BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

(If I recall Mark Hughes precise words he did say there were no clauses "this year") :rolleyes:

USABlue : "You are exactly right Rev and I remember thinking at the time'what does that mean exactly"

Maybe he meant there were no clauses this year - unlike last year.

Edited by den

Nevermind the fact that there is a clause for next season in Benni's contract, I think that I'm also correct in saying that at that point (contract becomes 'unprotected') he's entitled to buy out the remainder of his own contract and in essence leave for 'free'. Looks like the very best that we can hope for is £5m or whatever Benni's wages are over two years. (Probably around £4m at a very rough guess).

I am thought that wass only after the 3rd year of a contract.

1) We don't know that, allowing Bellamy "a clause" and paying him less enabled us to get him cheaper initially but it cost us on the pitch and financially in the long run.

2) We sign them without clauses making it less easy for them to do one, and also allowing us to make a decent profit if any do eventually leave.

Bellamy was rotting away in Newcastle reserves when we signed him, and no-one else had come in for Benni at the point we signed him.

No it didn't Simon we made money on Bellamy and he scored enough to get us into the UEFA. A very successful albeit not perfect liason that would have been perfectly acceptable if he'd been signed on a one year deal from the start. (Course as is the way these days he'd want the security of a long term deal should serious injury / loss of form occurred) Would you rather he'd have signed for Celtic or Birmingham for those 12 months? I'm sure those two clubs would have taken the option on that..... and especialoly so in hindsight.

What about offering the same deals to the likes of Gudjonnsen, Defoe, Anelka, Baros, Cisse etc ? 'Your careers dipped son so come here, earn a bagful of dollars and if we get you top drawer again you can move on for 'x' million?' The only time the term 'take it or leave it' will be uttered in negotiations with these guys will be by their agents to us! So Rev in hindsight if you were Hughes / Williams would you have taken Bellamy and Benni clauses and all or would you have taken the huff and left em?

No it didn't Simon we made money on Bellamy and he scored enough to get us into the UEFA. A very successful albeit not perfect liason that would have been perfectly acceptable if he'd been signed on a one year deal from the start. (Course as is the way these days he'd want the security of a long term deal should serious injury / loss of form occurred) Would you rather he'd have signed for Celtic or Birmingham for those 12 months? I'm sure those two clubs would have taken the option on that..... and especialoly so in hindsight.

What about offering the same deals to the likes of Gudjonnsen, Defoe, Anelka, Baros, Cisse etc ? 'Your careers dipped son so come here, earn a bagful of dollars and if we get you top drawer again you can move on for 'x' million?' The only time the term 'take it or leave it' will be uttered in negotiations with these guys will be by their agents to us! So Rev in hindsight if you were Hughes / Williams would you have taken Bellamy and Benni clauses and all or would you have taken the huff and left em?

absolutely spot on assessment.

Bellamy came, played well and wanted to leave so thanks very much bellers,good luck and thanks for getting us into europe.next please!

along comes benni,plays well,decides he wants to play champions league so thanks very much benni,good luck and thanks for getting us into europe.next please!

whilst hughes keeps pulling rabbits out of the hat like he does, i am not bothered if we go through strikers like this.Because whilst this is happening, the rest of our squad is building very nicely and at this rate of progression,in the next year or two we might gatecrash the top four,thus ending top strikers need to move on.

You are exactly right Rev and I remember thinking at the time'what does that mean exactly" Now we know. I'm already tired of this clause ######. Bellamy, Benni and then we go and sign another oh wait it's Santa CRUZ. Anyway, Benni's days are numbered which ever way we look at it this season will be his last. I am sure now it is public knowledge all the Prem managers will just sit back, see how he does this season and if he is still scoring at a high rate they plonk down a 5 MIll bid and off he goes. Who wouldn't wait a year, if we go on todays market his value has to be in the 15-18mil range so that's about a cool 15 mil saved for waiting one year.

Get shut now is what I am starting to think, I don't know if I can get excited about him as a player knowing his heart is so publicly not at Rovers. It's another Lucash situation isn't it, I think the team just does not play their best with a wantaway in the midst. I also have a sneaky wish that Cruz and Roberts and Matty do the biz with a more all round game bang in the goals and let Benni's arse get a few splinters from the bench for a while.

There's no logic in what you write.

Just because some naff journalist thinks there's "a clause" isn't a reason to drop our best striker - as evidenced by his two goals against Vetra.

Both excellent finishes, and whilst the other strikers we have do add something to the blend, McCarthy is clearly the most accomplished of the lot.

You simply don't cease playing your best players when they are playing well, especially at the top end of the pitch - even if there are clauses and newspaper articles galore.

The guy scores goals, so as long as he's at the club I want him on the pitch.

I am told by an Everton fan that Benni is at Goodison tonight watching their game. Its because his mate is an Evertonion I am told.

In fact, just found this - click

Indeed, I remember hearing that Benni and Pienaar were close friends back when we were interested in signing him? If he had been at Stamford Bridge I would've been worried, but he has nothing to gain by going to Everton. Not even financially as IIRC they're sensible about their finances.

Revidge, how would offering improved terms minus a clause help? These are players who want to use Rovers as a stepping stone to get their career back on track. Bellamy rejected a better pay deal at Rovers to sign for Liverpool.

They're happy to sign for Rovers until something more grand comes along, at which point they want out, pronto.

Just seen that Bryan, what a strange thing to say.

Obviously we get a far better sale price in the event anyone does want to leave.

In Bellamy's case (sans clause) we could have held out for about 12m and I'm sure pre Gilette and Hicks Bellamy would still have been at Ewood. Or (unlikely) we'd have made an extra 6m.

In Benni's case, we now seem to be in a lose lose situation. Either he has a poor season and no-one wants him or he notches another 18 League goals and we have to sit and watch and wave him bye bye for 5m at a time when the going rate a striker that prolific will be around 15-18m.

IF true - then Rovers will monitor, no doubt.

In January if still not signed, Maybe Sell, depending on Roberts/ Cruz form etc.

If not then maybe sell next summer at £5 million for a player who will be close to 31. At which point Cruz will be our top scorer

Hope not, that will mean our top scorer has 4 goals. :rolleyes:

Let's forget the fact that the Press are not interested in Rovers.

Two days have elapsed since Chelsea target and runner-up in the Golden Boot refused to sign a new contract and a release clause was exposed.

Has nobody in the press bothered to follow up this story?

Obviously we get a far better sale price in the event anyone does want to leave.

In Bellamy's case (sans clause) we could have held out for about 12m and I'm sure pre Gilette and Hicks Bellamy would still have been at Ewood. Or (unlikely) we'd have made an extra 6m.

In Benni's case, we now seem to be in a lose lose situation. Either he has a poor season and no-one wants him or he notches another 18 League goals and we have to sit and watch and wave him bye bye for 5m at a time when the going rate a striker that prolific will be around 15-18m.

It's not a strange thing to say at all. You again assume that JW just said "Ok, so we've agreed a fee, wages and everything. But now instead of signing this I'm gonna add this release clause in the contract. [adds the clause] Now we can finish the deal". Which doesn't seem very plausible to me, as I'm sure JW and MH would do everything to keep such a clause out of the contract. The clause is only there because without it there wouldn't have been a contract in the first place. There might be some players who'd drop a clause if they got a crapload more in wages, but most wouldn't, as it's not there because of greed; it's there because of ambition and flexibility (for the player).

It's not a strange thing to say at all. You again assume that JW just said "Ok, so we've agreed a fee, wages and everything. But now instead of signing this I'm gonna add this release clause in the contract. [adds the clause] Now we can finish the deal". Which doesn't seem very plausible to me, as I'm sure JW and MH would do everything to keep such a clause out of the contract. The clause is only there because without it there wouldn't have been a contract in the first place. There might be some players who'd drop a clause if they got a crapload more in wages, but most wouldn't, as it's not there because of greed; it's there because of ambition and flexibility (for the player).

Exactly, in both Bellamy's and Benni's case there were a large number of clubs trying to sign the player. In order to make ourselves more attractive we would have to have accepted demands for a clause. We could try hard bargaining with the player but we were in a situation of West Ham, Birmingham, Spurs etc being able to just come in and take the player off us.

A current case in point would be Mido. He just refused to sign for birmingham without having his terms.

All the power is centred in a top players hand. We just have to hope that they are not complete @#/?s and demand too much, or 'make' a player from a position where this club is bigger than they are.

Its sad really but there is very little that could stop Bentley, pedersen, Samba etc. from also demanding clauses in the future. Players in good form get what they want. I think Sparky has handled it excellently- we look like coming out of this summer intact.

If someone doesn't want to sign without a clause, it doesn't matter how much we offer them in wages, they won't sign. They can just stay a year, activate the clause and go off to a bigger club and earn mega-bunce there.

I don't think we put these clauses in for fun.

There's no logic in what you write.

Just because some naff journalist thinks there's "a clause" isn't a reason to drop our best striker - as evidenced by his two goals against Vetra.

Both excellent finishes, and whilst the other strikers we have do add something to the blend, McCarthy is clearly the most accomplished of the lot.

You simply don't cease playing your best players when they are playing well, especially at the top end of the pitch - even if there are clauses and newspaper articles galore.

The guy scores goals, so as long as he's at the club I want him on the pitch.

Is there ever?

I was not aware it was made up by some naff journalist

I am not saying drop Benni, I did like him, what I am saying is I hope the others perform well enough to keep him out of the team. Knock him down a peg or two, or at least shut his big mouth.

The Mail still on its own with the story about the £5m release clause

Irrespective of the release clause, Rovers are bound to look to renegotiate with Benni this season:

- reward for last season locked in plus an element of relativity

- he is of an age where 5 year contracts are becoming the norm because of the players' contract buy-out rights a year from the end of the deal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.