BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Jesus.

Selling Benni would be madness, we'll never get a replacement as good as him.

That's entirely dependent on how much we would get for him if we were to sell.

We'd struggle to replace him for the 2.5m we paid for him certainly, but I would be surprised if Sparky couldn't find someone better and younger for 8-10m say.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

A younger than 30 year old goal every other game man for £8m to £10m on £40K a week?

This is my list of potential candidates Rovers should pursue:

Very witty, :rolleyes: but the Benni of this season is not the one we had last season.

Personally I'd be tempted to cash in IF (and it's a big if) the price is right and there's a suitable replacement out there somewhere.

Very witty, :rolleyes: but the Benni of this season is not the one we had last season.

Personally I'd be tempted to cash in IF (and it's a big if) the price is right and there's a suitable replacement out there somewhere.

To be fair though Rev, that would apply to any player at the club. Depends what you mean by suitable.

Neither is Berbatov; the second season is normally difficult for strikers because they get a lot more attention from the opposition's defenders. Benni hasn't been scoring as many this season but I'm sure he'll total 12-15 league goals come end of May.

McCarthy made no secret of the fact that he was joining Rovers with the intention of impressing one of the so-called big 4 clubs that he was Premiership quality. He was last season's top scorer outside the top 4 and probably expected to be snapped up last summer. Mourinho has left Chelsea, Santa Cruz has joined Rovers, and all of a sudden Benni isnt the main issue. His primary motivation has gone and he needs to get his head around the fact that success doesnt have to mean joining another (richer, more successful) club. He needs to play his heart out for the club who showed faith in him - we know he has the ability - and stop sulking!

He's still our top scorer with Santa Cruz inexplicably goal shy after his impressive start, so its vital Benni refinds last season's form and ensures its his goals which allow us to challenge for a top 4 finish at the end of the season.

And should we sell him? You must be joking! NO!

Edited by The Harwood Yankee

It turns out that Benni was in the stadium at the end of the match, but had dressed and gone up to watch the end of the game. He was also playing with 14 stitches in his leg. After his poor start to the season, he's been playing really well and I don't understand why anyone would want him to move.

It turns out that Benni was in the stadium at the end of the match, but had dressed and gone up to watch the end of the game. He was also playing with 14 stitches in his leg. After his poor start to the season, he's been playing really well and I don't understand why anyone would want him to move.

Because people find it hard to warm to him because he's "lazy". So they make up absolute ###### to support their case. Which gets picked up and reported and we end up having to deny it.

Meanwhile the perennially stupid think "there's no smoke without fire" or in their lingo "the lazy barsteward wants to leave" which will become a self-fulfilling prophecy because they start to get on his back at every opportunity.

Because people find it hard to warm to him because he's "lazy". So they make up absolute ###### to support their case. Which gets picked up and reported and we end up having to deny it.

Meanwhile the perennially stupid think "there's no smoke without fire" or in their lingo "the lazy barsteward wants to leave" which will become a self-fulfilling prophecy because they start to get on his back at every opportunity.

Remember that next time you think about posting comments on Pedersen :blush:

McCarthy made no secret of the fact that he was joining Rovers with the intention of impressing one of the so-called big 4 clubs that he was Premiership quality.

That's just plain untrue. I remember translating an interview for the Norwegian supporters club BRSCN, where Benni talked about Blackburn as the club who wanted him the most, and at 29 he no longer had the ambitions of signing for one of the big clubs. That quote changed when Mourinho needed a striker, but initially he actually said the direct opposite of what you're saying.

How do you know this by the way, Daren?

Some of you have no idea what is in the best interest of the club.

And you do? You talk utter @#/?.

That penalty yesterday summed him up - a half arsed attempt, under hit and put in the same place he always puts it. If he doesn't want to be here then get rid - end of.

A player not putting in 100% every week, doing fancy flicks at the wrong time and in the wrong area of the pitch, leaving the ground before the final whistle because he's been subbed - it's in the best interests of the club to get shut as far as I'm concerned and cash in. I don't care how much bloody skill he has - it means nothing if he can't be bothered to add a bit of graft to it as well.

As for that crap you've written in the Hughes out thread. "He looks like a manager out of ideas" What was the view of the dug out like from Paris? What do you want, a badge? "I said it first, it was me this time not rover6 - Hughes must go". Pathetic.

Get rid of those who don't want to be here - let them go elsewhere - I'd suggest in most instances they'll be going to a lesser club but then again I suppose some of them want regular first team football.

sell sell sell keep big jase and sell the lazy im to good for rovers benni

i dont how roberts is better than mccarthy in any way, ant btw has roberts not said he wants to go? humm keep the ones who want to stay! well thats not roberts

That penalty yesterday summed him up - a half arsed attempt, under hit and put in the same place he always puts it. If he doesn't want to be here then get rid - end of.

A player not putting in 100% every week, doing fancy flicks at the wrong time and in the wrong area of the pitch, leaving the ground before the final whistle because he's been subbed - it's in the best interests of the club to get shut as far as I'm concerned and cash in. I don't care how much bloody skill he has - it means nothing if he can't be bothered to add a bit of graft to it as well.

As for that crap you've written in the Hughes out thread. "He looks like a manager out of ideas" What was the view of the dug out like from Paris? What do you want, a badge? "I said it first, it was me this time not rover6 - Hughes must go". Pathetic.

Get rid of those who don't want to be here - let them go elsewhere - I'd suggest in most instances they'll be going to a lesser club but then again I suppose some of them want regular first team football.

mccarthy scored 18 goals in the league last season and as soon as he isnt playing so well u all slate him, hes a good palyer and has done great for us! but the hughes thing is stupid he a great young manager who has shown it time after time.

There is nothing to say that Benni doesn't want to be here at the moment. Oddly enough the only forward who has actually stated that he wants to leave, and by that I mean Jason Roberts, is a player most are calling for to be in the side (rightly in my opinion). The penalty wasn't a half arsed attempt, I don't even see why someone who didn't want to be here would have a "half arsed" penalty, doesn't make sense, it's the easiest thing he will have done all day. He simply scuffed it and the keeper went the right way, had the keeper gone the wrong way it would have looked like a decent penalty as it was in the bottom corner. He doesn't always go the same way, he either goes that way or reverses his foot at the last moment and pushes it to the bottom left (keeper's side), but you are right he does generally keep them low, which is really what most people are taught and told to do.

As for not adding graft, he adds a lot of graft in my opinion. He drops back into midfield, which is tactically wrong, but he does it because he is trying to get on the ball. The easy option would be to stand up front waiting for it to come to him, but that isn't what he does. When the team is playing well Benni is magnificent, unfortunately for him his style of play doesn't fit in well with a team that is totally out of sorts and struggling to put two or three passes together. Santa Cruz still does ok, although not nearly as well when the team were in good form, because his size allows him to be something of a target man and hold it up, Benni can't really do that against defenders who are generally bigger than him.

His flicks and tricks are a part of his game, he doesn't do them in dangerous areas. Sometimes they don't come off, but if you want the piece of great skill (for example the good flick that put Santa Cruz through on goal against Newcastle the other week), then you are going to have to accept that sometimes they won't work and he'll give the ball away, it is true for any player who doesn't simply get it and pass it.

Benni is the best goalscorer we've had at this club since Shearer, by a mile as well. His technical skill on the ball is probably the best I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt and he is amongst the most skilled in the league. Now as I have said on other threads, it is easy to single out individual players and place blame there, but really the problems we are having at the moment are down to the entire team (although mostly the defense). I don't see why people are up in arms about McCarthy not playing well, yet very little criticism has been aimed at someone like Warnock, who gave the ball away on the edge of the area at 3-3.

As for what I've said in the Hughes thread, it is based on what I have seen from seeing the full match on tv. You're right, I didn't look at Hughes for 90 minutes, but the camera actually cut to him every couple of minutes. If someone who was there says that he was very active on the touchline then I'll believe them, but from what I've read and from people I have spoken to it actually seems like a few have commented on the fact that he seemed somewhat resigned on the bench. If you read what I wrote you will actually have seen that I didn't call for Hughes out, as for my comment about being there first, it was simply that for the last year or so I've taken quite a lot of flack from people for saying that I haven't been totally comfortable with our team, particularly the massive gap that we have in the centre midifeld. Now the majority seem to be catching on, sadly Hughes has been the slowest in this respect and it is his opinion that matters most.

If you don't agree with me, say it, but don't go down this personal line that you and so many others seem unable to avoid when disagreeing with someone on here. Or should I agree with you and then you'll like me? You're right, don't question Hughes, best manager we've ever had and things are perfect...while we're at it, let's sell the second top goalscorer from the premiership last year.

Just read the Hughes thread and imo you are in that group eddie.

I don't want Hughes to go, I simply think we are in a big trouble at the moment and it will be a big test for him. If he passes it then he will have shown he really has what it takes, if he fails then he will just be another manager like Souness or Reid who have put a side together that has done well for a season or two and then not been able to deal with it when things have stopped working. It's not a call for him to go.

I haven't been to a game this season, but I have seen every full game on TV. I know it isn't the same, I know it means I only see him when the camera is on him, but seeing as the cameras they use that are shown here are generally quite a wide view I can see him for probably 55-60% of the game. I don't think he's lazy, it's an easy tag to put on him though.

Wow, Bob - never seen you like this! Fully agree though. Yesterday really got to me and I doubt there will be many who actually did make to the game yesterday, in the flesh, that will say he deserves his place in the first eleven.

His contribution to the team is minimal and there have been too many reports of tantrums to be able to say they have no foundation - no smoke without fire.

He wasn't the only underacheiver yesterday but he sure as hell stood out head and shoulders above everyone else as overpaid and disinterested.

Unquestionably a fantastic player with lots of talent, but he just doesn't want to play for us and we can't afford to have him undermine our challenge for Europe. It is crystal clear there are problems in the camp (which Nicko mentioned a week or two back), and yesterdays atrocious outing hurt. I mean really hurt - the worst I have ever felt when watching Rovers including relegation.

Shall we just wait until we are in a relegation scrap before questioning his commitment or hold out until we are in the Championship? Sorry Benni, but if you don't have the professionalism to give 100%, then it's time to go. Feel free to proove us wrong.

Meanwhile, Roberts is not a better player than Benni, but I think if he is told Benni is going and he will get his chance, he will stay. Roberts is the type of player who will dig in and that's the type we need, now. Don't forget he is the player that gave us hope in the Semi's at Old Trafford...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.