BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Basel

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooijer was excellent again, hes showing his true class.

Neil - not as good as Emerton

Nonda - a class act, he just needs a goal, excellent at holding the ball up and linking the play.

Jeffers - has the bottle to take the penalty and then helps in setting up bennis goal. Jeffers is starting to show the class Wenger once saw, It'd be nice to see him at least come on earlier in games instead of a measily 10 minutes every other game.

Pedersen - was okay, the only people are bigging him up is because hes been so shocking this season.

Mokoena - Sparkys worst signing? not very good

Gally - Again has a impact from the bench, Should have come on instead of the Axe, I'd like to see Sparky bring him on earlier in games though.

and...

Gray - please get rid of this donkey Sparky, he gets worse every game, Why on earth does he even try to attack the full back, he never ever succeeds and just runs into the defender, sometimes being lucky and winning a freekick. He'd look crap in the championship. As long as hes in the team the opposition has 12 players.

Unbelievable 3-0 scoreline from an extremely poor performance - at least until Tugay scored - and up until his annual screamer he'd hardly passed to a Rovers player.

Neill looked like he couldn't be in the least bit arsed, hasn't there been some new transfer speculation about him this week?

Gray had a poor game.

Savage was just about the only player who turned up properly in the first half prior to injury. Mokeona was simply dreadful as his replacement.

Bentley and MGP were quite lively throughout.

The front two were awful, I thought they'd cloned Dwight Yorke twice and we'd resigned both.

Yet again we looked a lot more potent when Gallagher came on for the last few minutes.

Fantastic result in the context of the competition but not very encouraging for the immediate League games, particularly Savage's injury.

Unbelievable 3-0 scoreline from an extremely poor performance

After the notlob game i couldn't care if we played park football and won 5-0. A win is a win is a win, as they say!

Topping the group! :rover: We're Just a Small Town In Europe!!!! :brfc:

After the notlob game i couldn't care if we played park football and won 5-0. A win is a win is a win, as they say!

Topping the group! :rover: We're Just a Small Town In Europe!!!! :brfc:

True, I remember jim commenting it was no use playing well and losing after our brilliant performance in the 2-3 reverse at Spuds last season.

MGP was exactly as he has been all season. Weak, poor and clueless. It was a bloody good job he was breathed upon and went down for the penalty or he certainly (given the earlier efforts) wouldn't have scored.

There was one particular point in the first half when he wandered quite aimlessly over and stood looking at Bentley (who had the ball) and then just as aimlessly wandered back over without doing anything which remotely resembled trying to become involved. If I didn't know better I'd think he was permanently stoned. He has that glaikit look on his face which suggests that he's looking at the ball and saying "pretty ball- must watch pretty ball"

Tugay is god. Brad walks on water. Mikey Gray isn't half as bad as people on here are suggesting.

I miss Bert (Now there's a phrase I never thought I'd say)

Gray - whole defence looks nervous when he's about but I do think his support to Morten going forward makes Morten play better

I'd go along with that Mr Hill. I'm increasingly seeing what others have been saying for a while about the weakness we have at LB (McEveley, Matteo) and whilst he's nowhere near as bad as a lot of posters would have us believe, he does have a knack of getting totally done for pace. Someone like Lennon (Spurs) will have a field day against him. Best of a poor bunch and at least makes the left side of the field OK attacking-wise.

Anyway, big shout for Zurab. Thought he had a cracking game.

And I was lucky enough to be sitting just in front of Toogs' fan club in the JW Lower (Mrs Tugay is quite tasty) so you can imagine the hell that broke loose when he got that tap in.

I'd go along with that Mr Hill. I'm increasingly seeing what others have been saying for a while about the weakness we have at LB (McEveley, Matteo) and whilst he's nowhere near as bad as a lot of posters would have us believe, he does have a knack of getting totally done for pace. Someone like Lennon (Spurs) will have a field day against him. Best of a poor bunch and at least makes the left side of the field OK attacking-wise.

Anyway, big shout for Zurab. Thought he had a cracking game.

And I was lucky enough to be sitting just in front of Toogs' fan club in the JW Lower (Mrs Tugay is quite tasty) so you can imagine the hell that broke loose when he got that tap in.

He already has.

Fair play to Zurab though, he was excellent tonight.

Hands up who saw that result coming half way through the second half? An unbelieveable result in the end from a game where Rovers were second best for large parts. Still, do I care? God no.

There was some good team news before the game - Savage, Nonda and Pedersen were all fit and named in the starting 11 - only Emerton was missing from our usual first-choice team. However, on a bitterly cold night the Rovers just didn't get started. Basle were quicker, stronger and hungrier than us, and they displayed a much higher level of technical and passing ability. They attacked us from the off and soon started to create chances - thankfully their finishing was awful throughout the match. One notable chance, a point-blank header from the edge of the six-yard box, brought a miraculous save from Friedel. Most of Basel's other attempts though (and there were plenty of them) were blocked or off target.

Basel played with a very deep-lying central midfielder who almost became a fifth centre-half when we had the ball. This allowed them to track either Nonda or McCarthy when they attempted to come short and link play, meaning that we couldn't hold the ball up front and lacked options in midfield. As a result our passing was awful and we constantly gave the ball away. Then we were a yard off the pace when Basle had the ball and didn't work hard enough to get it back.

Towards the end of the half though we did manage to create a couple of chances, both Pedersen and Bentley had efforts that they should have done better with, but overall we were lucky to go in at half-time level. The other notable event in the first half was the injury to Savage (replaced by Mokoena). Let's hope it's not serious because we're looking pretty short in central midfield if it is.

We started the second half much brighter and attacked from the off. Nonda (I think) missed a glorious chance from a Neill cross, heading weakly straight at the keeper when it seemed easier to score. We also won a few corners and free-kicks and generally looked like we'd decided to play at last. Our domination was only temporary though as the pattern of the first half started to emerge after around 15 minutes. Basle always looked a threat when they attacked and, yet again, they spurned several shooting opportunites through some rank bad finishing. They also had a great free-kick well saved by Friedel, and headed the subsequent rebound wide when it really should have been on-target at least.

I'd just started to settle for point, maybe hope for a point was more accurate, when Tugay produced a moment of complete magic out of nowhere. He controlled a difficult ball, turned his marker expertly, advanced a few yards, and floated an absolutely magestic shot into the top corner of the net from about 30 yards. The Basle keeper just stood and watched. A moment of true quality that was a mile above anything we had produced in the match so far.

Hughes then decided to bring on some fresh legs, replacing Tugay and Nonda with Gallagher and Jeffers. Just as an aside, Tugay also stormed ahead in Rovers' "longest time to walk off when subbed" competition, easily beating McCarthy's valient effort in Salzburg. The confidence of a goal plus the fresh legs gave us an impetus that had been missing for most of the night, and suddenly we were all over Basle. In the last ten minutes we won a penalty that Jeffers blasted into the middle of the goal and, late on, McCarthy tucked in a rebound from a useful Gallagher shot.

3-0 it finished and Basle must be shaking their heads wondering how on earth that happened.

Friedel pulled off a couple of great saves and kept us in the match. Our two central defenders flatter to deceive. They are good on the ball, make the odd decent interception, and Ooijer in particular is pretty good in the air, yet they continue to allow opposition players time and space and gift them chances. With better finishing, heck with just normal finishing, Basle could easily have got 4 or 5 goals today. Our two full backs were poor, Neill in particular didn't look his usual attacking threat (possibly carrying a knock?). Gray at least tried to get forward and influence play, but all too often he just gave the ball away. He was better than he was at West Ham though.

We were overrun in midfield for large parts of the first half but competed better in the second. Tugay was the only player who seemed able to pass the ball to another Rovers player earlier on, and, of course, he deserved to win the man of the match award for his goal alone. Savage was injured mid-way through the first half and Mokoena showed again that he lacks the passing ability to play in a 4-4-2. Pedersen was poor in the first half (as were the whole team to be fair) but played much better in the second. Bentley did ok without ever really excelling.

Up front our forwards were shackled well by Basle. Nonda was poor though, again I wonder if he was really fit, and could have been subbed much earlier than he was. McCarthy at least showed the odd flash of quality and he was in the right place at the right time to score at the death.

We were second best for the most part today and got lucky with the result, but there have been plenty of games when we've played well and not got what we deserved (Bolton most recently) so I'm not going to begrudge the win. Spare a thought though for the 100 or so Basle fans that made the trip to Ewood. They must be completely shell-shocked by what they saw and it'll be a long journey home for them.

Still, we're in a great position in the group now. I think we've already done enough to qualify, it would take a remarkable set of results now for us to miss out, but it's important we try to top the group. I suspect the Nancy home game may decide whether we do that or not. But, whatever the outcome of that match, it looks like our European adventure is going to carry on into next year. I can't wait.

Could I have some directions to Ewood please, clearly I was at a different game from the majority. From start to finish the match was thoroughly entertaining and Rovers have doen very well to comprehensively beat a good, well organised side who few seem to be giving any credit. It was a comprehensive victory, 3-0 no one can argue with that.

I had no expectations of Basel before the game and was surpised by how open the whole gane turned out to be. Basel clearly hoped to suck us in and catch us on the counter-attack but theirs was not a negative way of achieving this which lead to a goalless but very entertaining first-half. Yes we could have been 3-0 down if Brad hadn't been in great form - but that's why he is in the team. If the keeper is making great saves why complain? I don't think you'd see a first-half like this in the PL as most away sides are so negative and scared of losing.

Hughes clearly let everyone know the game was there to be won in the second-half. Rovers upped the pace, improved their short passing and made life difficulty for Basel. At no point in the game did I feel we would lose but did wonder if we would win. Then Tugay struck with what is surely one of the finest individual goals seen at Ewood. From perhaps 40 yards out he let rip, the keeper didn't move, I shrugged my shoulders as I thought it was over the bar and then the ball dipped wickedly below the bar - TUGAY! TUGAY! TUGAY! One of those great moments you watch football for. Thousands stayed at home and missed it. Ha! Ha! you reap what you sow.

Once we scored the result was never in doubt, Basel looked dispirited and beaten. Great to see Franny grab the ball so ositively for the penalty. Overall a good performance all round by the whole team. The only player who worried me was The Axe who clearly can only play defensively, he's no attacking thought in his game. Thought MGP had a much improved game, especially in the second-half.

This needs a sentence on it's own. Mcky Gray is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. I never worry when he's in the team. He may not be the best but he'll give you all he's got every time.

Apologies to the rest who clearly didn't enjoy the first half. If we were so bad how come the crowd didn't resort to it's usal half-time, half-hearted booing? I had an excellent night, thoroughly entertained from start to finish, three goals including a Tugay classic that will live in the mind for many years. Bring on the Nancy boys, if you didn't get to Ewood last night get a ticket now for the next one.

Thought Mickey Gray was way off the pace but thats probably down to match fitness and he worked as hard as he could to do something about it. Neill on the other hand really did look like he couldn't be arsed - definately his worst game for ages, whats going-on there? Also it looks like Nonda & Benni are going to have to put some work into their partnership - both good players but as a pair they don't look great right now

On the positive side Zurab would have been my MOM if it hadn't been for Brad's saves and its good to see Jeffers scoring and looking sharp albeit for just a short time.

Lets hope we can combine a decent performance with a good result at Villa and get our prem season back on track.

Very good game and very enjoyable to watch. We weren't very good in the first half, but I thought that we were in total control in the second and deserved the win. Great goal from Tugay, soft penatly (but at least we scored one) and good to see Benni getting another goal.

Just as an aside, Tugay also stormed ahead in Rovers' "longest time to walk off when subbed" competition, easily beating McCarthy's valient effort in Salzburg.

I have to say it's getting more entertaining watching Tugay come up with ways to waste time every game. About a minute before he was going to be subbed he's edging, no marching, towards the Riverside to try to get as far away from the dugouts as he can. Brilliant! And how he loves the adulation, the guy's a true entertainer and will be sorely missed when he departs.

Mokoena - Sparkys worst signing? not very good

Was he bad? Savage will be out for weeks so the Axe may have to stomp around in midfield for a while - pretending to be a footballer...

I think Gray will get better as he eases himself back in.

Edited by rover6

Basle were very good on the ball, and defended in numbers making it hard for us to break down. They would have settled for a point. Once we went 1-0 and they committed more men forward, we dominated. Simple as that. You also have to remember we had six first teamers out, and lost Savage early.

One thing I will say, is SACK Gray and Mokoena. Absolute rubbish. Gray's passing was an utter disgrace and he is too slow! St Johns Ambulance shifted quicker.

Could I have some directions to Ewood please, clearly I was at a different game from the majority. From start to finish the match was thoroughly entertaining and Rovers have doen very well to comprehensively beat a good, well organised side who few seem to be giving any credit. It was a comprehensive victory, 3-0 no one can argue with that.

I had no expectations of Basel before the game and was surpised by how open the whole gane turned out to be. Basel clearly hoped to suck us in and catch us on the counter-attack but theirs was not a negative way of achieving this which lead to a goalless but very entertaining first-half. Yes we could have been 3-0 down if Brad hadn't been in great form - but that's why he is in the team. If the keeper is making great saves why complain? I don't think you'd see a first-half like this in the PL as most away sides are so negative and scared of losing.

This needs a sentence on it's own. Mcky Gray is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. I never worry when he's in the team. He may not be the best but he'll give you all he's got every time.

Apologies to the rest who clearly didn't enjoy the first half. If we were so bad how come the crowd didn't resort to it's usal half-time, half-hearted booing? I had an excellent night, thoroughly entertained from start to finish, three goals including a Tugay classic that will live in the mind for many years. Bring on the Nancy boys, if you didn't get to Ewood last night get a ticket now for the next one.

Paul,

Clearly you and I were at the same match anyway - see my comments on page 12. The only area I would disagree would be in Gray's performance. I don't doubt that he gives all he's got - at this level though it's just not good enough.

some turnaround that!

thought basel were terrific, in the 1st half and by far the best team we've played this season. ergic and petric looked classy.

things changed dramatically and we dictated the play throughout the 2nd half, with nonda and tugay causing havoc.

tugay's goal was stunning, the control and strike couldnt have been better. what a player 'the maestro' has been, he's irreplaceable.

on a down-note, we look woefully short of numbers and quality in the midfield department- but with our abysmal gate receipts a top quality midfielder could be some time away!

congrats to MH and his staff. the euro curse has finally been lifted.

Edited by pleasure

Funny isnt it:

Nonda = Penalty.... miss

Benni = Penalty.... miss

Neil = Penalty..... miss

JEFFERS?!?!?! = Penalty..... SCORE!!! How does that make sense?!?!

It makes sense simply because Franny HIT the ******** thing!!! The others ALL stroked it. :ph34r:

By the way I think you meant to say Roberts, not Nonda didn't you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.