BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England International Games

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our chance in Japan but blew it. One up v ten man Brazil, those sort of circumstances dont present themselves too often but Sven and his team didn`t have the ability/nous to realise it. England winning the World Cup? Don`t make me laugh!

And I know it was one all when he got sent off but you get the point.

352304[/snapback]

It was 2-1 to Brazil when Ronaldinho was sent off, he scored the astonishing winner that most people thought was a fluke before being red carded.

I'll place a 10 pound bet with anyone who wants to take it that England make the final 4 in the world cup.

352321[/snapback]

With the Swede in charge? No way. If he's still in charge you are on Eddie, I'll have some of that. Would you like my mailing address now?

With the Swede in charge?  No way.  If he's still in charge you are on Eddie, I'll have some of that.  Would you like my mailing address now?

352353[/snapback]

Alright. For me it is only if Sven is still in charge.

I didn't get see ENgland's game but I'm sure you weren't as bad as Portugal yesterday.

We needed a draw to qualify and we won 2-1 against Liechtenstein.

God, we played bad. Missed a penalty, offered goals, missed a lot of chances. Portugal was terrible, almost all players were.

Do you think we want Scolari out? NO WAY!

We are qualified and that is what matters.

We'll see in the WC.

It depends a lot on the form of the players after a long season...

Glad for Angola. They have qualified for the WC for the first time.

Edited by Oklahoma

Honest answer.  Good job I was paying attention.  I was wondering why Sunday and Thursday.  Just don't let it happen again biggrin.gif

352357[/snapback]

How very strange - I didn't get the dates wrong. The match is in the Calendar as October 12th - which is where the front page gets it's information from. sad.gif

Glenn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Eriksson is going to turn England into a world super power for the World Cup. Apparently some bookies have England down as third favourites to win the WC. They must be made. laugh.gif

352521[/snapback]

Bookies have to shorten the odds for England due to the huge number who will bet on them, just because it is England. Because if they priced them up at the correct price - 12s or 14s something like that - and if, on the offchance England won, they'd lose a hell of a lot of money!

• 4 weeks later...

With Gerrard playing on the right for Liverpool I can see a perfect solution to our midfield problem (should Sven by prepared to drop Beckham, that is...);

Gerrard Parker Lampard J. Cole

Few midfields in the world can compete with that, I'd put Parker on a par with Makélélé when it comes to playing that holding midfield role...he just oozes class, both with positioning and use of the ball. King is a decent sub, but he's England's version of Mokoena...will put a few good challenges in but ultimately has nowhere near enough skill to warrant a starting place in a midfield four.

I know people will say "Sven will never drop Beckham" blah blah blah...but really, when has he ever had a realistic opponent? Wright-Phillips is nowhere near his level yet (and not good enough for Chelsesa if you ask me)...only a converted Steven Gerrard would be approaching his class, and putting him ahead of Becks could provide the solution to getting both Lampard and Gerrard into a midfield four.

With Gerrard playing on the right for Liverpool I can see a perfect solution to our midfield problem (should Sven by prepared to drop Beckham, that is...);

Gerrard Parker Lampard J. Cole

Few midfields in the world can compete with that, I'd put Parker on a par with Makélélé when it comes to playing that holding midfield role...he just oozes class, both with positioning and use of the ball.  King is a decent sub, but he's England's version of Mokoena...will put a few good challenges in but ultimately has nowhere near enough skill to warrant a starting place in a midfield four.

I know people will say "Sven will never drop Beckham" blah blah blah...but really, when has he ever had a realistic opponent?  Wright-Phillips is nowhere near his level yet (and not good enough for Chelsesa if you ask me)...only a converted Steven Gerrard would be approaching his class, and putting him ahead of Becks could provide the solution to getting both Lampard and Gerrard into a midfield four.

358478[/snapback]

I completely agree with that, Parker is certianly a better option than King, although SWp is better in my opinion than you suggest. However Sven has shown that he will not drop Beckham, he just refuses to do it.

If Gerrard is dropped in favour of Beckham it will be a sad day for English football, but I can see it happening.

The England squad has been announced and parker is still not included. I find this suprising as I rate him as a superior player to King, Jenas and Carrick. Apart from that the rest of the squad was pretty predictable.

Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City), Neville (Everton), Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Konchesky (West Ham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), King (Tottenham), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Smith (Man Utd), Carrick (Tottenham), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham), Crouch (Liverpool)

Parker superior to Carrick? As a deep-lying playmaker, I'd go for the Spurs man.

Gerrard on the right instead of Beckham. Purlease Sven!

358967[/snapback]

He can pass the ball better from deep but Parker is far superior at breaking up play and can still distribute very well. With the attacking talent of Lampard, Gerrard and Cole I would say it is more necessary to have someone to get the tackles in. At any rate either of them is a better option than King.

The Gerrard-Beckham comparison seems an easy choice for me. Gerrard can dribble, shoot, head, tackle, drive forward and get into the box much more well than Beckham. I would also say Gerrard is a superior leader and commands more respect which ridicules the concept of Beckham being left in as he is 'captain'. It can only be a matter of time until Gerrard gets the captaincy, why not just bite the bullet now?

Indeed the only advantage in having the tattooed one in the side is for dead balls and crossing- and the diminutive stature of our forwards somewhat negates these benefits. Nonetheless I fully expect Sven to pick him dry.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.