BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that league football at Accy will detract from Rovers' crowds (far from merging for the Drog, clubs in Lancashire are increasing in number!) I want them to come back and prove Butcher Bob wrong.

Accy Stanley are four points clear in the Conference but their attendances of around 1,500 puts them in the bottom half of Conference average attendances.

Next season if Stanley get promoted, it'll be interesting to see if the authorities make Rovers and Burnley play at home on the same Saturday, with Accy away and then at home on their own the following week.

369060[/snapback]

That'd be great! I'd get a season ticket for both smile.gif

Are you lot mad? Little Accy Stanley etc. The North West and our part of it in particular is overflowing with league clubs, Rovers need another league club 5 miles away like a hole in the head. If Accy come up and attract another 1k on the gate that is a potential Rovers fanbase gone, our clubs future is on the line and excuse me for my Scrooge mentality but the days when every town in Lancashire could have a league club and get good attendances are long gone-concentrate on the ROVERS, we need your support!

• 1 month later...

This could be an opportunity for us to have a "favoured club" arrangement whereby we loan young talent to help them mature in the lower leagues and gain experience whilst still being part of the Ewood set-up only 5 miles away. Stanley as a feeder club in the way that Preston seem to be able to tap into Man United's youth team? It has some merits.

As for the crowd issue - I believe this will have marginal impact - my mates in Accy (it is my home town) that occasionally go to the Stanley are, at best, very occasional visitors to other league grounds as they have other interests in life. These are not the guys who are going to permanently bolster our gates - they might go to the Arsenal game.

Rovers and Accy should get in there before Bstards and set up some 'joint club' season ticket scheme. Might detract ever so slightly from our away attendance but I doubt it. Could be a chance to offer some support to a local club that's becoing bigger than Bstards, but also put a few hundred extra on our gate.

Sounds a fair idea IHB. Suppose to some extent it'll depend on how often our and Stanley's games are on the same day, but maybe something along the lines of Stanley ST holders get a discount for Rovers tickets, or the opportunity to get in to a couple of Rovers games for free? Might be worth BRISA suggesting something to the club?

My mate goes to all Stanley home games and, a few months ago, they were having discussions as to how they could improve their attendances. Even though they were in the top 8 or so (now top by some way) their gates were no bigger than towards the end of the season when they won the Unibond. My mate was suggesting some sort of "interchange" with Rovers or Burnley - I'll see if I can find out if anything came of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.