BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Robbie Savage

Tris

As anyone wearing the halves, he'll always have my support when he's on the pitch. Only Keith Gillespie has ever tested that norm to the limit, with his unique blind-rabbit-in-headlight performances which helped take us down from the Premiership whilst Jack Walker cried real tears.

Off the pitch, in my opinion, Robbie Savage is a complete disaster - an absolute pr!ck. He is the perfect illustration of why the casual fan or the occasional observer falls out with football.

Tonight, every bloody hour on a loop, he appears on Sky Sports News, in an interview filmed on a golf course. Wearing a branded cap which he ensures gets every possible angle full on to the camera. If they (Ping) don't sponsor him already, there'll be a letter to 'em in the morning from Savage's agent.

Savage says absolutely nothing to SSN that he hasn't said before. John Toshak hasn't called him, he doesn't think he'll play again for Wales under this regime, he's spoken to FAWales officials trying to make some headway.

Since his stroppy self-imposed international "retirement" Savage has come out with this crap at least 3 times - so it's 3-nil to Toshak who (to my knowledge) has refrained from commenting in public on Savage's position with Wales.

Back to Sky Sports News tonight. As masses of people watch for last minute transfer news, Savage is sharing the looped reports with updates on US Open Tennis, and an interview with Michael Vaughan, who speaks about doing his "talking on the pitch"

If we're honest, since he arrived 8 months ago, Savage has done absolutely bugger all on the pitch for Rovers. Except confirm to football fans everywhere else that he is the total tosser we all thought he was until Hughes signed him.

By his ridiculous TV appearances (be it on the home decorating channel or SSN), and by his well below-par appearances in our club's shirt - with the associated bookings - he is rapidly becoming an expensive millstone around Hughes' neck - he was supposed to be the opposite.

For me, Savage needs to forget the TV cameras. He needs to forget his former high profile status. Forget Wales, forget John Toshak, forget everything except doing what Hughes invested so much trust in him to do. Otherwise he's gonna take Hughes down with him onto the scrapheap.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well actually, there is a big match at the weekend you seem to have forgotten about. And for the Welsh, the Robbie Savage situation is quite big that their manager decides not to pick one of their best players despite it being best for the country.

Also, had it not crossed your mind that sky approached Robbie first, asking for an interview?

Savage has been our best midfield player this season imo and was one of the few players to emerge from Villa last week with some credit.

As for his SSN interview, I'm sure it's not Savage's fault that it's getting repeated every hour, just as I'm sure it wasn't Savage who asked for the interview in the first place. As Greggyk points out, there's a big game involving Wales this weekend so I guess it's news.

1) Can't see any problem whatsoever with the interview. He will presumably have been aopproached by Sky not the other way round. We're not playing until a week on Saturday, so how's that going to affect his performance on the pitch? If he's wearing an advertising logo, again, so what?

2) Generally he hasn't been anywhere near peak fitness during his time at Ewood.

3) He played particularly well against Fulham and Spurs so don't see how he can be criticised for his performances this season.

Savage has been our best midfield player this season imo and was one of the few players to emerge from Villa last week with some credit. 

As for his SSN interview, I'm sure it's not Savage's fault that it's getting repeated every hour, just as I'm sure it wasn't Savage who asked for the interview in the first place.  As Greggyk points out, there's a big game involving Wales this weekend so I guess it's news.

343913[/snapback]

Personally I'd place Tugay and Pedersen above Savage actually, and maybe Reid - not just because they have all performed well on the pitch, but because they are able do so without adding to our ridiculous card count every time they leave the dressing room.

As for the International game which is coming up ... well, let's see, what's best for SS News, what's best for Wales, and what's best for Savage?

Savage is smiling tonight with his Sky cheque no doubt - because there was nothing from the Wales management or players, or any other ex-players.

Just a cringeworthy PING golf publicity stunt from someone who obviously will be absolutely delighted if his "beloved" Wales fail in his absence - he'll no doubt bag another dodgy interview.

Which is - at the very least - a disgraceful way to treat people he claims he wants as Wales teammates. Rich footballers can turn down TV interviews you know - or are you still struggling to understand the obvious?

I may be being naive, but you don't get paid for the snippets that appear on SkySports News do you? huh.gif

The likely scenario is that Sky tracked him down and he happened to be playing golf. As such he would be likely to be wearing branded golf gear. If it wasn't Ping it could just as easily be Nike, Taylormade, Mizuno etc etc..........

1) Can't see any problem whatsoever with the interview. He will presumably have been aopproached by Sky not the other way round. We're not playing until a week on Saturday, so how's that going to affect his performance on the pitch? If he's wearing an advertising logo, again, so what?

2) Generally he hasn't been anywhere near peak fitness during his time at Ewood.

3) He played particularly well against Fulham and Spurs so don't see how he can be criticised for his performances this season.

343915[/snapback]

1) My main point being, he needs to stop doing sh it interviews. We're in a really bad publicity phase at the moment - I'm sure you've noticed - the last thing we need is public enemy no.2 (after Todd) turning up spouting absolute rubbish on the SSN loop.

2) Neither has Amoruso - but look at the stats of their relative careers at Ewood and you'll struggle to split them. Savage has been here for long enough now to have made a decent impression.

3) No-one can be judged on this season - yet - although I notice that you have joined the hordes who are laying into Kuqi and Emerton and Neill and have also slammed Dickov, who was as unlucky to receive a red card as Savage has been to avoid one.

Most of our players only create bad publicity when they're on the pitch, my point is that Savage is trying to maintain his previous high media profile when he shouldn't be.

I may be being naive, but you don't get paid for the snippets that appear on SkySports News do you?  huh.gif

The likely scenario is that Sky tracked him down and he happened to be playing golf. As such he would be likely to be wearing branded golf gear. If it wasn't Ping it could just as easily be Nike, Taylormade, Mizuno etc etc..........

343918[/snapback]

I may be having a quiet night, but Gavin McCann of Everton hosted a charity golf day today to raise money for the special needs set up which is helping his daughter. David Moyes took several hours out of deadline day to be involved.

That story dropped off the SSN loop when the Savage whinge came on (and stayed on).

As you correctly say - it's not up to Savage what SSN choose to put out. But it was no way a snippet - it was a full on whining interview.

I want Savage to suceed at Rovers - every fan does given the investment in him. But I don't want to see him on TV every week making a cock of himself and making a cock of everyone who pays his wages.

I think the only person making a cock of themselves at the moment is you Tris. biggrin.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree on the performances of our midfield players this season. Imo the players you mentioned have had one, or maybe two, good games so far whereas Savage has been consistently good.

And yes, Savage could have turned down the interview but I suppose he wanted to make sure that people knew he was available for selection. It was then up to Sky to decide whether they showed it or not.

In the grand scheme of things it seems to be a fairly trivial matter that you've chosen to get so worked up about.

Still, makes a change from arguing with Theno I suppose. smile.gif

I think the only person making a cock of themselves at the moment is you Tris.  biggrin.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree on the performances of our midfield players this season.  Imo the players you mentioned have had one, or maybe two, good games so far whereas Savage has been consistently good.

And yes, Savage could have turned down the interview but I suppose he wanted to make sure that people knew he was available for selection.  It was then up to Sky to decide whether they showed it or not.

In the grand scheme of things it seems to be a fairly trivial matter that you've chosen to get so worked up about. 

Still, makes a change from arguing with Theno I suppose.  smile.gif

343927[/snapback]

Oh dear.

A 3 month break from posting because I've had to concentrate elsewhere ... and within 3 hours Rottyvieler Scotty has gone straight for the jugular. You really need to find a new hobby ...

As for his SSN interview, I'm sure it's not Savage's fault that it's getting repeated every hour, just as I'm sure it wasn't Savage who asked for the interview in the first place.  As Greggyk points out, there's a big game involving Wales this weekend so I guess it's news.

343913[/snapback]

i think he did well the game vs Villa, thge others I am unsure!! id expect more from him, but lets give some time, Im sure he'll do well over the season ( as opposed to emerton who really doesnt not give a f***)

i think he did well the game vs Villa, thge others I am unsure!! id expect more from him, but lets give some time, Im sure he'll do well over the season ( as opposed to emerton who really doesnt not give a f***)

343944[/snapback]

actually not sure if was the villa or the tottenham game??? but 1 this season he did very well, i think Villa!!

Oh dear.

A 3 month break from posting because I've had to concentrate elsewhere ... and within 3 hours Rottyvieler Scotty has gone straight for the jugular.  You really need to find a new hobby ...

343933[/snapback]

I think if you look back you'll see that you were the one who "went for the jugular" with your first in-your-face reply. I quote "or are you still struggling to understand the obvious?"

Maybe you need a few more months off. biggrin.gif

Before Sav joined us I used to say. You hate playing against him but you would love him to be on your team.

Well I was wrong, I would rather have - Tuggs,Flitty,Thommo,Reid,Bentley ahead of Savage now a days.

Also, I couldnt care what he gets up to in his own time or who cares to sponsor him.

Before Sav joined us I used to say.  You hate playing against him but you would love him to be on your team.

Well I was wrong, I would rather have - Tuggs,Flitty,Thommo,Reid,Bentley ahead of Savage now a days.

Also, I couldnt care what he gets up to in his own time or who cares to sponsor him.

343969[/snapback]

Absolute joke! Savage might not make the headlines with goals like Tugay & Thompson (& MGP) but the drive he adds to the midfield is invaluable. If you are serious that you'd rather have Flitcroft in ahead of him you need a reality check! I'm sure the opposition would rather face an ageing Flitcroft who brings nothing to the side than Savage. His none stop harrying forces mistakes and never allows the opposition to settle. I've said previously but I think Savage has had his best games for us at home this season.

Absolute joke! Savage might not make the headlines with goals like Tugay & Thompson (& MGP) but the drive he adds to the midfield is invaluable. If you are serious that you'd rather have Flitcroft in ahead of him you need a reality check! I'm sure the opposition would rather face an ageing Flitcroft who brings nothing to the side than Savage. His none stop harrying forces mistakes and never allows the opposition to settle. I've said previously but I think Savage has had his best games for us at home this season.

343979[/snapback]

totally agree with you their mate

What you're all failing to appreciate is that Tris is having a go because the guy wasn't signed by his beloved. He knows now he'd get short shrift if he started weeping over that (AGAIN) so now he's started something else.

Expect glowing tributes to Michael Owen and how sensible he was to join up with such a marvellous manager any minute now.............

What you're all failing to appreciate is that Tris is having a go because the guy wasn't signed by his beloved.  He knows now he'd get short shrift if he started weeping over that (AGAIN) so now he's started something else.

Expect glowing tributes to Michael Owen and how sensible he was to join up with such a marvellous manager any minute now.............

343986[/snapback]

Unlike you Janice, I'm quite happy to support anything or anyone who is representing my football club - as I made quite clear in the first paragraph of the post.

Unlike you, I didn't refuse to support Rovers whilst they employed someone I don't like.

Unlike you, I don't join in with the chavs when they sing about wanting Souness to be dead.

And unlike you, I only support one club, so get back to your beloved Celtic and stay there you daft old bat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.