BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Weather

The UK is currently experiencing one of its famed heatwaves and has been since the World Cup started. As an exiled Brit, this phoenomenon is now but a marvellous memory to me as whenever I venture home it is either the dead of winter or the ususal rain. I was in London in 2005 for their "hottest May day in 50 years". My memories of "silly season" give me a smile every time I think about it. I've been kept abreast of the weather by a host of bragging friends and relatives who regail me with soundbites such as:

"It's too hot to work". You can also insert sleep/cook/eat/think and any other everyday habit here.

"It's hotter than ..... today" Insert exotic locale here

Add to this news bulletins on hosepipe bans, stay cool tips, rumours of pubs runnning out of beer, supermarkets out of sausages and you have the makings of a very British comedy.

pg got me onto this topic with his musings. Does anyone have any other observations/anecdotes on the British summer.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Dublin this morning, and have never known it so hot there.

When I got back to London this afternoon, it was way hotter than Dublin - I thought I'd arrived in the tropics.

It's been a strange summer - as May turned to June I had to stick the heating on one evening. Since then, we've had a couple of these mini heat waves - and this one is beyond anything I can remember.

To speeeeeeedie's point - I think that it becomes such an issue here because we are a.) so ill suited to the heat and b.) so ill prepared. None of London's buses or tubes have air con. Terminal 1 at Heathrow - very little air con. Like a greenhouse today walking from the gate back to the main building.

Most modern offices do have air con - but most older buildings don't.

And where in many parts of the world (including the USA) you can buy a unit which props up a sliding window, pumps freezing cold air into any room (and CFCs out into the atmosphere like 10 fridges on speed) for about 50 dollars - you can't over here.

Cheapest are about 200 quid (but they don't wreck the atmosphere) - and for maybe 10 days out of 365 it's just not worth it. So when it is this hot we moan because it's hot at home, uncomfortably hot on the way to work, often hot at work, desperately hot on the way back, and then we can't flippin sleep at night cos it's too bloody hot!!

:rover:

Edited by Tris

Keep your curtains closed during the day........it will keep the house much cooler.

Maybe so, but you'll look like a recluse freak. Very hot in Paris these days, I love it, though not always great when you live in an apartment.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I have to spend all day in the open, literally no shade, discussing bedding plant trials with customers. Being slightly follicly challenged :D today I'm going to buy a hat - style suggestions welcome!

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I have to spend all day in the open, literally no shade, discussing bedding plant trials with customers. Being slightly follicly challenged :D today I'm going to buy a hat - style suggestions welcome!

Something the size of a marquee :o

Sod the hat.. the scouse afro is the way forward.

IPB Image

I have a digital thermometer on my desk, not in direct sunlight so it gives a proper number.

Today is offically the hottest day of the year so far on Preston Docks, we finally broke the 30 degrees barrier.

I had to catch the train back to Chorley last night, and most trains were either delayed or cancelled due to the heat causing the tracks to expand, leading to speed limits on the track! Max speed 20 MPH.

Currently a brain busting 49 degrees out in Iraq!!!!!! IPB Image

Its past the point of enjoyment when your have to work in this heat.

Cheers dude! I'd managed to forget what the heat was like out there, you know so hot that by the time you got back from the shower to your billet you were sweating again!

I'm trying to sleep through this heat as I am on nights....not fun! I wish I could turn the house 90 degrees!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.