BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sheer stupidity of some folk amazes me,just been around a few football message boards and many are slating Boro for only having 24,000 at last nights televised game!!!! blink.gif

2-0 down from the first leg,televised...how would we have faired?unsure.gif

397189[/snapback]

I thought nearly 25,000 was a blooming good attendance for a live TV game, and by all accounts those who attended created a riproaring atmosphere.

IMO Boro chief executive Keith Lamb did neither himself nor his club any favours at all by coming on the radio the following day whinging about the attendance. One elderly chap phoned in afterwards and pointed out not unkindly that that match was Boro's 21st Cup tie of the seasn thus far with more to come!. ohmy.gif

Like us next season if we have to take the Champions League qualifying/UEFA/Intertoto route? huh.gif

I hear today that Chelski are paying for their fans to go to Ewood as the game be just be the match they win the league.

if it is the case then expect 6000 cockney russians entering the real theatre of dreams giving us yet another 26k plus home crowd.

last 3 home games may just be

lfc = 28000

cfc = 27000

mcfc = 29000 PLUS

I hear today that Chelski are paying for their fans to go to Ewood as the game be just be the match they win the league.

398135[/snapback]

haha if chelsea sell out my brother will be gutted

***GAV`s £50 BET*** (A more optimistic view on it)

...So far this season, Rovers tinykit.gif & Wigan have both played the following clubs at home, here`s how the gates compared :-

v Fulham = wigan had 313 more

v Spuds = wigan had 236 more

v Toon = wigan had 1649 more

v Baggies = Rovers had 3300 more

v BIG club = wigan had 328 more

v Charlton = Rovers had 617 more

v Toffies = Rovers had 333 more

v Hammers = Rovers had 1634 more

v Notlob = Wigan had 2373 more

v Buccaneers = Rovers had 1910 more

v Sunderlose = Rovers had 997 more

v Arsenholes = wigan had 2500 more

v Boro = Rovers had 2040 more

& verses each other = wigan had 229 more

(funnily enough, if you compare it on a 'game for game' basis, Rovers tinykit.gif come out on top with 3203 more) thumbs-up.gif

The outstanding teams for both yet to play are:-

Liverpoo

Chelski

Man Citeh

Villa

Pompey

MY GOD!! I THINK GAV MIGHT WIN HIS BET!!! blink.gif

Think I'd rather have 20000 loyal local fans than 76000 with a high proportion of glory hunters from Essex

398136[/snapback]

I dont think the board will share your view UB.......In fact I'm 100% certain they won't! rover.gif

Just imagine if we had that lot of plastics........

Shearer wouldn't have left, neither would Duff and Dunne.

Hughes would never ever be poached away by another club.

and...............

.......... Bellamy would be on the bench most weeks! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Edited by thenodrog

and...............

.......... Bellamy would be on the bench most weeks! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

398269[/snapback]

with park ji replacing him! laugh.gif

ewood would have all the corners filled in and the riverside redeveloped, with the once promised hotel/ apartments (like chelsea) memorising the tv audience! cool.gif

thats cheating

it probably attracts more fans, more so in wigan

398295[/snapback]

rovers should look into it!

perhaps give a stash away with season tickets.

was wondering how reidy managed his wonder strike, maybe he had a p*ss next to gav ? laugh.gif

Compare the wages stated below to that of your 'average' working man on the street and you wonder why some folk are p1ssed off and turning their back on football...... ohmy.gif

Welcome to the world of the rich and INfamous

398362[/snapback]

this is the original article in the Independent with a bit more info http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/ne...ticle357006.ece

I really, really didn't expect this... after saying the bet is gone, I have to retract. The attendance against Liverpool was a whopping 29,142. The only question now is if the (seemingly) lost Champions League cause will affect the attendance for the rest of the home games.

Well done to everyone that attended, that is some gate considering what we have been averaging. One dissapointment is that those who did turn up saw a boring affair that will probably not turn their few games a season visits into any more. Considering L'pool are European Champions they know how to bore fans.

For the first time all season, Rovers are in front!

Quite a bit depends on Rovers not blowing it on their visits to Brum and Charlton but surely the attractions of Chelski Champions and Citeh will bring 25,000+ gates to both games?

***GAV`S £50 BET UPDATE***

A whopping crowd of 29142 has finally seen Rovers overtake Wigan in the average attendances. Here`s how it looks:-

Rovers tinykit.gif average home league attendance is now 20783 (up 522)

Wigan`s average home league attendance is 20772

(Rovers are an average of 11 in front)

Rovers tinykit.gif total home league attendances stand at 353314

Wigan`s total home league attendances stand at 353131

(Rovers are 183 in front)

Both clubs have just 2 home games left:-

Rovers tinykit.gif ...Chelsea & Man City

Wigan...Villa & Portsmouth

....It might come down to who has the biggest away followings on the day, but at least it`s looking good for Gav`s £50 bet!! thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.