BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

:rover: SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL : LL SLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLELL :brfcsmilie:

:rover: SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL : LL SLL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELLELL :brfcsmilie:

Aye £1000 ono and its yours!

you don't blame the guy??

He's been out injured for months, we pay his wages, nurse him back to full fitness, then sparky decides that he has to wait a little longer to play him than he would have liked. So he spits his dummy out like a big girls blowse and hands ina transfer request.

As far as I'm concerned - players like that are the absolute worst, as they have no interest whatsoever in the TEAM. We've seen other players who have knuckled down and got on with their job and bided their time - but not for roberts.

I find it staggering that you and many others on here are defending Roberts and slating Benni.

If Benni's game was like roberts in terms of running + but he also possesed benni's skills - he wouldn't be playing for us - he'd be starring for man u, chelsea or liverpool.

Simple fact is - he's never been that type of player, but he is the playerwho can and does score. Give me this kind of striker anyday of the week.

A team is all about having players that compliment each other. If we have a side of grafters - we'll only ever be good enough for mid table medicrity.

All this nonsense about McCarthy not trying - is just nonsense. Sometimes it just go for you as a striker. The things you try don't come off. I imaghine you'll all be singing his name the next time he scores though!

I find the above post equally staggering.

Benni scored a lot of goals last season, fair enough, albeit in most games he tended to do bugger all then pop up out of nowhere and find the back of the net.

He obviously considered that those efforts were good enough to earn him a move to one of the big four" and spent the summer issuing "Come and get me" pleas to Chelsea via the media.

He started this season off OK in the intertoto then once the transfer window came and went without his dream move materialising he by his own admission went into a sulk, had to be dropped and offered one on one coaching.

He came back from that in good form for a few games, scored four goals but now looks completely disinterested again.

By way of contrast, Roberts isn't as technically gifted as McCarthy but seemingly has never failed to give 100% when on the pitch. It's not his fault he's been unlucky with injuries during his time here and I think he's been very harshly treated this season with BM in such dire form.

A fit and fully firing Benni McCarthy willl obviously always be better than a fit and fully firing Jason Roberts. However by the same token a Jason Roberts who isn't completely happy but by the same token is still prepared to give it 100% on the pitch in the meantime is infinitely preferable to a sulking Benni who is seemingly just waiting for the transfer window to come round again in the hope he gets his "dream move."

I find the above post equally staggering.

Benni scored a lot of goals last season, fair enough, albeit in most games he tended to do bugger all then pop up out of nowhere and find the back of the net.

He obviously considered that those efforts were good enough to earn him a move to one of the big four" and spent the summer issuing "Come and get me" pleas to Chelsea via the media.

He started this season off OK in the intertoto then once the transfer window came and went without his dream move materialising he by his own admission went into a sulk, had to be dropped and offered one on one coaching.

He came back from that in good form for a few games, scored four goals but now looks completely disinterested again.

By way of contrast, Roberts isn't as technically gifted as McCarthy but seemingly has never failed to give 100% when on the pitch. It's not his fault he's been unlucky with injuries during his time here and I think he's been very harshly treated this season with BM in such dire form.

A fit and fully firing Benni McCarthy willl obviously always be better than a fit and fully firing Jason Roberts. However by the same token a Jason Roberts who isn't completely happy but by the same token is still prepared to give it 100% on the pitch in the meantime is infinitely preferable to a sulking Benni who is seemingly just waiting for the transfer window to come round again in the hope he gets his "dream move."

Its all true that an interested Benni is far superior to Roberts in every way, except maybe workrate. The problem is that Benni doesnt seem to give a damn and when Roberts is on the field he looks like an excited dog, snapping at people and running around after the ball. This makes him look like he wants to play and that by proxi "could score".

My feeling is I would rather have Roberts WANT to score rather than Benni not give a toss and MAYBE score.

I think Roberts has a case to feel hard done by. However, he has been injured for the majority of this season (again).

He got his chance against Fulham (unexpectedly) and took it well. But I can still see why Hughes (and me personally as well) would want Santa/Benni for the Villa game, then the following games.

Roberts has just come to the conclusion that he will never start regularly for us. Which is fair enough on his part. But he would have got a fair chance in December/New Year and could have made it impossible (through his performaces) for Hughes not to pick him.

I can understand it from his point of view, but slapping a transfer request is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction.

Madness. Utter madness.

I think you misunderstand me a little there, or I did not make myself clear. I would of course want a fully functional Benni playing for us rather than Roberts running around Savagesc. At the present time with him in a downer I would rather have Roberts trying his best. Do you understand me? I am not full of hate for Benni I just want what is best for the team.

I don't get where people get this idea from that Benni doesn't want to score or play, but Roberts does. Please remind me which one of them recently handed in a transfer request? Simply because a player isn't playing well doesn't mean he doesn't care. Rovers fans seem to struggle with that unless they have become total favourites (perfect examples in the current side being Warnock and Samba).

Eddie - I can see why you are backing up McCarthy so much. However, I think there is a bit too much bum licking going on.

For example, did you question his effort earlier this season, when he said his head was messed up and his 'heart and soul' was not in our club.

Who is to say his head is not messed up again at this moment in time (or for the past month or so).

For me, there is no spark in his play the moment. There is something not right, and with Benni, it is a mental thing.

Edited by John

I'd definitely say that McCarthy's work rrate has increased from last season's . What irritates the fans are his over-elaborating when he has the ball , silly flicks and the likes . More often than not the simple ball is the right ball . Dunn is making this mistake more and more often these days as well .....

Just thought I would point out how totally irrational some of this hostility towards McCarthy is. Strikers are bought and paid to score goals. Here are some comparisons of goals to games Rovers career stats-

Roberts 7/37

Stead 8/42

Santa Cruz 11/23

Derbyshire 12/42

Bellamy 13/27

Dickov 14/50

Speedie 23/36

Cole 27/83

McCarthy 32/65

Jansen 44/153

Sutton 50/131

Shearer 112/138

Garner 168/484

Interestingly, Bellamy, Speedie, Sutton, Shearer and now already Santa Cruz were/are in by far the most productive scoring form of their careers when at Blackburn Rovers.

Benni on the other hand has maintained a high consistency throughout his career other than at Celta Vigo-

Ajax 20/35 (one Championship)

Porto 57/129 (two Championships, three Cups, one UEFA Cup, one Champions League, one World Club Cup)

and he is South Africa's all time highest scorer and has scored in two World Cup Finals campaigns.

When he's gone we will look back and think wow, Benni played for us.

Edited by philipl

I don't think the majority are saying he has not done well in his time here.

Personally I think he is a top quality striker.

However, earlier in the season he admitted it himself that his heart was not in the club. Then he got a kick up the a*se from Hughes. Following that he had a spark in his play, but seems to have stagnated again lately.

Of course, there are other reasons behind his slump, but Hughes public comments on his form suggest something is up.

Edited by John

McCarthy / Roberts.......... Roberts / McCarthy... Very few appear to have grasped the subtleties behind the fact that RSC has dislodged the pair of them. Benni is unlikely to score as many as last year when he is not 'up top' as he was last year but is now playing a more supporting role (frequently too deep). Roberts too has usually played up front on his own for Wigan. All of a sudden because of the input of RSC they are not in their favoured positions, are no longer 'the main man' and are not scoring or enjoying their football as much. The fact that they have had their noses pushed out of joint and are losing confidence / sulking now becomes a little more understandable.

We have seen this before. Rem Sutton's first season? He started off 'up top' with Shearer in support and scored plenty (... more than AS btw) but by about Nov for whatever reason they had reversed positions and Shearer was far more prolific with Sutton's goals drying up as his scoring opportunities were reduced. He coped with it but it looks like BM and JR are struggling to accept the change.

Edited by thenodrog

If you have a decent midfield you can play two up top. Its called 4-4-2 or SAS as Blackburn folk fondly remember. As it is, Benni is having to drop back to bloster the midfield. In the box, you are going to get crowded and robbed anyway so a 25% success rate for flicks creates havoc and are appreciated. Playing flicks with 25% success rate on the half way line is a different matter.

Edited by philipl

Guest WestSussexTombo

Dont understand the logic, Benni lacking confidence and has been for a long while. However he is selected.

Roberts has shown he can play to a high level, and has been more succesful this season when he has played, however he isnt selected...

Very confusing...

This is obviously turning into a black or white issue for most posters with no shades of grey inbetween. Obviously for some posters such as Eddie and philip McCarthy can do no wrong no matter how obvious it is to the majority who actually attend the games that there is something seriously amiss with his form and attitude this season. Dragging his Rovers career stats out (which are primarily based on last season) paints an extremely misleading picture.

I think it's fair to say a lot of others, myself included, find it fairly hard to warm to his style of play, but are prepared to overlook it if he's finding the net on a reasonably consistent basis.

Watching him the other night against Arsenal I was reminded of the old saying that you don't worry too much about your strikers missing a hatful of chances if they're getting into the positions to miss them in the first place. Sooner or later it will come good.

Benni hasn't even been getting into any positions from which it would be possible to score over the last seven or eight games, but did at least manage that against Arsenal which represents a vast improvement on his efforts previous to that.

So, we should sell Benni, Samba (poor form in recent matches), all the centre midfield (very poor)...

And RSC if he stops scoring for 5 games :rolleyes:

Yeah and Hughes should go too. In fact Reid has been nothing but rubbish in every start he's had in the last 16 months - he can go too.

Form is temporary, class is permament.

Unfortunately in MGP's case his form is pemanently crap.

This is obviously turning into a black or white issue for most posters with no shades of grey inbetween. Obviously for some posters such as Eddie and philip McCarthy can do no wrong no matter how obvious it is to the majority who actually attend the games that there is something seriously amiss with his form and attitude this season. Dragging his Rovers career stats out (which are primarily based on last season) paints an extremely misleading picture.

It appears to be pretty black or white for you too. I don't think Benni can do no wrong, he's been poor this season for the most part, but I don't think that's because he doesn't care and I don't think he should be sold. For me he still remains one of our best players, our best goalscorer and a player who we would be very foolish to let go unless we got a very big bid for him and had a good replacement lined up. Why can't a player just be out of form? It happens to everyone, but for some reason with Benni it means he's causing trouble. He's not playing well and on top of that he's scoring fewer goals because we aren't creating as many chances as the team isn't playing well. It's really quite simple to me, but for some reason people seem to be getting themselves worked up and are intent on blaming it on attitude. Also, say what you like, but I don't have any problems with his work ethic. He doesn't run as much as Dickov or Roque, but that isn't really his job. He really does quite a lot of running, but it seems to be overlooked by most on here.

Of course, I don't go to matches and maybe they edit the tv coverage so that he moves around the pitch.

Eddie - please explain his comments earlier in the season when he said his head was turned by Chelsea's interest. Additionally, he said he was not focused, and that his heart and soul was not in our club.

He said it himself for f**ks sake.

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.