BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Basel

If I didn't know better I'd think he was permanently stoned. He has that glaikit look on his face which suggests that he's looking at the ball and saying "pretty ball- must watch pretty ball"

I did sell him a half of finest Pakistani Black last week.

It must have worn off at half time.

Thank goodness we scored three in the last 15 minutes, my toes were about to drop off. All that jumping up and down means I don't need to have amputations for frostbite.

Note to self: must wear woolly socks

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I read any of this thread, here are my observations of the match:-

Up until Tugay's wonder goal, I thought Rovers were under the cosh a bit. We were clearly not the best side in the first half. They could have (and should have) been 2-1 up [bentley's awful miss].

But Rovers upped the tempo in the second half and looked much better. Even so, I was content to settle for a 0-0 draw and grab a point.

Once we gained the lead there was only one team in it. But they did not deserve to go away with a 3-0 beating.

I'd like to see a lot more of Gally and Jeffers. Maybe we will due to injury of others.

Zurab and Ooijer played extremely well and Toogs was in his element.

Nice looking at the league table.

I have to say it's getting more entertaining watching Tugay come up with ways to waste time every game. About a minute before he was going to be subbed he's edging, no marching, towards the Riverside to try to get as far away from the dugouts as he can. Brilliant! And how he loves the adulation, the guy's a true entertainer and will be sorely missed when he departs.

Who remembers at the Reebok stadium when Toogs, who wasn't playing that day, came walking from the dugouts towards away supporters' end, climbed over the wall and walked up among us, being cheered and saluted all the way? He was obviously making his way towards family or friends but he milked the adulation we eagerly gave.

I am quite worried that people want to see more of Gally and Jeffers. Don't get me wrong, I think both are doing well coming off of the bench, but I think they are Kuqiesque in this manner. Great subs and they offer us something different, but whenever you see them on the pitch for long periods from the start of the game they offer little, especially in the case of Gally. Jeffers has been more impressive then I expected, but he is certainly 4th choice for me in the strikers list (1st for penalties though).

Jeffers has been more impressive then I expected, but he is certainly 4th choice for me in the strikers list.

That in itself illustrates how well Sparky has performed in the transfer market. Without doubt Jeffers has real quality and if he is only 4th in your opinion (btw not mine eddie but thats bye the bye) then just how good is that for BRFC?

I think it is very good and certainly shows an improvement on previous years. However, we must remember that this is a striker who hadn't scored for 18 months (or something around that mark) before last night and that record still stands in the premiership and it was only a penalty afterall. He isn't suddenly worth the £8 million all over again simply because he's put in some good 15-20 minute displays and can smack a dead ball from a few yards. He is certainly behind Nonda and Benni, if he can push himself above Roberts (hard to judge because we haven't seen much of either) is yet to be seen. The advantage he does have is that he is a very different style of player to the other three, who all have somewhat similar styles (particularly with Nonda and Roberts who rely so much on pace and strength).

I am quite worried that people want to see more of Gally and Jeffers. Don't get me wrong, I think both are doing well coming off of the bench, but I think they are Kuqiesque in this manner. Great subs and they offer us something different, but whenever you see them on the pitch for long periods from the start of the game they offer little, especially in the case of Gally. Jeffers has been more impressive then I expected, but he is certainly 4th choice for me in the strikers list (1st for penalties though).

Agree with that - both really don't seem to be up for it over the 90 mins but with more confidence and sharpness Jeffers may well revise that oppinion.

Not mentioned but something I found significant was that our entire bench last night cost less than half a million pounds. Even with injuries that seems pretty worrying for an English team playing in europe, especially considering that there were seven subs.

He isn't suddenly worth the £8 million all over again simply because he's put in some good 15-20 minute displays and can smack a dead ball from a few yards.

No-one else ib the team can put a dead ball in from a few yards atm... :P

Fair play, he still has a lot of improvement, but keep the faith

This needs a sentence on it's own. Mcky Gray is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. I never worry when he's in the team. He may not be the best but he'll give you all he's got every time.

Gray is pretty good going forward. He certainly makes Pedersen play better. The problem with him though is that defensively he's a weak link. He's too small and he's too slow defensively. Teams constantly hit diagonal balls for their forwards to run onto knowing that he won't be able to head them out and won't be able to keep pace. That means one of the CB's coming across leaving large gaps.

eddie

Jeffers is a different player these days and he is currently 3rd choice striker.

if you watch his play he is more involved, he runs, harrangs, harrasses and is hungry for the ball, he is definately the player you saw at arsenal or charlton. He and Gally are both "up for it" and are more than capable of holding their own given a chance. That chance has come with the injuries. You can measure Jeffers confidence in the manner in which he despatched the penalty.

:brfc:

He clearly isn't third choice. Whenever fit all the other three have been started, Jeffers needs two of them to be out to get a game. Maybe he is a different player now, but I don't think I've seen enough of him to fairly judge that. A few minutes here and there as substitute with the odd longer performance make it hard to judge if a player is really up to it. On the basis that he isn't third choice for Hughes, who sees him day-in-day-out, then I'll have to say he isn't third choice for me at the moment.

As for how Jeffers dispatched the penalty, it did show me that he's an ok penalty taker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.