SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Weather

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years without a summer now in the North West! It is a joke,

The rain helps to make England a green and pleasant land .... and is one reason why it's such a wonderful country.

Another reason being our PM Gordon Brown of course

The rain helps to make England a green and pleasant land .... and is one reason why it's such a wonderful country.

:lol:

will the last one out turn the lights off, oh and put a bucket under the drips

:lol:

Aha! Sussed you out Jimbo! You are really a double agent working for the tory party! :lol:

scotchrover will have your guts for garters when he realises.

Day 21 for August and, in Darwen, it's now rained on 19 of them. Just thought you'd like to know. I'm bored.....and wet. :(

When we live somewhere as beautiful as Darwen though CLB, it's great even when it's raining. Agreed it was a bit damp at lunchtime - I went for a run out the back and was running in flowing water on the paths on the moor. It's always a shame when Jubilee tower disappears in the mist.

But then tonight it was clear, the view over to the tower was fabulous and the colours at sunset were stunning.

When we live somewhere as beautiful as Darwen though CLB, it's great even when it's raining. Agreed it was a bit damp at lunchtime - I went for a run out the back and was running in flowing water on the paths on the moor. It's always a shame when Jubilee tower disappears in the mist.

But then tonight it was clear, the view over to the tower was fabulous and the colours at sunset were stunning.

Those lovely sentiments about our town brought a tear to my eye Tris. :lol:

To think it's been referred to on here as a 'mini Burnley!'

• 3 months later...

I know a primary school caretaker who says teachers are 'kicking off because they can't have a day off' because the school in Rishton hasn't been closed by the weather.

It's 'elf & safety' they say. What danger to a child's health from the weather?

The rule they go by is maximum class numbers. So you can't have one teacher flitting between 2 classes then.

Shops are open. Factories are open. Wagons and trains moving the length of the country.

A primary school usually has a small catchment area. Yet the first bit of sleet and the teachers are nowhere to be seen.

What about their duty of care to the children? I bet they run a rota to get schools closed in bad weather.

Let's say a primary school has 10 classes of 30. When it is closed, thats approximately 300 parents who need to book a day off or lose pay.

The children lose a days education.

It doesn't happen in Finland, Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It didn't happen here 30 years ago.

I'd sack the stayaway teachers and give the children their education.

Edited by MCMC1875

Trains? They get cancelled when a leaf is suspected to be on the line, they are terrible.

If the buses stop tomorrow, most of the schools and colleges will shut because too many people get stranded.

Can't agree. Taxi drivers manage to get through.

If the cold snap lasted a couple of weeks, boredom would force people to return to normality regardless of 'elf and safety.

Edited by MCMC1875

I know a primary school caretaker who says teachers are 'kicking off because they can't have a day off' because the school in Rishton hasn't been closed by the weather.

It's 'elf & safety' they say. What danger to a child's health from the weather?

The rule they go by is maximum class numbers. So you can't have one teacher flitting between 2 classes then.

Shops are open. Factories are open. Wagons and trains moving the length of the country.

A primary school usually has a small catchment area. Yet the first bit of sleet and the teachers are nowhere to be seen.

What about their duty of care to the children? I bet they run a rota to get schools closed in bad weather.

Let's say a primary school has 10 classes of 30. When it is closed, thats approximately 300 parents who need to book a day off or lose pay.

The children lose a days education.

It doesn't happen in Finland, Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It didn't happen here 30 years ago.

I'd sack the stayaway teachers and give the children their education.

The number of school closures because of a dusting of snow is ridiculous. Sending kids home when their parents are at work is wicked and simply an abandonment of responsibility.

Edited by thenodrog

• 1 year later...

After a promising start, it looks like another crud summer again here in Lancs. What's it been like down south anyone?

Odd comment seeing the Leeds - Liverpool canal is closed because of a lack of water ! Weather's been perfect as far as I am concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our backyard is enclosed on all four sides except for a normal sized gate....................so I'm still trying to work out how the wheelie bin ended up 100 yards down the street!!! Fortunately Wednesday was bin day. :blink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.