BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

***GAV`s £50 BET UPDATE*** thumbs-up.gif

Nearly there now....

A crowd of 20,243 saw Rovers clinch a European spot with a glorious victory over the Champions Chelsea. here`s how it affects Gav`s £50 wager:-

Rovers tinykit.gif average home league gate now stands at 20,753 after 18 homes (down 30)

Wigan`s average home league gate finished on 20,610 after 19 homes

(Rovers are an average of 143 ahead)

Rovers tinykit.gif total home league attendances stand at 373,557

Wigan`s total home league attendances finished up at 391,587

A final home league attendance above 18,030 will officially see Gav win his £50 bet with the unbeliever. cool.gif

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were getting bigger crowds when we went down,I am totally at a loss to explain what is happening. sad.gif

404214[/snapback]

Spoke to some of the backsliders in the pub afterwards. They said that with the game on Sky TV and the match being cat A (or A+?) there was no decision to be made. Cheering Rovers into Europe and watching the Prem Champions took a back seat to watching TV and swilling ale. Logic states that they have a point but imo they simply HAVE NO SOUL! mad.gif

What is apparent is that they were not repentant and imo will never return to the fold. Fcluk them but it's a shame really for their (and our) kids when BRFC are once again a bit-part lower league team and they only have historical memories to live on and MU to support.

My mate did make the point that with the likes of ROF, Mullards, Pickerings , Netlon etc etc etc nosediving over the years the town is now just just depressed and impoverished and full of people to match.

Spoke to some of the backsliders in the pub afterwards.  They said that with the game on Sky TV and the match being cat A (or A+?) there was no decision to be made.  Cheering Rovers into Europe and watching the Prem Champions took a back seat to watching TV and swilling ale.  Logic states that they have a point but imo they simply HAVE NO SOUL! mad.gif

What is apparent is that they were not repentant and imo will never return to the fold.  Fcluk them but it's a shame really for their (and our) kids when BRFC are once again a bit-part lower league team and they only have historical memories to live on and MU to support.

My mate did make the point that with the likes of ROF, Mullards, Pickerings , Netlon etc etc etc nosediving over the years the town is now just just depressed and impoverished and full of people to match.

404380[/snapback]

Nothing could dull my delight at last night's result though leaving the ground I felt a sense of anger towards all the stayaways. I agree 100% with thenodrog's post.

The so called supporters who plead poverty and spend the night boozing are, for me, beyond the pale. I'd take any odds those same people are to be found boozing another 3-4 nights a week as well. Those fans are missing out, they won't experience the joy and for me they are of no consequence. Stuuf 'em - or stronger if you wish. I look forward to the day we reach a final and none of them can get in.

We have a great club at every level, the team has achieved all that was asked of them , the manager is working small miracles etc. etc. Anyone who won't give up a few beers to support the team isn't worth discussion. Pathetic attitude.

Yeah sod em.

I'm past caring if and when the stayaways come back, in fact I'd feel resentment towards them if they did now.

I work with a bloke who reckons he's been a staunch fan for 50 years but this is the worst football he's ever seen so he's stopped going.

How I'm going to enjoy spending the fiver I won off him in a bet as to where we'd finish.

Fcluk them but it's a shame really for their (and our) kids when BRFC are once again a bit-part lower league team and they only have historical memories to live on and MU to support.

404380[/snapback]

The above really is the sad matter of fact for me......you could hit these stayaway 'fans' over the head with a blue 'n' white mallet and they still would not realise how lucky,how privileged we are in Blackburn to have a small town club,which is fantastically run on all fronts,competing and beating the likes of Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

We punch well above our weight and every moment should be savoured like its the last.

Just like to make the point, and no apologies for repeating elsewhere, that we renewed STs in April to show our SUPPORT and appreciation for what the club is doing. I want to encourage the club's efforts. The discount, which I reckon is worth at best 5%, is nice but was not the reason for renewing in April.

I want Rovers to know we will be there, again, next season.

Nothing could dull my delight at last night's result though leaving the ground I felt a sense of anger towards all the stayaways. I agree 100% with thenodrog's post.

The so called supporters who plead poverty and spend the night boozing are, for me, beyond the pale. I'd take any odds those same people are to be found boozing another 3-4 nights a week as well. Those fans are missing out, they won't experience the joy and for me they are of no consequence. Stuuf 'em - or stronger if you wish. I look forward to the day we reach a final and none of them can get in.

We have a great club at every level, the team has achieved all that was asked of them , the manager is working small miracles etc. etc. Anyone who won't give up a few beers to support the team isn't worth discussion. Pathetic attitude.

404404[/snapback]

Well said Paul - last night I said (about the stayaways) we may need you but we don't want you. They can rot as far as I'm concerned. tinykit.gif

We punch well above our weight

404409[/snapback]

Sorry SG194 but I hate it when people say this -my question is WHY?

We deserve without question to be where we are - as does any team thumbs-up.gif

Just because we are 'little old' Blackburn doesn't mean to say we are - we have been here before more than alot of teams can say so we certainly have the credentials if not the prestige.

Its not quite as simple as that. We get our optimum crowds (forgetting size of opposition and away support etc) when we have

a.) cat b prices

b.) saturday game

c.) not on tv (by definition 3pm kick off)

Chels just arent a big enough club for Rovers to go against all 3 of the above.

a.) Cat A+

b.) Midweek

c.) On tv

Thats the big and the small of it im afraid! Besides everyone is saving for city! rover.gif

I think when one of the pub "fans" starts going on about the team, you should just tell them they're not true fans and have no right to any opinion.

Or walk away and don't listen.

I took 2 days off work to go to the game and the POTY dinner. I drove home after the dinner and am going to work tomorrow. Does that make me a better fan than those wasters in the pub? YOU BET IT DOES.

And I don't think ANY of them should get tickets for Europe- especially not for the away games. Or- they CAN have a ticket, but pnly if they buy a season ticket first.*

* obviously exceptions will be made for those who live abroad!!!!

Edited by Jan

Craig Bellamy

Sergio Peter -Young player of the year

Tugay, Reid and Bellamy shared the "man of the match" players of the year - they each won MOTM 3 times

reid won Goal of the season.

Lucas Neill won the award voted for by the Rovers World staff- for away performances I think

Brad Friedel won a special award for being a general good guy.

Think that was it

Fair point Paul, but I remember you saying before that you came very close to not renewing your season tickets.

Presumably you would have been angry with yourself if you had indeed stopped going...  smile.gif

404673[/snapback]

That is true but the reasoning was entirely different. After two seasons of very poor football, Souness's lack of ambition, lack of effort by many players etc. I did not want to renew. I was sick of football and even sick of watching the Rovers. Despite that we went back. For several years now the only joy I find in football is at Ewood Park, when I began to feel the disease had taken root in our club I simply did not want to go......but something always pulls you back. I remain tired of modern football run by incompetent fools, over-exposed in gutter media outlets and polluted by money, if I stopped believing in Rovers that would be it. Towards the end of the Souness reign I very nearly stopped because I was close to losing that belief.

I happily except many cannot attend Ewood for a variety of reasons. I don't think live TV and a night in the boozer is a valid reason, assumming one lives in the local area.

Craig Bellamy

Sergio Peter -Young player of the year

Tugay, Reid and Bellamy shared the "man of the match" players of the year - they each won MOTM 3 times

reid won Goal of the season.

Lucas Neill won the award voted for by the Rovers World staff- for away performances I think

Brad Friedel won a special award for being a general good guy.

Think that was it

404701[/snapback]

rover.gif what did nelsen win???????????????????????????????? tinykit.gif

I couldn`t go on Tuesday. Prior engagement sad.gif . Managed to catch the 2nd half in a pub. smile.gif

Cannot go on Sunday either. Working. sad.gif

Does this make me a bad fan? huh.gif

404404[/snapback]

FFS where were the missing 13,000 when we in the old third division.?????

Don't you feel smug when you can say you were in the crowd(?) for Port Vale and Wrexham at home in the 70s...with Dad and wife....and can appreciate just what we have achieved.

But I want band-wagonners to join us - 8000 more please- to feel the sheer pleasure of Tuesday night. PRICELESS.

I couldn`t go on Tuesday. Prior engagement  sad.gif . Managed to catch the 2nd half in a pub. smile.gif

Cannot go on Sunday either. Working.  sad.gif

Does this make me a bad fan? huh.gif

404795[/snapback]

Only if you don't have a season ticket!!!

wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.