BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Are You Listening.... Merged with

I hear now Manchester City are the latest club along with liverpool and Newcastle to be on the verge of a buyout and investment. I know we've had our time but does anyone think a rich businesman/women will come to our aid. I'm worried we'll be left behind as not an attractive option. I'm pretty sure most clubs in the championship would look a better option on paper too. What are peoples thoughts??

TV money for the Prem leaps by around 60% next year.

The current raft of investors are providing rich paydays for clubs' former owners and will be looking to turn a more than tidy profit on their investment.

If you are buying Liverpool, you are buying into making a massive investment in a club with an under-exploited brand value.

If you are buying into Citeh, you are buying into a decent-sized risk of relegation and associated financial headaches. With that sort of risk profile, a 20%+ annual return is the minimum profits required and the new Sky deal potentially offers that.

Its the reason why I think the tournequet on wages will continue- English clubs no longer need to worry about losing players to all but half a dozen non-EPL clubs as the EPL has the financial muscle already. So long as EPL clubs don't start a stupid war amongst themselves, the pickings for owners of clubs which stay in the EPL for the next three years will be rich indeed.

In fact, Rovers could find the Walker Trust ownership a financial advantage in the new climate- the owners take nothing out (no big wages a la FF, loan payments Glazered over or stonking dividends as paid at quite a few clubs) and actually put an average of £6m a year into the club.

The up front largesse on transfers by buyers is little more than a dowry payment to the supporters- they'll only see it once and its there primarilly to avoid relegation risks.

Hughes today - frustration boiling over and making a personal point. His comments below are making a valid point and maybe a business comment.

Players we want cost "a bit too much"

Clubs like Blackburn will be left behind.

This is just as much as backing as a big signing, we must do it. Crucial time or we kick Premierhsip and Sparky goodbye,

Jack would know all about it and I am pretty sure his family will realise the club is onto a good thing.

ps- I am pis*sed but this could be the defining moment for BRFC.

Edited by John

Well it all depends how much money we have in the pot. Which I guess is not a huge amount. While we certianly don't have the same amount of money as the city clubs we are in the same financial bracket as the Bolton's, the Wigan's, the Reading's of this world. Just because we don't have huge amounts of money does not necessarily mean we are going down, although it is more likely.

Just like any one we have to live within our means, which are unfortunately pretty small in the post Jack era. There is no reason why the Walkers are obliged to bail us out. And I feel there is a thread of panic at the moment which is unwarrented. We have a good side in terms of players. The only significant loss we have suffered is Bellamy.

That said a cash injection would be warmly welcomed.

Where was this said? Do we have a link?

Could be connected with Mark Hughes Concerned with Take Overs

Quote from Hughes. 'We are in a group of clubs that have a certain level that we can go up to, and there is a certain quality of player we aspire to bring to the club but can't do because of finances.

'The situation here is that any money generated is ploughed back into the club and is not taken out by shareholders, so that's one benefit.

'But the gap between the clubs who have huge financial backing is getting bigger so it will be more difficult for clubs such as Blackburn.

'But you just have to work hard with what you have got, and that improves you as a manager and a coach.'

As I have explained elsewhere, in the longer term these investors coming into the EPL are interested in one thing- making money out of the clubs. Big money.

So if you compare Rovers where the shasreholders contribute around £6m a year and Newcastle today where the shareholders probably already extract around £5m a year in dividends and inflated salaries for themselves, Rovers are ahead of the game and will continue to be so in the future withy their current ownership to an increasing extent.

However, the picture looks very different this January and we all know what angst just one bad defeat/performance brings to these boards. Whether supporters go to Ewood or not is very much about the here and now.

The Sky/Setanta bonanza is just around the corner with a probable value of £50m over 3 years IF Premiership status is retained.

New owners have to be seen to be investing so there are going to be millions- no tens of millions sloshing around in the coming window looking for players, all of whom are within contract of some length or another.

Transfer fees are going to go up and Sparky is probably already deeply sickened by talking to venal agents who will be more than exploiting the situation.

I do think the Walker Trust will loosen the purse strings but what use will an extra £5m be when faced with:

Villa £20m

Sheff U £10m

West Ham £10m

Citeh and Everton doing refinancings?

As Hughes says, you expect the Big 4 and Spuds to be splashing around but quite a few clubs in our bracket are going to be seriously funded giving Rovers a headache in the markets for players we have recently been operating in.

If anyone wondered why an Egyptian and a Cypriot will be at Brockhall just before Christmas- this is one of the reasons.

As I have explained elsewhere, in the longer term these investors coming into the EPL are interested in one thing- making money out of the clubs. Big money.

Are you refering to --- on second thoughts.

EDIT. Topics Merged

Lets not forget Hughes previous record in the transfer market. I think too often fans are attacted to players with unwarranted big reputations with similar transfer fees.

Some of our best buys have been free's or relatively small money - I must admit it would seem that because we have limited funds MH and his staff go the extra yard to pick up bargains.

It is difficult - but a number of the players that MH has signed for relatively little money couldn't really bet bettered if we were back in the Jack Walker days - and indeed remember how much money we wasted at that time on average players - quick comparison :-

Dailly (5.5m) or Nelsen (Free)

Davies (£7.25m) or Benni (£2.25)

Ward (£4m) or Kuqi (Free)

Point is - spending big money doesn't necessarily bring success - ask any Wolves/Newcastle etc etc fan

While we certianly don't have the same amount of money as the city clubs we are in the same financial bracket as the Bolton's, the Wigan's, the Reading's of this world.

Are you sure about that? :unsure:

'But the gap between the clubs who have huge financial backing is getting bigger so it will be more difficult for clubs such as Blackburn.

'But you just have to work hard with what you have got, and that improves you as a manager and a coach.'

No use moaning about it Hughes, do the best you can with what you have like Big Sam at Bolton.....you knew the score when you took the managers job. <_<

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Just woke up and whilst I made the point whilst intoxicated, there is no doubt with the transfer window approaching that Hughes is making a point to the board here.

What about improving our club??

Edited by John

I do think the Walker Trust will loosen the purse strings but what use will an extra £5m be when faced with:

Villa £20m

Sheff U £10m

West Ham £10m

Citeh and Everton doing refinancings?

The article I read said that Sheff U were only putting £5m into the transfer pot.

O'Neill will do well with his transfers, but there is no guarantee with the rest.

Point is - spending big money doesn't necessarily bring success - ask any Wolves/Newcastle etc etc fan

Or ask Chelsea too. They have spent huge money on players who have not worked out. It's a fine line but I feel more comfortable staying within our means than buying "big names" and putting the whole future of the club a risk. We have to somehow manage to spend not too much but enough to make sure we do well in the Prem. Hard ask.

Are you sure about that? :unsure:

No use moaning about it Hughes, do the best you can with what you have like Big Sam at Bolton.....you knew the score when you took the managers job. <_<

You think he's moaning? I don't, I think he's just saying it like it is. Do you want Rovers to start playing like Bolton? Or Hughes to be like Big Sam? You've lost your mind. Come on Big Sam moans as much as anyone, if not more. When, or if, we get our full squad together we are more than a match for the Wigans, Boltons and Readings, remember last season. We get a run of fitness from our players and things will look differently. Let's not panic yet, if there is one thing that pisses me off about success it's the expectations that come with it.

What about improving our club??

One would have to think that impovement in the manager and coach, improves the club, yeah?

Maybe the Big Sam approach of signing a few old players and people who have gotten into a bit of a rut will be our future. Although hopefully without Mark Hughes' son as an agent! If the right recruits come along it may be OK. I think we'll survive, but will be a team that mills about the 10-17th place with the odd cup run. At least it is better than 20+ years ago I suppose.

According to today's Sunday Telegraph, " Manchester City has now revealed it could be the next club to change hands.......Newcastle United is in the middle of a live bid. Industry sources suggest that Blackburn Rovers, Tottenham Hotspur and possible even Arsenal could become swept up in the wave of consolidation.."

According to today's Sunday Telegraph, " Manchester City has now revealed it could be the next club to change hands.......Newcastle United is in the middle of a live bid. Industry sources suggest that Blackburn Rovers, Tottenham Hotspur and possible even Arsenal could become swept up in the wave of consolidation.."

"Industry sources"?......Gerald Jackson? Iain Stanners? John Newsham? The security guard?

Could be anyone.

:brfc:B)

Edited by MCMC1875

Express is reporting about the value of premiership status for clubs as from next season as clubs will each recieve £35 million a year each in TV money alone!!

Its basically on about the west ham sacking asnd saying that its the reason pardew had to go, however it also mentions that other investors are looking at Newcastle, Man City & BLACKBURN.

Fingers crossed!

Express is reporting about the value of premiership status for clubs as from next season as clubs will each recieve £35 million a year each in TV money alone!!

Its basically on about the west ham sacking asnd saying that its the reason pardew had to go, however it also mentions that other investors are looking at Newcastle, Man City & BLACKBURN.

Fingers crossed!

Unless Uncle Jack's come back from the grave I'd be very careful what we wish for. Clubs can be completely buggered up by people out for the cash and who don't know football.

Phil mentions big TV money. I want that investing in the club not going in the back pocket of some jonny-come-lately who can spot a moment to invest and then leech the club dry.

A chap I know is a Chesterfield fan and he saw his club nearly go under due to meddling and mismanangement.

Fingers crossed, indeed!

I agree - we should be careful what we wish for.

People like Jack Walker, Jack Heywood and Abramovich (to an extent) don't come along everyday. These guys put money into football clubs with no great expectation of a return. When it is business men putting money into clubs - it is only for one reason - to create money. Not for the clubs but themselves. So though West Ham and Pompey fans are currently enjoying supposed large transfer kitties - I would enjoy it while it lasts - as many of these people don't have the clubs at heart (or enough money that it doesn't really matter i.e. Abramovich), and one day will want their investment back.

We'd need a millionaire/billionaire who just wants to have a lot of fun and take a team to new heights for pleasure. Someone like Jack Walker, but I doubt there are many other Blackburn fans worth £500m+. So that would leave someone like Abrahmovich who is doing it with Chelsea because he can. How much money does Wayne Hemmingway have?!

What would be terrible is if we end up with someone who'll put loads of money in, and then get bored really quickly and leave us in the lurch, some dodgy Russian who may end up poisoned/asset stripped by the Kremlin, or a complete nutter like Mr. Romanov at Hearts.

If I make £100m+ I'll buy the club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.