BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

McCarthy was sensational in the second half on Sunday, and you have to say that, if that is the standard he is capable of in terms of both the effort he put in and his all round play, he has been shortchanging us all during his first season and a bit at Ewood.

Hope he can keep that up and the decision to leave him out entirely vindicated.

McCarthy was sensational in the second half on Sunday, and you have to say that, if that is the standard he is capable of in terms of both the effort he put in and his all round play, he has been shortchanging us all during his first season and a bit at Ewood.

Hope he can keep that up and the decision to leave him out entirely vindicated.

Rev - he was second in the scoring charts to a 30 million quid freak in the Chelsea circus last season!

That kind of achievement comes with maximum effort and superb all round play.

Nobody has been short changed - but some people need to realise that there is only one Alan Shearer, and for the rest of our Rovers supporting lives we will have to make to with the best we can get.

19 other PL clubs would love to have been "shortchanged" by Benni last season.

Rev - he was second in the scoring charts to a 30 million quid freak in the Chelsea circus last season!

Nobody has been short changed - but some people need to realise that there is only one Alan Shearer, and for the rest of our Rovers supporting lives we will have to make to with the best we can get.

We always need to realise,there'll only ever be one Simon Garner.

Shearer was good,don't get me wrong,but Garner was one of the lads.

Edited by ewoodblue

Come on Tris, be fair.

We all know the truth, Benni has a hard act to follow.

Most fans would prefer a work horse like Dickov, than a player, who can actually control a ball, without falling on his backside. ;)

If Benni learnt some sort of goal celibration, like a belly flop, then maybe his 20 goals last season would be concidered worthwhile. :tu:

Can't agree with any of that in the slightest Tris.

The McCarthy that played on Sunday (albeit for 45 minutes only) looked a totally different animal to the one that played most of last season, eighteen league goals or not.

i.e. even in the games he scored, doing nothing for most of the game, popping up out of nowhere to register, then considering his work for the afternoon done.

If he had played like on Sunday throughout last season then there's every chance he would have increased his already impressive goals tally quite substantially.

The comparison with Shearer is a completely erroneous one. Santa Cruz will never be another Shearer in terms of his goalscoring either, but I doubt you will hear a single person complaining about his contribution as long as he keeps up his current phenomenal work rate. :)

We always need to realise,there'll only ever be one Simon Garner.

Shearer was good,don't get me wrong,but Garner was one of the lads.

:lol:

Yeah - depends what you're looking for!

Garner = right bloke in the right place at the right time, and will never be forgotten.

If you're looking for "one of the lads" on those terms - probably the closest match is Paul Gallagher - as "local" as Garner but from the other direction, and never fazed by mixing with the fans when maybe he should have known better.

And not good enough for the level the club has moved up to.

A little noticed fact but Benni has scored 20 in 42 Premiership starts now.

That career goal to game ratio is probably ahead of everyone except perhaps Andy Cole and Van Persie amongst the players currently registered in the Premier League.

I think Rev is fighting a losing battle with his line of argument. That said, won't it be fun if Hughes has found the formula to get Benni to produce a Brum second half type of performance most games he plays now (preferably not on a repeating three games dropped, second half blast basis!)?

Edited by philipl

This is boring now.

Who's trying to prove what? The fact is McCarthy is a top player, and if he left it would be for a bigger and better club than us, and would leave for more money than we signed him for, and would leave us short of 15-20 league goals.

So what's the discussion? The usual brigade who think they are personally owed blood each week just because they turn up. Get a life fellas end enjoy the good times, the harsh reality of the way football is going suggests in a decade or so you'll be wishing for Dickov due to the level clubs like Rovers will be forced to play at.

I think Rev is fighting a losing battle with his line of argument. That said, won't it be fun if Hughes has found the formula to get Benni to produce a Brum second half type of performance most games he plays now (preferably not on a repeating three games dropped, second half blast basis!)?

He's not fighting a battle philipl , just stating the point that what alot of us got lambasted for, for having the insight to question his attitude and not be blinded by the goals, although welcome.

Not once have I or any other critic said he had to run around like a madman, this was just brought up by those who thought he could do nothing wrong.

Only Tris has raised good points previously for us critics as he has above , to which I have counter replied with explanation as have others.

What Hughes is doing/has done is only what some of us suggested, and by the look of his second half performance on Sunday and his previous sub appearance, would appear to be doing the trick. :tu:

If Benni learnt some sort of goal celibration, like a belly flop, then maybe his 20 goals last season would be concidered worthwhile. :tu:

Hmmm thats a tough one Alan. A 20 goal McCarthy with a laid back celebration or a 7 goal Kuqi with a belly flop. :rover:

Just to add to that I rem Bellamy hardly bothering to celebrate whenever he scored. The prob with spectators and McCarthy is that if he doesn't score he appears to contribute little else to the team. But a strike rate of 20 goals in 40 Prem games is something that most other clubs would have on their wish list.

Interestingly how envious must MU be when they see the quality of RSC signed for just 3.5m when their only equivalent is a sick note?

My mte's a City fan and is gutted that they missed out on Santa Cruz.

As for Benni, 20 goals in 42 games and people question that he doesn't work hard enough!!!

Well he's working hard enough to get into those positions and bang in the goals. that's good enough for me.

We have been crying out for a 20 goals a season striker for years, the first time we have one in about 10 years and people are moaning about it.

As for Benni, 20 goals in 42 games and people question that he doesn't work hard enough!!!

Mark Hughes obviously thought he wasn't working hard enough, that's why he was dropped!!!! (twice!!!!!)

I trust you will direct a similar level of derision at him.

Everybody needs a kick up the arse every so often and Benni Mac will be no exception, but it seems timely to remind all (and especially when taking Ped, Tugay and Bentley into the equation this season) that form is temporary whilst class is permanent.

btw ..... the only exception to that rule (and there has to be one) is Brad Freidal. Daft now but I rem an anti Brad thread on here not too long ago! (Luke 23:34) Anybody care to resurrect it ...lest we forget?

Edited by thenodrog

The best thing was that Benni was clearly enjoying himself. Even in the warm-up he had a wide grin on his face and was bantering with the lads.

Just wish they didn't all have to traipse off on the wretched internationals again :angry:

Well he's working hard enough to get into those positions and bang in the goals. that's good enough for me.

We have been crying out for a 20 goals a season striker for years, the first time we have one in about 10 years and people are moaning about it.

Everyone can always work harder. Clearly Benni has it in him to move up a gear and you have to applaud Hughes in encouraging him to do it.

Sparky is no mug, neither are most of the fans. McCarthy was very poor over the last three games he played in before Sunderland and deserved to be dropped. He has now come back showing real quality and determined and willing to put the effort in his all round game. We need to pick our best team each week and I suppose the Benni who turned up on Sunday would be first name- along with the two centreback, Freidal and Cruz - on the teamsheet. The one who turned out at Everton and Chelsea would not make the XI as a 451 seems more effective than carrying a forward uninterested in getting involved, despite his outstanding finishing.

Essentially Benni knows he has to fight for his place, and to his credit he is doing so very impressively. Him and Cruz could form an outstanding partnership.

Well,lets just hope his bad attitude provides us with the 20 goals we crave.Personally I'm not interested in what he did last season,it's past,all I care about is this season,and one decent2nd half performance doesn't convince me that McCarthy as changed.

I want to see a striker who's consistent week in week out,and one who's heart's with the Rovers,and not trying to put hiself in a shop window so he can shaft us later on.

I need to trust Benni McCarthy,and at the moment there's a little part of me that's a little unsure about where is loyalties lie.

Okay we'd all like to see our strikers chasing balls down like Dickov. Trouble is a striker with Benni's skill and flair combined with a Dickov-like work ethic would be way out of our price-range.

It's not 1994 anymore, we're not in the Champions League so we get arte or labore, not both.

I'm still very happy that Benni's a Rover!

Can't see for the life of me why people criticise Benni for last season's efforts. I thought he was superb throughout and looked like a genuine class striker. He hasn't started as well this year but I think he deserves a chance to get back to his best. he was great though on Sunday. I find it quite distressing that we actually get a real top class player and everyone starts slagging him off, its bizare.

I want to see a striker who's consistent week in week out,and one who's heart's with the Rovers,and not trying to put hiself in a shop window so he can shaft us later on.

I cannot think of any centre forward at any club in the entire Prem League that that would apply to. You need to take a reallity check.

As the second top goalscorer last year surely that makes him the second most consistent striker in the league?

As the second top goalscorer last year surely that makes him the second most consistent striker in the league?

I'm on about this season,Eddie.

So,if Benni goes another 2 months without scoring,then it's ok,because he had a good season previous to this campaign.

How many goals this season ,Eddie.

Everybody needs a kick up the arse every so often and Benni Mac will be no exception, but it seems timely to remind all (and especially when taking Ped, Tugay and Bentley into the equation this season) that form is temporary whilst class is permanent.

btw ..... the only exception to that rule (and there has to be one) is Brad Freidal. Daft now but I rem an anti Brad thread on here not too long ago! (Luke 23:34) Anybody care to resurrect it ...lest we forget?

Very good that Theno. I am sure He will if they ask sincerely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.