BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brisa Agenda

Paul

Maybe if we got the facts we might find some marketeers amongst our members to assess the performance of the clubs marketing dept and poss propose an alternative marketing strategy. 'Whoever' needs to be good though.

That's not a problem with marketing strategy, but with people, or it may just be a mismatch of expectations. Do the club even know he is unhappy?

And anyway, BRFC is not Proctor & Gamble; if they have any professional marketing staff at all, those people are not likely to be breathtakingly good. Nor does the football industry come close to embracing the concept of marketing: a good marketing strategy aligns all aspects of the business behind meeting consumer needs based on compelling insights - don't make me larf!

Rovers need to focus on selling the impressive facilities bequeathed by Jack and then exceeeding expectations to those they have sold to, with emphasis on the latter. If they aren't doing either of those, they need better leadership in the commercial dept, not a new marketing strategy.

There you go scotty. Cometh the hour, cometh the man! :rover:

btw EiT we may not be Proctor & Gamble but surely we could contract out to a well respected marketing company without necessarily having to look in-house for somebody to do the job? Crikey I don't really know what TF and JW do anymore cos just about everything else has been franchised / contracted out already from ticketing and catering to the clubshop.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a current Marketing/PR student, I would die for the chance to work for Rovers in this particular field. I don't think that the current Marketing/PR department do enough to attract more support for the club. I do admit, as I am not based in the UK, I do not get to see what good things they may achieve.

I have an article from a Marketing magazine about Manchester Utd and how they market their club. It is a good read. I'll scan it and post on here for those interested.

As a current Marketing/PR student, I would die for the chance to work for Rovers in this particular field. I don't think that the current Marketing/PR department do enough to attract more support for the club. I do admit, as I am not based in the UK, I do not get to see what good things they may achieve.

You're not based in the country yet you feel that the club don't do enough to attract support.

Classic

You're not based in the country yet you feel that the club don't do enough to attract support.

Classic

My assumptions based on BRISA concerns and what other EPL teams actually do as part of their marketing campaign. You can honestly say that the clubs marketing is up to scratch?

My assumptions based on BRISA concerns and what other EPL teams actually do as part of their marketing campaign. You can honestly say that the clubs marketing is up to scratch?

As a Management graduate, I can tell you that Rovers marketing are in the top of the Premier League. This is based on the various activities and channels that the clubs utilises in their marketing mix.

Another club that excels is Charlton.

Infact many other Clubs have looked at our club and in some cases copied some of the stuff that Rovers have done over the years.

Edited by 78

As a Management graduate, I can tell you that Rovers marketing are in the top of the Premier League. This is based on the various activities and channels that the clubs utilises in their marketing mix.

The only person I have EVER heard say that...

..So what do you believe they do well as part of their mix?

what do they do badly?

I met a bunch of people from Blackburn at the World Cup who all asked why I would support Rovers. If you can't even get a feeling of pride about your club from the locals, the marketing can't be that great.

Ticketing isnt contracted out, nor is the concourse catering ;)

Right my mistake cos I thought the ST plastic cards etc were the responsibility of some Austrian company. As for the concourse catering the Riverside catering SHOULD definitely be contracted out. The speed of service is awful.

Must be something as Spurs/Villa pay Rovers to help with their own marketing for season ticket packs/club shops.

Do they pay for marketing? Or do they pay for design?

Whilst the latter is part of the former, its only a very very small part

If we are assiting other clubs with yer actual marketing activity then the question must be asked...

WHY?

Edited by stuwilky

Must be something as Spurs/Villa pay Rovers to help with their own marketing for season ticket packs/club shops.

You're kidding me? Spurs and Villa actually pay Rovers for advise on their Club Shops?!? How does that work?

"Good Morning Mr Spurs, Good Morning Mr Villa. Please take a seat. I understand you want some advise on our club shop? Well, we don't have a club shop anymore, we sold it to Sports World on a ten year contract. We do however have a DVD for sale, but that's only available from our Ticket Office. Thank you for coming, I hope that's helped. Our consultancy fee is £10,000 please. Good day."

Our club shop is a shambles.

Must say last season when I went down for a cup tie ticket I called in at the club shop looking for something to buy the kids and I always left empty handed cos it ALL appears to be just cheap tatt and mostly overpriced. It's not good.

Do they pay for marketing? Or do they pay for design?

Whilst the latter is part of the former, its only a very very small part

If we are assiting other clubs with yer actual marketing activity then the question must be asked...

WHY?

Agree entirely Stu - a clear conflict of interest imo.

what do they do badly?

They've been concentrating solely on Rovers recently, and there's no doubt that our club desperately needed the help. The team has had the experience working on campaigns for clubs like Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, governing bodies like the FA and Football League and this could only be good for the club.

I've also heard that both the ST numbers and hospitality figures are up on last year and if it’s true, then it's the first time that has happened for years.

We've seen ads on buses, LET/LEP, personalised direct mails, e-mails, billboard ads and had telephone messages from Mark Hughes. All of which highlight some quite innovative usage of media channels.

buses is innovative? newspaper advertising innovative?

Ill give you the Mark Hughes phone call, none of the rest is innovative....

Innovative was for the high level of personalisation in the direct mail campaigns (name on the back of the kit, etc) and the crm technology used in the emails and the telephone message.

I would have a look at the ads for other clubs in the papers- just pick the MEN and see Man Utd and City's ads and then have a look at the stuff the club churn out. Doesn't even come close.

I'm surprised at the lack of quality that most (if not all) Prem clubs release. Many of them see the admin side of things as secondary and feel that it's no use spending money on a decent pack when fans will make a purchase regardless of what it looks like. If Coca Cola was to follow that strategy, they would be gone in a matter of months.

That will soon change.

I've also heard that both the ST numbers and hospitality figures are up on last year and if it’s true, then it's the first time that has happened for years.

The club has its most successful season for years and season ticket sales/hospitality figures are up are they?!?! Of course they are up after the abysmal lows of last year! From 15th to 6th and plunging sales are (incredibly partially) alleviated...that plays far more of a part than any marketing scheme could ever dream of.

Must say last season when I went down for a cup tie ticket I called in at the club shop looking for something to buy the kids and I always left empty handed cos it ALL appears to be just cheap tatt and mostly overpriced. It's not good.

The last time I attempted to buy from the 'club shop' I was told it wasn't a club shop but a sport world outlet and Blackburn Rovers don't sell club merchandise any longer. It was not full of overpriced gear either, but it was full of £3 T-Shirts and complete tatt as you say Nod.

I guess we make more money from it being a Sports world shop than we ever did a club shop, but it doesn't make it right that they hardly sell club merchandise.

The club has its most successful season for years and season ticket sales/hospitality figures are up are they?!?! Of course they are up after the abysmal lows of last year! From 15th to 6th and plunging sales are (incredibly partially) alleviated...that plays far more of a part than any marketing scheme could ever dream of.

Last time Rovers finished 6th, we lost 1500 STH

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.