BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers' Words Dictionary

There are a lot of post Sagesshou of description.

Oppositely

Is there a peculiar name to Rovers's special praised words?

I'm a new comer on this forum. maybe You feel so "Why are you asking about it?"

sorry.

but , I'd like to know , many of things I understand clearly. thak you for your help!

How do you explain about News papers LET , Sun, Mirror, Times, Guardian....etc...

Edited by dillo_dillo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thats very true, Rovers fans from Hyndburn tend to like Stanley, so as/if Stanley progress further, they could take a few fans from us. I really couldn't care less about them and my personal decision would be to put them into the 'who?' section.

They don't even deserve to be put in there. Can't see why BRFC fans pay any attention to clubs like that. I personally don't care about any of the local clubs. Local rivalry dosen't really mean anything to me...though I understand why it means something to others.

What about Crystal Palace? Some people still haven't got over the 1989 playoff final.

Edited by Anti-Man Utd

depends. if you live close to accy, you could have a soft-spot for them.

personally, i dont, and therefore couldnt care less about 'stanley.'

I live in Ossy and I aint got a soft spot for them, I get the usual 'well your from round here' to which I respond I was born in Blackburn and live in Ossy so I dont bother about them.

Work sponsor them and ive been offered tickets before but it really doesn't interest me

Thank you guys.

Accy = ACCORINGTON

Ossy = OSWALDTWISTLE ?

Hyndburn... Where?? Which area??

--->I knew it.

"Hyndburn is a local government district with borough status in Lancashire, England. Its council is based in Accrington. The district is named after the River Hyndburn.

It was formed in 1974 by the amalgamation of the Borough of Accrington, the Urban Districts of Church, Clayton-le-Moors, Great Harwood, Oswaldtwistle and Rishton, and part of the Burnley Rural District."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyndburn

Edited by dillo_dillo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I read "A Dingle, where does the term/name come from" thread.

I'm a Stranger(outsider) and newcomer on this forum.

sometimes I don't understand what are you talking about.

I want to need ...like " Rovers word dictionary( Rovers "wikipedia ")

ex)

Burnley >> see [Dingles]

[D]

Dingles : a.k.a Burnley.

Dingle is ~~~.

How do you think about it?

I really want to it reading and more enjoying for this forum...

I'm happy If you post your word for Rovers.

One day, I'll contain the words of it ,and translate it on my Japanese Rovers fan-site.

yes, many japanese Rovers fan hard to understand word of fan's special Rovers's words.

Wikipedia's

Blackburn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn

Blackburn Rovers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Rovers

Well now Dillo Dillo, to try and answer your query on "what is a Dingle?"

Where this term originates from is a TV programme that runs every weekday at 7pm on the ITV main network and is seen in all regions of the UK. In this programme the Dingles are a family of very dubious character, and very "scruffy". They seem to all live together in the one cottage in a fictitious village called Emmerdale in the Yorkshire dales. The programme is called after the village; "Emmerdale". Now this family of Dingles are cast as being very stupid and very ugly (well most of them) and there is an unspoken but strong suspicion of inbreeding with them as well. They don't seem to be gainfully employed but always seem to have enough money for smoking and drinking to excess in the local pub. They are also involved most of the time in all sorts of dodgy deals and scams. Thats it really, except to say that somwhere along the way some Rovers fans must have noticed the strong resemblance of the Dingles to the Burnley fans and the name has stuck ever since.

The actor playing one of the main characters in the TV family, Zak Dingle, lives in Burnley.

The first time I heard the Burnley fans described as 'Dingles' was by Preston fans and then it seemed to be adopted by the Rovers fans. The nickname has proved an irritant to some of the Clarets as it is connected with Yorkshire and a particularly dumb family.

As an aside some of the Bolton fans use the same term for us but others call us the Clampetts. Never bothered me what they say though as they make Burnley fans appear intelligent :lol:

Thanks Fife Rover, Roversider !!

I have many things (words ) are still unclearly.

and

LOCAL ACCENT is amazingly difficult to catch. even Footy words.

...like

"Aah mon deg mi plants or thill dee."

( I must water my plants or they will die )

"Acs him worr he waants"

(ask him what he wants)

http://www.wigandialect.co.uk/phrases.htm

Let me know you know well about Lancashire accent :)

The actor playing one of the main characters in the TV family, Zak Dingle, lives in Burnley.

The first time I heard the Burnley fans described as 'Dingles' was by Preston fans and then it seemed to be adopted by the Rovers fans. The nickname has proved an irritant to some of the Clarets as it is connected with Yorkshire and a particularly dumb family.

As an aside some of the Bolton fans use the same term for us but others call us the Clampetts. Never bothered me what they say though as they make Burnley fans appear intelligent :lol:

To confuse matters further some supporters of West Midlands clubs call Wolves fans Dingles as well.

It's mentioned on this MB somewhere.

Why so Yorkshire and Lancashire competitive ?

I hard 14th century's Rose war derived this rivals....

What's the Rose war and have another reasons?

If you have peoples who are similar and then draw a line between them, whether that line be ideological/geographical or whatever, the peoples on each side of the line instantly become rivals...

For the avoidance of doubt, that doesn't include Blackburn/Burnley stuff. Burnley _needs_ a big line (preferably a wall) around it, but doesn't have one...

Did anyone notice the 5 most dangerous roads in Britain? No 1 and no 5 were roads out of Burnley. Who thought you could do that much damage on a horse and cart? Stats lie, though. Apparently, the number of serious knuckle scraping injuries on those roads skewed the figures...

;-)

What about th breezblock (the reebok) because of its climate) and Lucash for neil due to his move to west ham for money.

Thought it was named the 'Breezeblock' due to the building materials used in its structure!?

Dillo,

I think I'm falling in love with you. As are probably many other who post on here. Why a woman from Japan decided to like Blackburn?

Rovers is your decision, but you have done it so you'll just have to live with it.

I've often had the feeling that why PNE is not rival? 'cause I didn't read about it.

They are not really our rivals. Just a few Rovers suporters who are too aggressive for their own good think that they are out local rivals.

They are not really.

Why Lilly?

OK, you've got the answer to that one. Lilly Savage

" Lancashire accent "
Now this is a strange and difficult question to answer. I've lived in Manchester for 30 years. It's about 50km south of Blackburn, but everyone here speaks differently. When I go back to Blackburn everyone seems to me to speak differently. Here in Manchester everyone thinks I speak with a Blackburn accent.

50km to the west of here is Liverpool and they all talk different there. It is just local accents. If you go 200km south you will meet another accent, and they will use different words

Which is Accy Stan? We don't care catergory?

You can look "Accrington Stanley " up on the internet. Most of us are quite pleased that Accrington Stanley have got promoted and back into the football league. Some of us with longer memories will remember that Accrington were forced into insolvency( english law for having no money) by Burnley FC. Which is why some of us quite like Accringon Stanley & do not like Burnley. It was 35 years ago.

How do you explain about News papers LET , Sun, Mirror, Times, Guardian....etc...

The Lancashire Evening Telegraph covers news in Blackburn & Burnley and Accrington.

The Sun & The Mirror cover the news from a national viewpoint, but they just tell you what the pop stars & what the celebrities are doing.

The Times; The Guardian; & The Telegraph will give you the serious news.

Why so Yorkshire and Lancashire competitive ?I heard 14th century's Rose war derived this rivals....

Only a few silly people bother about that any more, We had a big fight 600 years ago it was all about who got to have the crown of England.

Only a few silly people bother about that any more, We had a big fight 600 years ago it was all about who got to have the crown of England.

Don't listen to our silly friend from Manchester Dillo, that isn't even in Lancashire anymore due to boundary changes!.

All true Lancastrians know the only good thing coming out of Yorkshire is the road to Lancashire!

;):D

Did no one mention Wigan-Pie Eaters, don't know why but that's one of my favourites.

Why?

sorry, It's a little bit serious question.

Why you use that words? you don't know reason why...

I know, I know, These are LIGHT joke or something like that...

but I try to use carefully the nasty words. If they use it, I asked reason why.

I'm a Japanese. I had many times " F###ing Jap" "Chino". I didn't care if older people said, ' cause some older people not forget World war , They had bad memory of our country.

I really hurts young (looks like teennager or more young kids) say that.

I think they don't have bad /negative experience from our country. It's just their image. who make that image? I don't know ... I guess ..... someone use bad words , imitate someone's way of speaking...

It's the why don't use nasty words if i don't know that mean .... it's my experience.

Most of the footie rivalry words don't have a history like "f-ing jap", in fairness. Not sure about the Pie-Eaters one myself, but most of them are a play on words related to the clubs name or nickname . For instance, "Mank" means kinda horrible, so Manchester people are "Mancs" - it sounds the same. Same for Spurs to Spuds, spuds meaning potatoes, and ManU to manure).

The rest tend to be references to either a reference to a television show (like Dingles and Scousers) and/or something related to the perceived stupidities of the area. I'm from a (small) city charmingly nicknamed "Stab City". Nice, huh? Not that we really care any more.

Also, culturally, the English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish have a certain admiration for a clever insult. The more elaborate, the better! So sense of humour counts, too. Take this charming song about the Dingles - a reference to the inbreeding.

"Yer mum's yer dad,

Yer dad's yer mum,

You've got webbed feet,

You're Burnley scum."

Insulting? Hell yeah. Clever and funny? Hell, yeah! Now stunts referring to some incidents are a bit out of line (in my opinion, folks) such as the waving of inflatable spitfires in a very well hosted world cup in Germany. But that's just my opinion.

In summary - football nicknames don't quite equate to racist abuse, which is what you're talking about.

Incidentally, I'd like to mention that I visited Japan last year, seeing Yokohama, Tokyo, Kamakura, Kyoto, and (oddly) Maizuru. I had a great, if somewhat expensive, time, and found nearly everyone to be extremely friendly and the country to be both beautiful and interesting. I'd highly recommend it if you're planning a vacation and can afford it. I'd love to go back and visit Osaka, Hiroshima and basically all the rest!

I know, I know Daewn!

I understand what you say!

I don't want to say churchy socially rule.

Footy words are really funny things.

I enjoying footy words and so.

I don't know basic knowledge about Rovers and UK footy culture.

then,

I asking my question on here.

'cause I want to MORE enjoy the UK footie things.

I'd like to use nasty word, before I understood that mean.

I'm happy you had a good time in Japan.

"Lancashire accent"

Now this is a strange and difficult question to answer. I've lived in Manchester for 30 years. It's about 50km south of Blackburn, but everyone here speaks differently. When I go back to Blackburn everyone seems to me to speak differently. Here in Manchester everyone thinks I speak with a Blackburn accent.

50km to the west of here is Liverpool and they all talk different there. It is just local accents. If you go 200km south you will meet another accent, and they will use different words

I don't think I said right either, 'cause It's on my limited experience...

at Manchester. They didn't speak BBC World News broadcaster , But I could understand what were they speaking about.

at Blackburn, I hard to catch the words. they speaking strange (for me) accent... often "u" pronounce"o" ("pub=pob", "but= bot" ), right? and to speak fast!!!... like Garry Flitcroft type, so... I couldn't catch Lee Grooby speaking. I feel like they speaking abbreviate to every words. It's really hard for me.

most "hard to catch the word place " is Pleston !

though, better than Liverpool accent.

Why?

sorry, It's a little bit serious question.

Why you use that words? you don't know reason why...

I know, I know, These are LIGHT joke or something like that...

but I try to use carefully the nasty words. If they use it, I asked reason why.

This is why Wiganers are called pie-eaters:

Wiganers are reputed to have gained the epithet 'pie-eaters' not for their voracious appetite for pastry products, but from their abject collapse in the general strike (early 20th Century). The Wiganers took what managers offered, ate the humble pie that was being served up, and helped to break the strike, gaining the contempt of workers in surrounding areas.

In a bizarre transference, the population retained and took to heart the 'pie-eating' insult, and transformed it into a battle standard. Bus loads of rugby league supporters who frequently travelled to see their team play for top honours at Wembley2 (how strange that a principally northern sport should have to play its season-topping match in London) would display 'Pie Eater' banners from the windows, and chant 'Pie Eaters' for all they were worth. Little thought ever seemed to be given to the history of 'scabbing' that lay behind the name. For the Wiganers were 'Pie-eaters and proud of it.'.

This is why Wiganers are called pie-eaters:

...snip...

In fairness they do eat a lot of pies, too. I've wandered round Wigan on a Saturday afternoon and seen em :)

"I'm bound for't'shop for't'get some pies. Baat ate."

Edited by b12_simon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.