BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

As did a lot of players. I totally agree and as I said before, he was no more off the pace for me than either Bentley or MGP. Had even one of those three really been on song I think we would have won by two or three.

Look I fully accept he is a player who isn't going to run all day, and one who isn't going to make a lot of challenges, or even get that many shots in a game, but is going to put a highly proportional amounts of chances away. THats his style and it was ruthlessly effective last season.

However when your side completely dominates the first half yet to not even have a shot off target does not reflect well on Benni. In a team such as ours where everybody fights for everything and tries to put in the statistical appropriate work on the pitch it does not tally. Derbyshire may scuff shots but also, like McCarthy, picks up good positions has more pace than the South African and fights from the front.

I expect Hughes will drop him. He has done it before and i imagine will do it now. Its up to benni to respond to that. If he is left in the side when we have 4 Premiership quality strikers available it implies that sort of underperformance is acceptable. It isn't. If we had credible alternatives to Gamst and Bentley perhaps they would be looking over their shoulders, but we don't and at any rate they did manage half decent performances yesterday, and Bentley has has a couple of good games already this season.

McCarthy is a quality player, but we have a very competitive squad up front. He needs to cut the mustard.

Edited by joey_big_nose

One thing I will agree with philip on is that I thought MGP had a vastly improved game yesterday, whereas Bentley is still nowhere near his best form.

The difference with them yesterday though was that even if something didn't come off there were no question marks about their commitment whereas there were with McCarthy.

If phillip is going to be (as usual) gratuitously rude about Blackburn folk I could respond in kind and say that you foreign based guys are desperately trying to look for something that simply isn't there because McCarthy is the established international who happened to notch 24 goals last season etc.

It seems to be a case of you can't believe he could possibly be so poor and are desperately looking for something else to say.

I don't know if you implied me in that stupid comment, but if so I'm certainly not foreign based

I am willingly to admit that I am not based in Blackburn and therefor quite possible am not allowed to have an opinion on Rovers players, but I take my chances. :angry:

I've critised Benni on a numerous occasions for being 'lazy' etc, but as I've said before he played well, along with the rest of the team, in the first half (and no thats not because he scored 24 goals last season) but didn't impress me at all in the 2nd half. But thats Benni for you, he's not the hard working striker, but suddently he can be there and score a goal or create an attack. But hey what do I know, I'm just a UK based norwegian who don't live in Blackburn. :wstu:

Good old paranoid Blackburn fans syndrome.

McCarthy has never had a 'good game.'

Her doesn't play football, he just scores goals, raggy and classy.

He won't have a stormer all season, but you can bet your life he's hits double figures by Christmas.

Don't start getting on his back ala Lucas Neill etc, there is only one way that will send him.

If phillip is going to be (as usual) gratuitously rude about Blackburn folk I could respond in kind and say that you foreign based guys are desperately trying to look for something that simply isn't there because McCarthy is the established international who happened to notch 24 goals last season etc.

It seems to be a case of you can't believe he could possibly be so poor and are desperately looking for something else to say.

I don't think you "just happen" to score 24 goals at this level.

Look I fully accept he is a player who isn't going to run all day, and one who isn't going to make a lot of challenges, or even get that many shots in a game, but is going to put a highly proportional amounts of chances away. THats his style and it was ruthlessly effective last season.

However when your side completely dominates the first half yet to not even have a shot off target does not reflect well on Benni. In a team such as ours where everybody fights for everything and tries to put in the statistical appropriate work on the pitch it does not tally. Derbyshire may scuff shots but also, like McCarthy, picks up good positions has more pace than the South African and fights from the front.

I expect Hughes will drop him. He has done it before and i imagine will do it now. Its up to benni to respond to that. If he is left in the side when we have 4 Premiership quality strikers available it implies that sort of underperformance is acceptable. It isn't. If we had credible alternatives to Gamst and Bentley perhaps they would be looking over their shoulders, but we don't and at any rate they did manage half decent performances yesterday, and Bentley has has a couple of good games already this season.

McCarthy is a quality player, but we have a very competitive squad up front. He needs to cut the mustard.

Don't know where you guys come off thinking he doesn't work. This was actually highlighted when he made a good challenge in our own area, possibly saving a goal in the process. I think some of you have formed an opinion of him and then just turn off. He links up well, he works hard for the team. Ok, he didn't have a great game yesterday, but as I said he wasn't alone in that. If we can create chances for him he'll score goals, as of yet we haven't created one for him and for me that is something we need to look at more.

Although McCarthy is very frustrating because he appears to be a tad lazy at times, opposition supporters invariably think he's superb. This is from an Everton message board........

Only gonna make one comment for now with regards to the game, and thats how impressed i was with Blackburns front two. Especially in the first half. They ran the game. They were actually awesome. Blackburn looked for them very early in their attacks, and they always made something of it. Roque Cruz is very impressive in the air, has a bit of pace about him, has a cracking first touch, and as seen in the game, and before the game in their warm ups, and from what ive seen of his so far, has a cracking finish on him. We all know what McCarthy can do, and im only surprised no-one has come in for him to take him onto bigger things, because the lad is quality.

That 45 minute spell in the first half, was possibly the best half of football ive seen from a striking partnership in a long time. I dont just mean individually, because there are better individuals out their, but they together we awesome today, esp as i said, in the first 45mins. Was very impressed.

Then we didn't see the same game. Perhaps you had one pint to many.

Perhaps you have no idea what you are talking about. I was sat at home watching the game on telly, having not drunk a single alcohol beverage for days. And then I drove a few miles to collect our babysitter - not that my private life has any relevance to this discussion, but whatever floats your boat.

Perhaps you are just blinkered towards him and cannot admit when he isnt great, he was better yesterday than for the last few games, but not entirely up to how he is able to play. But he has always been inconsistent, hence not being good enough for a "top 4" team.

Perhaps you have no idea what you are talking about. I was sat at home watching the game on telly, having not drunk a single alcohol beverage for days. And then I drove a few miles to collect our babysitter - not that my private life has any relevance to this discussion, but whatever floats your boat.

Perhaps you are just blinkered towards him and cannot admit when he isnt great, he was better yesterday than for the last few games, but not entirely up to how he is able to play. But he has always been inconsistent, hence not being good enough for a "top 4" team.

well that might be a reason there.. :rolleyes::lol:

so Krislu...how many did you have? :ph34r:

Ok, first paragraph, haha!

Yes, he was better yesterday, infact he was better than for a long while. Therefore I responded when Tchockey said he was rubbish and you said he had a shocker. As for not being good enough for a top 4 team I totally agree with you.

Which particular shower of pigeon droppings did this bunch of Whammers come down with?

If Bolton can block them from buying Anelka, how do they reckon an offer £12m less than the number Sparky has said Benni is worth more than will work?

West Ham are all too gay to be serious.

Back to the real world and Sparky is encouraged by the first start for the Benni/Roque combo. I thought it looked very promising. If we get Reid back to full fitness and the quality he had pre-injury, the thought of him charging into the holes caused by Benni dropping off and pulling the opposition defense all out of shape is salivating to say the least.

Edited by philipl

Hughes is in the best position to make the decision obviously but I would imagine an offer of 12m+ would be tempting if Sparky had identified high quality players that he wanted to bring in that the money could fund.

I rate Benni as a player but I just have this feeling he's not really up for it this season. Hope I am wrong but I suspect he might leave in the next four days. We shall see.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I might be alone here, but I'd sell Benni for £8M. There's absolutely no way he'll score as much as last season (mostly due to the change of unbelievably poor Nonda to Santa Cruz) and he really seems to have lost all motivation (despite few odd good moments against Everton). After lacklustre season and ~10 goals, he'll be worth the £2,5M we spent on him next summer and we've "lost" £5,5M. I really hope he proves me wrong, but ..

I'd laugh at West Ham and say "If Bent is worth £16m, Bellamy £8m, and Dyer £6m, then pay us £20m". I'd settle for £15m, but only if we have sorted out a replacement worthy of coming. And how would he score fewer goals with a better forward alongside him?

£8m is a joke.

I'd laugh at West Ham and say "If Bent is worth £16m, Bellamy £8m, and Dyer £6m, then pay us £20m". I'd settle for £15m, but only if we have sorted out a replacement worthy of coming. And how would he score fewer goals with a better forward alongside him?

£8m is a joke.

Discounting the crock Dyer , Bent is only 23 . All those daft apeths talking about McCarthy being worth anything up to £20m should realise he'd be worth next to nothing after a short/medium term contract . He's knocking on 30 years old now .

£8m isn't too far out .

• 2 weeks later...

I see Benni has scored for South Africa in their African Nations qualifier. They are currently 3-1 down to Zambia. That result could be enough to keep Congo out of the African Nations and therefore Samba

They have now lost to Zambia and so have finished second in their group with Congo not going to the African Nations. South Africa may not go yet depending on second place finishes.

Edited by Cookiemonster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.