BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Even by your standards that is a stupid post.

Unlike someone attempting to pick an arguement, in my opinion. apart from the lack of paragraphs, I'd say it was a well thought out and constructive post.

And yes I remember Radford, to think he was a big signing for us in them days.

Edited by Alan75

I wasn't trying to pick an arguement, but I don't think that anyone saying that racial stereotypes are somewhat correct and a natural justified human condition doesn't deserve much of a response in my opinion. I actually find his post to be extremely ignorant and potentially insulting.

Even by your standards that is a stupid post.

Coming from our very own Walter Mitty and accepting the standards set in your own posting history, as well as the obvious lack of constructive criticism I can do little else but take that as a compliment eddie. I thank you. :tu:

Yes Theno, I do remember John Radford arriving at Ewood and the sense of excitement and anticipation which that produced in most Rovers fans. "Big name player, used to play for Arsenal, coming to little old Blackburn Rovers, whatever next?"

Unfortunately the reallity turned out somewhat differently. Not that he was a bad player, more that he (to put it in the venacular) "couldn't be arsed".

Edited by Fife Rover

Some players put in more effort than other players.

I might legitimately call someone a lazy b******.

My neighbour might call the same player lazy black b*******. It would also be true but would also betray his racist tendancies.

What matters here (from Jans viewpoint) is not whether the player is lazy or not, but whether the people criticising are racist. If they have not made any refrence to race in their criticism then how can it be racist?? There are many racists out there, and many others (myself included) with prejudices of those "outside our group" but Jan is making wild presumptions in this case.

BTW my own view is that:

Cole - had a bit of a personality problem that sometimes meant he sulked and didnt give all that he could.

Yorke - after winning the treble couldnt be bothered anymore and just wanted to have a laugh (although he is the most naturally gifted player I have seen in a Rovers shirt)

McCarthy - sometimes his flicks dont work but when they do its great. Still feel there may be a little something lurking in his subconscious following all the summer speculation.

Dickov - extremely hard working making the absolute maxiumum of his ability

Ward - hard working but with no talent

Ferguson - not hard working, who knows if he had any real talent?

MGP - cant be lazy as covers more ground than 99% players in prem. Just frustrating with his inconsistency.

Edited by Damage

I might legitimately call someone a lazy b******.

My neighbour might call the same player lazy black b*******. It would also be true but would also betray his racist tendancies.

WTF has this got to do with this thread?

It's never been mentioned there has been any racial name calling.

Nash took the Rovers left back out....not De Vita...

Judge is a decent player, can go past players with ease at reserve level, so I'd like to see him knocking on't door soon. Rigters is a lazy player. Only decided to pull his finger out late on. To be fair, he did look decent when he decided to play. Although, it was against Fitz Hall.!!.. :tu:

Oh Dear, Sparky has done it in another thread. Call the PC police.

Jan's attempts at proving the racism angle were laughable. Theno's ramblings were on message for him but didn't help Jan any nor did it make sense in replying to this particular discussion.

Benni McCarthy is class, his work rate is monitored on Prozone, the manager looks at it and makes his own conclusions. I seem to remember last season Benni saying he runs more now than he ever did, imagine that.

First team Regulars, my opinion;

Most hard working player in last 5 years = Robbie Savage

Least hard working player in last 5 years = Dwight Yorke

Most talented player in last 5 years = Benni Mc

Least talented player in last 5 years = Paul Dickov

Best value for money in last 5 years = Ryan Nelson

Least value for money in last 5 years = Barry Ferg.

Hardest Rovers player in last 5 years = Andy Todd

Softest Rovers player in last 5 years = Robbie Savage

You can go on on.... 80% of people will disagree with the above, its only opinion - I think someone is reading far too much into it.

My opinion of Benni is that he can do it when he wants too but sometimes he can be in and out of a game like Gamst. Benni is never going to work all gong ho like Dickov and chase everyball, because Bennis job is being in the right place at the right time and scoring. Hes a fans favorite and one of mine and i always chant his name. If Benni did go all Dickov would he be in the right positions to score and would he score more or less goals? Last season we wouldnt have finished 10th without BENNI and we wouldnt be in Europe without him.

He cost us 2.5 mill and he has to be one of the bargains of the decade, all footballers have strengths and weaknesses, youve just got to focus on your strengths.

Now before anybody jumps to conclusions and blows their self-righteous, highly indignant fuses compare this to the equally racist attitude towards red heads. Just as black people get tagged lazy, then ginners are usually stereotyped as being quick tempered and fiery despite very many being the opposite.

Ginger people aren't a race theno, it's a bleeding hair colour. They're no more a race than people with mousy hair, grey hair, dark hair, blonde hair, big noses, large feet, sharp finger-nails...need I go on? Ginger people have never been forced into slavery or segrated because of how they look. At worst what you mentioned is a stereotype, like all short men are angry, all people with glasses are geeks and anyone who likes football is a hooligan. It's not racism FFS, or anything close to it. And what's more annoying is you damn well that it's not, it's just controversial for the sake of argument.

You do make some very good points sometimes theno, but when you sprinkle in ###### like that then it just undermines it completely.

Edited by LeChuck

I guess we should just stop being critical of players if they are black. In fact lets just stop criticising all Rovers players full stop.

Just keep paying your money and put up with any cr@p performance.

If we happen to get relegated, we'll wave them a harty goodbye as they pack their bags and we pick up the pieces.

What's really ironic is that Dwight Yorke was one of our fittest players at the time. Obviously he conserved his energy for the beep tests.

i watched the season video from 02/03 the other night, and while i also remember being frustrated with yorke....id forgotten some of the nice play he contributed that season...his best as a rover.

Ginger people aren't a race theno, it's a bleeding hair colour. They're no more a race than people with mousy hair, grey hair, dark hair, blonde hair, big noses, large feet, sharp finger-nails...need I go on? Ginger people have never been forced into slavery or segrated because of how they look. At worst what you mentioned is a stereotype, like all short men are angry, all people with glasses are geeks and anyone who likes football is a hooligan. It's not racism FFS, or anything close to it. And what's more annoying is you damn well that it's not, it's just controversial for the sake of argument.

Sorry you are quite correct. I have now amended the word 'racist' to the more accurate and relevent term 'colour prejudiced'. I thank you for pointing out my error. It's not easy writing that depth of post so late at night without making the odd unenforced error you know.

Edited by thenodrog

I said at the end of last season that McCarthy has got the old problem that he appears to put in subdued effort and can often go through games contributing very little. However his finishing is exceptional and he scores goals. If the goals dry up for a substantial length of time then we have a problem. However we're only 5 weeks into the season so let's see what happens. He, along with MGP and to some extent Bentley, haven't caught fire yet this season. The fact that we're still unbeaten is a testament to how good a side we have now. Benni had a quiet spell at the turn of the year only scoring once in the league after New years day until early March. However he hit 8 more from March to the season end. People are just worried over whether he is trying to play his way out of the club following his silly comments over the summer. If he is then Hughes has the players on the bench to be able to bomb him out until January. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

Was Jay Bothroyd lazy ?? :ph34r:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.