BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

All I know is MH is special, he got Benni a argubly better all round player as a strike partner who is younger.

Anyways I really believe at the moment we will go places this year and I hope that Benni plays a huge part in that

I'm not saying he wouldn't be off if a bigger club came in, but I think there is certainly a passion there that goes beyond the simple employer-employee relationship. I think it is a general feeling amongst our squad at the moment and you don't see it all that often.

I'm simply amazed at Mark Hughes' ability to find replacements after selling off players which seemed to be irreplaceable.

Two key examples.

Neill-> Samba (albeit Samba's not a wing-back, but a defender nonetheless.)

Bellamy-> McCarthy AND RQS.

Simply brilliant.. I thought we were gonna be in for a tough time after we sold those players... but it seems that what doesn't kill Sparky's team can only make them stronger!!!!

...BLUE ARMY :rover: (bring on December)

I'm not saying he wouldn't be off if a bigger club came in, but I think there is certainly a passion there that goes beyond the simple employer-employee relationship. I think it is a general feeling amongst our squad at the moment and you don't see it all that often.

Agreed totally.

Benni knows for all his cuddling of Morinho that his Manager at Rovers is one of the great strikers of recent times so has to have the utmost respect for him. Sparky took a calculated risk he knew he could win when he pulled Benni out of first team football for intensive coaching and I bet Benni worked harder physically during those days then he has ever done in his life. So much so that getting into the form he is showing now became the easy option!

All the players know that they are now working on a very special project now and that is coming through in the remarkable camaraderie at Ewood- they must be enjoying the "wow, anything is possible of we keep like this" feeling.

Back to Benni and he is genuinely one of the most outstandingly naturally gifted footballers/sports people I have seen.

Just watch how the guy moves- there is a grace and a charisma which is the hallmark of the truly exceptional. Thierry Henry had the same X factor, Michael Holding in cricket and so on.

Now that Sparky's methods (and I bet it was one of the backroom boys who really put the grunt work in 1 on 1 with Benni) are paying off we are seeing the performance coming from Benni. At the moment, you see Benni and the ball together around the six yard box and you just know it is going to be a goal. Alan Shearer managed that for three long seasons 92-95 so Benni is only just starting but today it is not invidious to begin making that comparison.

I'm simply amazed at Mark Hughes' ability to find replacements after selling off players which seemed to be irreplaceable.

Two key examples.

Neill-> Samba (albeit Samba's not a wing-back, but a defender nonetheless.)

I personally thought that Neill could have been replaced by the club rottweiler and we wouldn't have noticed any difference in the standard of play or the number of disciplinary points received.

Edited by Jan

Two key examples.

Neill-> Samba (albeit Samba's not a wing-back, but a defender nonetheless.)Warnock

'Cos, y'know it was a direct replacement after all.

I personally thought that Neill could have been replaced by the club rottweiler and we wouldn't have noticed any difference in the standard of play or the number of disciplinary points received.

Although in Neill's final season at the club his performance were well below standard you can not argue that he wasn't a key player in our defence.

In his seasons leading up to the 2006 WC (2003-2006) his performances for Blackburn were as consistent as any Rovers player.

I'm just really happy he is over his crappy attitude phase, a terrific player with sublime skills and a real eye for goal. By god though he was infuriating me with those pre Mourinho sacking performances, glad that's all put to bed now

Although in Neill's final season at the club his performance were well below standard you can not argue that he wasn't a key player in our defence.

In his seasons leading up to the 2006 WC (2003-2006) his performances for Blackburn were as consistent as any Rovers player.

Yes, he was good for us in that period, but we actually needed to get rid in order for us to go forward. We got his prime years, he is not missed.

Good to see McCarthy finally admitting matters went to his head(no doubt aided by his agents) <_<

But, I cant help but find some of these players comments and attitudes to Rovers disrespectful.Sadly it is true they see us as nothing more than a stepping stone to supposed greater things....is all that matters to these players today being seen to play for the 'BIG' four?

They should look at Bellamy and where he is now before assuming the grass is always greener on the other side,what this club needs and deserves is more 'local heroes'.

Good to see McCarthy finally admitting matters went to his head(no doubt aided by his agents) <_<

But, I cant help but find some of these players comments and attitudes to Rovers disrespectful.Sadly it is true they see us as nothing more than a stepping stone to supposed greater things....is all that matters to these players today being seen to play for the 'BIG' four?

They should look at Bellamy and where he is now before assuming the grass is always greener on the other side,what this club needs and deserves is more 'local heroes'.

Would you rather have a team populated by semi-talented 'local heroes' or genuine class acts who might be a little, shall we say, mercenary? Which is likely to lead to more success and your favourite subject, bigger crowds?

Local heroes are all fine and dandy if they can cut it at the top level, but there's not many who can.

Agree, but so far I still think we got the better deal with Warnock. Anyway back to Benni; yes it is a little disappointing that top players only see Rovers as a stepping stone to the big 4 but frankly nowadays they see every premier club as that. Think how bad it must be to support Spurs or Villa or Newcastle or City where you have REAL delusions of grandeur <_< Benni is a class act and if his head is straight it can only be good for us

Some players really need a reality check. There are only so many places in the top teams and most operate some sort of rotation unless you are a really top player. Still, there are plenty of places in the lower leagues .........

Absolute top class performance yesterday against Liverpool by Macarthy, and his standing ovation was fully deserved.... (wonder if pulling him off on 85 mins and allowing the crowd to applaud him directly and fully was astute psychology on Hughes part? For what it matters I'd have taken RSC off.) He tied em in knots over and again. Just a pity Bentleys chance did not fall to Benni.

Edited by thenodrog

I have to disagree. There were long stretches in that period where Neill was terrible, a down right liability.

He was, however, a fundamental part of the defence by the time he left for West Ham.

Guest Kamy100

Top notch performance by benni yesterday. He did everything from sublime skills, great movement, excellent work rate and 100% commitment to the cause. When he plays like this he is world class.

I have to disagree. There were long stretches in that period where Neill was terrible, a down right liability.

He was, however, a fundamental part of the defence by the time he left for West Ham.

And as a left back, Warnock has been head and shoulders better. Ergo we haven't missed him at all.

Well, considering that left back isn't Neill's best or natural position he did a pretty good job for the team there. It's unfair to be critical of him for not being the best when played out of position. He was a very good player.

Neill definitely did a very good job toward the end of his career at Ewood, especially as he isn't a left back.

However, Jan is right, Warnock, as a full back, is a far better player and has been far more consistent since joining the club. We look so much better with Emerton and Warnock. In fact, Emerton has performed consistently well too since being put at right back.

Neill definitely did a very good job toward the end of his career at Ewood, especially as he isn't a left back.

However, Jan is right, Warnock, as a full back, is a far better player and has been far more consistent since joining the club. We look so much better with Emerton and Warnock. In fact, Emerton has performed consistently well too since being put at right back.

Warnock is proving to be one of the best LB's I have seen at Rovers. Not THE best, but certainly one of them, and there have been quite a few. The one that still stands out from all the others though is still Bill Eckersley; he had the lot: great tackler, could bomb up the wing and send great accurate crosses in to the CF, and could dribble and beat a man as good as most top wingers of his day. Tom Finney says Bill Eckersley was the one of the best full backs he ever faced.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.