giving away tickets (by bundling with future games) the club should expect that generous pricing and the immense carrot of four more European fixtures will bring the stayaways out in force to support the team. It's the least the players and management deserve having got this far.

8 days ago West Ham were turning fans away in tears - it was a lockout for the visit of Palermo. I know we're never going to see that at Ewood (unless Celtic come back one day), but it would be nice if there's a decent crowd in for this really important game.

But that's just it Tris- the interest has gone not just in the Rovers but football altogether. They just don't take any interest prior games anymore -just look at the results (if they catch them)

The game needs bells lights and jangly things putting on it and throwing at people to knock it back into their heads to try and get them back into the buzz with Rovers the being the cherry on top

Get them for one game and there is every possibility they will get the feeling back or a bit of it anyway - get the atmosphere going and nostalgia may kick in for some - it might just have an effect.

The club needs to get the so called stayaway fans out of their Slumber and try and re-alight the glow.

As yet I haven't seen anything warranting proactivity to gee up the fixture from the Rovers point of view through any media outlet or whatever.

For us that go/are going - yes it is a really important game but it needs that IMPORTANCE chucked down the throats of people who just take a passing look nowadays - Rovers need to try at least to get their interest

But that's just it Tris- the interest has gone not just in the Rovers but football altogether. They just don't take any interest prior games anymore -just look at the results (if they catch them)

The game needs bells lights and jangly things putting on it and throwing at people to knock it back into their heads to try and get them back into the buzz with Rovers the being the cherry on top

Get them for one game and there is every possibility they will get the feeling back or a bit of it anyway - get the atmosphere going and nostalgia may kick in for some - it might just have an effect.

The club needs to get the so called stayaway fans out of their Slumber and try and re-alight the glow.

As yet I haven't seen anything warranting proactivity to gee up the fixture from the Rovers point of view through any media outlet or whatever.

For us that go/are going - yes it is a really important game but it needs that IMPORTANCE chucked down the throats of people who just take a passing look nowadays - Rovers need to try at least to get their interest

That happend to me, didnt go much when we first got promoted, then last year I took my little bro to the wigan game and the city and I fealt the same way about rovers as I did when I was younger and got a season ticket this season. Also been to sheff and pompey, going as many away games as I can. I'll be renewing my season ticket aswell next year :tu:

I think that young people today in Britain have more disposable income than they've ever had.

Try telling that to my kids! One a student and one a recent graduate. I pay for their seson tickets so they can continue coming to Rovers but if I didn't they couldn't .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.