BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Garner

there seems to be a difference of opinion , amongst many, on how good this guy is.

whenever i've seen him, he's looked like he's got bags of ability and a finisher (in the fowler mould?)

i've not seen him this year and he got a slating on here for his displays in the youth cup. was he a flash in the pan or someone who'll make an impact?

would like to here from anyone whose seen him lately/ or on a regular basis.

Edited by pleasure

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say, but in the youth cup games he was eventually dropped to the bench for the last game v Brighton and when he came on you could have quite easily have subbed him because of his lack of impact.

He's good at heading the ball, gets up well and attacks it with gusto and wins his fair share, as for pace and tricks i didnt see anything in the three youth cup games he played in to suggest he has what it takes, if hes got another year at youth level then maybe he has half a chance of making it.

Garner seems to have lost his way of late but I'm sure he'll be back. Raff De Vita has made more of an impact since featuring for the reserves.

389813[/snapback]

de vita looks decent, like the player grabbi shouldve been.

as for garner, is my fowler comparison way off ? looks a finisher to me!

• 8 months later...

I been hearing allot of promising news about this striker and just wondered what everyone thinks or has heard about him...? <_<

I don't know what promising news you've been reading - but it must be a little out of date.

Garner was all the rage when he was scoring for fun for the U18s but since stepping up to the reserves he hasn't done much whatsoever. (A bit like Gally and his less than successful step up to the first team).

Guys like Treacy (to an extent), Taylor, Derbyshire, Nolan, Kane are people who have established themselves as good reserve team players. Garner hasn't got that far yet although, this season the goals have started to come - but he needs to maintain it for the season if he wants to even start thinking about becoming a real Rovers player.

I just fear that he's been consumed by the age-old problem of too much hype too early.

Edited by rover6

Apart from the odd obscure England U17/19, game I haven't seen Garner play. His record for the U18s was darn good and needless to say with his name, people here were very excited.

However, you just need to look at his reserve goal record and compare it with the progress that guys like Matt Derbyshire and Raff De Vita (although I believe he's been dogged by injuries this year) have made to see that Garner isn't quite the white hope some expected.

There's still time to re-find his form, of course. ANd he recently scored a hat-trick for the reserves which was unheard of last season. He's a Dad isn't he - that could explain his dip in form (although I have to admit, I don't know much about this parenting lark, but i've heard it can wear u out... :tu: )

Edited by rover6

Rover 6 mentioned Keith Treacy.

When I first saw him he looked ok but relied on his left foot too much. The last few games that I have seen him play has seen him improve very much. Some of his crossing has been very good, although we have to remember that he is playing reserve football.

It will be interesting to see how he performs in his loan period at Stockport.

I think he is considerably closer to the first team than Garner, his overall play and control is better at this time in my opinion.

Apart from the odd obscure England U17/19, game I haven't seen Garner play. His record for the U18s was darn good and needless to say with his name, people here were very excited.

However, you just need to look at his reserve goal record and compare it with the progress that guys like Matt Derbyshire and Raff De Vita (although I believe he's been dogged by injuries this year) have made to see that Garner isn't quite the white hope some expected.

There's still time to re-find his form, of course. ANd he recently scored a hat-trick for the reserves which was unheard of last season. He's a Dad isn't he - that could explain his dip in form (although I have to admit, I don't know much about this parenting lark, but i've heard it can wear u out... :tu: )

You haven't seen him play so as usual you obviously don't know what you are talking about

How can you compare players if you havent seen them play.

Heck rover6, give the lad a chance, he's only 18.

He made his debut for the reserves last year scoring 2 goals in 12 appearances.

Whilst this season he's scored 1 goal in 3 appearances, plus 3 goals in the Pontins League Cup.

He might make it and he might not, what I would say about him is, that he's like a little terrior, prepared to run and battle away all night. He gets in where the boots fly and is prepared to give and take. If I was to compare him to anyone I would say Dickov with a bit more skill.

If he is going to progress he needs to build up his body strength as he gets easily knocked off the ball by a big centre half. However to his credit, he quickly gets back on his feet without any amature dramatics and gets stuck in.

there seems to be a difference of opinion , amongst many, on how good this guy is.

whenever i've seen him, he's looked like he's got bags of ability and a finisher (in the fowler mould?)

i've not seen him this year and he got a slating on here for his displays in the youth cup. was he a flash in the pan or someone who'll make an impact?

would like to here from anyone whose seen him lately/ or on a regular basis.

He is quite short at about 6 foot 9... from the Caribean....used to play in a useful team in the 80's

nicknamed "the big bird" very scary by all accounts if you got a bit of wood in your hand

:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Fantastic news for the lad.

Was planning to get a Reserves game at some stage this season, but haven't had the chance and have to settle for U18's vs Bolton in February. Would love for this move to work out for him and would be ideal for him to experience and hopefully prove in his own mind that he's too good for Division 1.

Carlisle are pushing for a promotion place to the Championship and also have former Rovers' keeper Anthony Williams in between the sticks. Good luck and hopefully you'll do the same as Gally and Derbyshire done last season.

Be interested to hear how he gets along Mr Tashkent (splendid name by the way). He first appeared on my Rovers radar 2 or 3 years ago when he seemed to be getting rave reviews for the academy. Seems to have gone off the boil a bit on his rise through the ranks - doing OK for the reserves these days, but still one of our brighter hopes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.