BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Hughes isn't above dropping him as was saw last season.

If you drop Benni you potentially have to drop half the team that played yesterday! Tough decision.

Yep, that's the problem. You couldn't tell Benni he'd been dropped because of poor form and not drop MGP and Bentley at the same time. Can we really afford to do that? I think all three deserve a little bit of time now to show what they are made of, then drop them if they don't start performing.

Hard to call Bruno Berner a mistake. He's a back-up left back who's never had a real chance to show us what he can do. To my mind the only really poorish signing Hughes has made is Ooijer. I think he's a good player, but at his age that was not a good price.

The way Pompey play, this is a fixture Benni should thrive in.

Why are the Pompey defenders stationary? that way Benni does not actually have to run after the ball Or do they hold a straight line on their six yard box so he can stay on side?

Hard to call Bruno Berner a mistake. He's a back-up left back who's never had a real chance to show us what he can do. To my mind the only really poorish signing Hughes has made is Ooijer. I think he's a good player, but at his age that was not a good price.

I like Ooijer, despite his age. The only poor Hughes signings are Djorkaeff and Jeffers - and they were free :rolleyes:

On McCarthy, I think Roberts or Derbyshire should be given a start on Sunday - at least they will be playing for a place.

Well I'd give McCarthy a start and see how he acts . If he's not up to scratch then Derbs or Roberts must be given a decent run out early in the match .

This debacle was typical of Rovers - on the back of a run of good results they floated about like fairies , humped the long ball up and generally didn't pass and run enough . They were all guilty and maybe if Hughes had his time again he wouldn't have played the front two he did . Tugay should start in the Euro games for sure ; I wonder how he'd play with Dunn in the middle ....

Still , if nothing else , it'll make for a cracking game in the second leg . This is the time for the public to respond and get behind the boys .

I think Benni is an easy target. It makes everyone feel better to say that because of him we aren't scoring goals and aren't maintaining pressure. The real problem is that we aren't doing enough with the ball and we aren't creating chances. We don't seem to know what we are doing and we can't even play to our own strengths. Benni missed a chance today that he normally would have taken, although it wasn't exactly easy, so in some respects he is to blame, but that doesn't explain the following 80 or so minutes where we were pretty much hopeless.

the way he went straight down the tunnel was an insult to mark hughes,the players and the fans...disgusting.

Do you think Benni is upset at the moment that his hero Mourinho has gone from Chelsea and so there's little chance of him getting a "dream move" to Stamford Bridge in January. Or was he just being a stroppy mard arse ?

Either way, I've been very disappointed with Benni since the 0-0 draw with Chelsea at the Bridge. As Tim Sherwood rightly says, McCarthy hasn't looked interested. For a professional footballer on a multi-million pound contract with us, that is not acceptable.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Benni on here, but thought he had an ok game upto his substitution yesterday - but have to agree with Abbey on his straight down the tunnel exit. - also think Hughesy needs to explain the principle of the offside to him.

As Eddie states we just don't appear to know what to do with ball.

On top of that we need to cut out the defensive mistakes we keep making.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

I thought Benni did well yesterday. He came looking for the ball and tried to make things happen and to be fair put in a decent amount of work, going into midfield and the wings looking for the ball. Though Matty should have come on for MGP and left Benni on.

Though the booing both of Pedersen and at full time was well out of order. MGP put in a lot of work as did the team but things didn;t run for them.

I thought Benni did well yesterday. He came looking for the ball and tried to make things happen and to be fair put in a decent amount of work, going into midfield and the wings looking for the ball. Though Matty should have come on for MGP and left Benni on.

Though the booing both of Pedersen and at full time was well out of order. MGP put in a lot of work as did the team but things didn;t run for them.

MGP was gabbage yesterday and has been so far this season. if we had another left winger challenging him, he would be dropped, his crossing was dire, he could not wait to get rid of the ball, which to me means he's lacking on confidence.

As for Benni, he just does not seen the same player, has he was last season, which i don't why, he's playing way to deep and needs to play further up along side Cruz

MGP was gabbage yesterday and has been so far this season. if we had another left winger challenging him, he would be dropped, his crossing was dire, he could not wait to get rid of the ball, which to me means he's lacking on confidence.

As for Benni, he just does not seen the same player, has he was last season, which i don't why, he's playing way to deep and needs to play further up along side Cruz

I agree MGP was poor yesterday and should be dropped if possible, but IMO he still put effort in so no need to boo him.

I agree MGP was poor yesterday and should be dropped if possible, but IMO he still put effort in so no need to boo him.

i don't think he did put the effort in yesterday, which is not normal like him, he was just happy to sit back and let Warnock push on the wing. For the booing yes it maybe a bit harsh, but if he keeps up with that level of preformance every week, i will be booing him as well.

He had a spell like this last season too. I think when he feels we aren't playing well he drops back to try and become more involved in the play, which actually just means that he can't be where he should be and it hurts us. As soon as our game starts flowing like it did towards the end of last season he pushes further up the pitch.

Tough to call offsides to favour the attacker. This should help Benni, marginally.

No, it won't Benni's usually so far offside that there's never any doubt as to whether he is or isn't!

If they've brought in a rule that 'dodgy goals' count it'll just mean that the big boys (mainly Man United) score 20 more goals this season that would otherwise be allowed. We'll find that the rule hasn't changed at all for us.

It possible that they've only said this so that the awful 'John Terry blocking the keepers vision' incident is somehow justified. They did something similar when RVN was wandering offside all over the shop for Man U and still getting goals allowed, if you recall. Allardyce and Strachan started having players offside 'not affecting play' outside of the keepers vision and things of that ilk, which I thought was genius. It made a mockery of a stupid 'rule' (interpretation?) that had just been brought it to cover up refereeing inadequacies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.