BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the young adult season tickets were introduced, the 17 year olds went on to full season tickets and most people could not afford that, so there are likely to be more 17-21 year olds than before.

Not necessarily. Previously more 17 year olds went into employment. Now at least 65-70% of kids are expected to stay in education till they are at least 18 and the student population has increased massively. When I went to Uni you got a grant-not a lot but you weren't expected to pay it back. Now students get landed with horrendous debts based on the false assumption that they will earn much more money than non-graduates. However, when 35% of the young adult population are aiming for degrees or other higher qualifications then it's harder to get that well-paid job, at least initially and when you do the government starts clawing your money back.

i believe we should have student tickets for match day sales

i think this would increase our attendence as i know a lot of friends that only go to a few games a year at £32, but if they could pay say £20 student ticket they would be able to get to more

Hannah made the point about City fans being moved from the cheaper areas to the DE on Sunday. I can't find the post right now.

A source I trust, not inside the club, has told me hundreds of Everton fans arrived with junior concession tickets for that game. Apparently the first few were refused entry but when the size of the problem became apparent the police and club decided the safer solution was to allow them entry.

I don't know if its true, and I've only heard it from one person, but this is not from someone who would make up such a remark

i believe we should have student tickets for match day sales

i think this would increase our attendence as i know a lot of friends that only go to a few games a year at £32, but if they could pay say £20 student ticket they would be able to get to more

Why students, why not young adult tickets just as season ticket wise?

Havent you scroungers got enough as it is, your entire European adventure this summer has been funded by people who work!

Hannah made the point about City fans being moved from the cheaper areas to the DE on Sunday. I can't find the post right now.

A source I trust, not inside the club, has told me hundreds of Everton fans arrived with junior concession tickets for that game. Apparently the first few were refused entry but when the size of the problem became apparent the police and club decided the safer solution was to allow them entry.

I don't know if its true, and I've only heard it from one person, but this is not from someone who would make up such a remark

In either case they should be told to cough up the extra dosh or go away. I can understand the police view on this - but looking at it this is actually fraud.

Havent you scroungers got enough as it is, your entire European adventure this summer has been funded by people who work!

Why not everyone?

Lets not bother charging anymore in fact, just give tickets away.

:tu::blink:

In either case they should be told to cough up the extra dosh or go away. I can understand the police view on this - but looking at it this is actually fraud.

and I wouldn't mind betting that they wouldn't get away with it at any other ground :angry:

Not necessarily. Previously more 17 year olds went into employment. Now at least 65-70% of kids are expected to stay in education till they are at least 18 and the student population has increased massively. When I went to Uni you got a grant-not a lot but you weren't expected to pay it back. Now students get landed with horrendous debts based on the false assumption that they will earn much more money than non-graduates. However, when 35% of the young adult population are aiming for degrees or other higher qualifications then it's harder to get that well-paid job, at least initially and when you do the government starts clawing your money back.

Yes, you're right, but I was particularly relating to the time over the last 15 years or so. I knew very keen fans who went till they were 16 and could no longer afford when they were 17 and were students.

and I wouldn't mind betting that they wouldn't get away with it at any other ground :angry:

Probably so very very true Roversmum and it also sets a precedent now - if it is true and word gets out who is to say what would happen with Liverpool/MU/Newcastle fans did the same and the majority turned up with concession tickets - What the hell would they do then??? :o

simply because students cannot work 40 hours a week :wstu:

and my european adventure was funded by my work and not my student loan :rolleyes:

however my motorbike and world cup ....

So thats the reason for no concessions on some grounds is it? Makes sense.

I think the young adult tickets should be an option for all games on a ticket by ticket basis for both home & away fans - however proof of I.D needs to be checked.

If they havent got I.D then they dont come in on a reduced price - simple!

And we moved to electronic tickets to reduce staffing levels at turnstiles.

Having to check on those who may or may not be 'young persons' would require additional staffing - it's preety easy to spot someone getting in on a pensioners or a kids ticket!

Lets see how many 'walk-ons' appear next Thursday with season ticket holders getting in free.....I bet the fair- weathers are moaning about that now in the pubs and clubs of Blackburn. :blink:

You just get the feeling Rovers are p1ssing against the wind constantly.

European football - the chance that every club strives for outside of the annual Champions League Foursome.

A healthy position from which to progress into the group stage. The match which dictates whether the immense effort of 38 tough league games last season was a waste of time or not.

15 quid in - anywhere in Ewood.

If nothing else, we might find out how many non-season ticket holders give a stuff!!!!

I don't care who comes out the winner in the cost vs quality vs marketing failure vs whatever else arguments...I just hope this prompts the public to hit the turnstiles. A true test to see how the more financially provident really feel about getting to the match.

If this turns out to be an overwhelming success how do you locals see it affecting future Cup matches, whether Euro or domestic? You think this is going to have any effect at all?

I don't care who comes out the winner in the cost vs quality vs marketing failure vs whatever else arguments...I just hope this prompts the public to hit the turnstiles. A true test to see how the more financially provident really feel about getting to the match.

If this turns out to be an overwhelming success how do you locals see it affecting future Cup matches, whether Euro or domestic? You think this is going to have any effect at all?

The difficulty with the domestic cups is the ticket prices having to be agreed with the away club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.