BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Taylor

They came from the best academy of all : the back alleys of the towns and cities of Lancashire before motor cars forced kids off the streets.

Sad fact is footballers have to be "coached" these days. The likes of those four never needed coaching because they had all the skills by the time they signed for Rovers as schoolboys.

Not many "street" footballers around in recent years: Rooney is a throwback to 40 years ago and Gascoigne another.

Maybe that goes to prove that you can't take players at 8, 9 and 10 years old and develop them into footballers. Maybe just maybe, they have to have the talent in the first place. That might not show until they are a lot older.

So do we really need academies where the whole idea is to nurture and educate players from the age of 8 or 9.

Just stimulating the debate a bit. :)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh thats very professional, well done!

Edit: Thought i was on BRFCS not Rivals!!

You can always post on Rivals, whatever that is, if you wish. The point, RTM, is that by blathering on about youngsters you have never seen play and complaining when others have a dig at your view, is that you do yourself no favours.

I can assure you the abuse on here can get far, far worse, you ain't seen nothing yet! Nothing you've reported comes close to abuse.............now where's thenodrog ;)

Maybe that goes to prove that you can't take players at 8, 9 and 10 years old and develop them into footballers. Maybe just maybe, they have to have the talent in the first place. That might not show until they are a lot older.

So do we really need academies where the whole idea is to nurture and educate players from the age of 8 or 9.

Just stimulating the debate a bit. :)

Agree talent they must have Den much the same as anything or to put it another way 'natural flair' - however out on the street what they get is freedom to develop and express themselves out on the street - learning the game comes as you grow older.

This is part of the reason I am against academies - it becomes too structural for my liking - guidance is required rather than all out tutorial.

Anyway, not about Taylor but Tony Kane. Our FD here at work is a big Stockport County Fan and said he had an excellent game for them on Saturday and has not seen anybody that good at RB at that level and is the best he has seen for them.

Now itn might only be his first game and at a lower level but looks like it could be encouraging.

Agree talent they must have Den much the same as anything or to put it another way 'natural flair' - however out on the street what they get is freedom to develop and express themselves out on the street - learning the game comes as you grow older.

I don't think they ever followed the idea through, but at the back of the academy (well training ground now) there is an area which has little brick walls built up. The idea of it all was exactly what has been said - for kids just to run round and play in a 'street-like' environment.

I don't think they ever followed the idea through, but at the back of the academy (well training ground now) there is an area which has little brick walls built up. The idea of it all was exactly what has been said - for kids just to run round and play in a 'street-like' environment.

Cool - game of 'Wall'ie anybody' :tu:

Do they play Futsal at the Academy. I am by no means an expert, but it is said that it helps the Brazilians dvelop their flair and control of the ball. Just an idea.

Mind you since Italy are world champions, I guess we should start coach our players in diving, offering bribes and geneal gamesmanship.

Oh here we are, back to the, when did you last see bla play... God how boring and predictable you are!!

Sitting at home in London tonight behind my keyboard, and watching Stoke v Coventry on the TV from a very foggy Britannia Stadium, I can quite clearly see that Matt Derbyshire and Joe Garner should start against Man Utd on Saturday.

I mean they've both bagged a hattrick against Tranmere Reserves, if we don't try them now when will we ever?

In fact tonights entire team should play. Clean sheet, 7 goals in favour. There's a lad called Matteo who played 90 mins, get him in the side Hughes!! It's scandalous that our management team ignore the reserves.

Sitting at home in London tonight behind my keyboard, and watching Stoke v Coventry on the TV from a very foggy Britannia Stadium, I can quite clearly see that Matt Derbyshire and Joe Garner should start against Man Utd on Saturday.

I mean they've both bagged a hattrick against Tranmere Reserves, if we don't try them now when will we ever?

In fact tonights entire team should play. Clean sheet, 7 goals in favour. There's a lad called Matteo who played 90 mins, get him in the side Hughes!! It's scandalous that our management team ignore the reserves.

:lol:

Never heard of 'em. At what age was he? 14? It's like saying Rovers bought a player of Langho Juniors or Ozzy St Mary's.

I take it you've never actually seen Taylor play then? Which doesn't help your arguement does it. The fact that you've never seen him play and Hughes etc see him on a day to day basis clearly doesn't place you in a better position to make a judgement.

Or maybe it does, maybe I'm losing the plot. :blink:

No don't give up just yet Bob you are well ahead on points; you just need to find that one good clean knockout punch. Go for it!

No don't give up just yet Bob you are well ahead on points; you just need to find that one good clean knockout punch. Go for it!

Duff began playing for Rovers 'A' Team as it was known back then in the Autumn of 1995. Which would have made sense as he'd have just left school and was 16. This differs somewhat to Wikip... sorry, Rover The Moons chain of events and proves that not everything you read on the internet is the truth.

Rover The Moon talks a lot of sense.

As for Derbyshire and Garner I'd like to back Tris' point up and suggest that they should be in the first XI NOW. Please note that if they ever do make it and become regular first team players I was the one saying that they should have been playing a lot sooner, that I know more than the manager and that basically the whole idea was mine (and not Tris').

Edited by bob fleming

Hold on, Bob, stop taking the credit.

Ive been watching these lads for some time and have been singing their praise for ages, after WATCHING them in the reserves.

If Andy had played last night we could have gone into double figures.

Recall him now Hughey,

Serious mode.

All 3 Derbyshire, Garner and Taylor at present are to lightweight for the rigours of premiership football, they need to build up their body strength and stamina.Thats one of the reasons that Hughes farms them out to lower league clubs, to get them used to competative games where body contact is a bit more than shirt pulling.

Oooooohhhh!! Listen to him! All laar de daarrr and high and mighty. Just because you've seen the reserves. Well I haven't seen the reserves play for years and years now but I have followed them closely on BRFCS.co.biz.com.uk. If that excludes me from having an opinion then I'm going to report you to the in-transit moderator.

Are you actually daring to suggest that my reading a few snippets of match reports on the internet and in the local paper means that I can't form an illconceived opinion?

You put your point(s) quite eloquently and put forward a decent argument but how many players let go by the academies actually go on and prove that decision ultimately wrong?

I can think of no Rovers players that have done for a kick off, and there's no way whatsoever that David Bentley would be getting a starting place in the current Arsenal side.

What you have to ask is, regardless of the system, are the players good enough for the first team? You'd have to say that the answer is, more often than not, no.

That's the thing, I believe that in many cases, the confidence boost first team involvement gives to a youth player can be that ingredient that is the catalyst to their development into Prem footballers.

And even if they're not good enough - in that they are not superstars - clubs can make use of them as squad players. Alex Ferguson, who naturally has higher demands in terms of quality of players, has used players like John Curtis, Luke Chadwick, Jon Greening before discarding them for tidy sums.

The thing about Andy Taylor is quite simple really. Gray has been playing crap and is renowned as defensively weak. McEveley is defensively weak and if you don't allow your contempt for me to cloud your judgement, you will admit this. Hughes is trying to off-load Matteo.

Taylor has been awarded professional terms, a squad number, first team experience at right back in non-competitive first team matches, good performances in League Two (MoM on his debut for Crewe), good performances for the reserves for a few years and captaincy of the reserves and is now 20 which is getting quite ripe for a reserve player.

Surely, natural selection, if we must resort to Darwinism, should dictate when all others are losing their heads (and opposition wingers) that Taylor, bearing in mind the above, should jump the queue - at least onto the bench - and given a chance if he to see if he can do any better. Who knows, he might totally lose his head and fail. (On his MoM debut for Crewe he got caught out of position late in the game, conceded a free kick which led to the opposition scoring and winning). But after the numerous erros and poor showings of the others, he deserves his chance to shine or fail.

I'm not saying for one moment that I know more about our youth players than Hughes. That would be madness of the highest and most singular order. What I am saying is that there is a problem in the Premiership whereby Premiership managers err on the side of caution when it comes to giving youth players a chance due to an unfounded fear that inexperience is a fundamental weakness.

And the experienced but mediocre revel in this unfairness.

Edited by rover6

If Andy had played last night we could have gone into double figures.

What about this Nolan bloke? Is he any good? Only scored once when others were getting hat-tricks. Is he a goalkeeper or just not up to it?

Not sure what his best position is, but if Mickey Gray is called a defender left, then Reto Ziegler sure as hell is too.

2,5m + Ziegler for Neill anyone? :)

Spuds have Neil?? :blink:

I would like Ziegler as he is looking good but i think the most we could get for Neil considering his contract , in January would be about 750k's - 1m...?

I think Warnock is someone we should defo persue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.