BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pet Peevs

Word limitations on university papers.

3000 words isn't enough for anything thing dammit!

Tell me about it!

My last essay was meant to be 2,500 words, but I couldn't crop it to less than 6,500! Instead of doing a load of small essays worth bvirtually nothing, why not do fewer essays worth more marks?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me neither! That would cut my actual essays down to 1000 words, because I footnote every second sentence!

I can't sympathise with hating the 3000 word limit, though. Precision in an essay is a fine art.

Well personally I think 3000 isn't a lot by and large. If you consider that your introduction and method could eat up anything from 500 - 800 words, you don't get a lot to work with when you have to present your case, include a case study based on field work and critically discuss whatever it is you're writing.

Well personally I think 3000 isn't a lot by and large. If you consider that your introduction and method could eat up anything from 500 - 800 words, you don't get a lot to work with when you have to present your case, include a case study based on field work and critically discuss whatever it is you're writing.

I quite often have the pleasure of drafting replies for Government Ministers to MPs who have enclosed a 17 page letters from their constituents.

When Michael Heseltine was a Minister he was the hero of the "the one side of A4 answer." A damn good model.

Schlepp in the answer. Bang bang bang, make your points and then exit.

I have always been impressed by the (probably ficticious) exam question which asked "Describe bravery."

To which the answer was a two word "This is."

People that respond "look, ..." and then contnue talking. Usually this can be heard in football interviews:

Interviewer: Do you think you had a good game today?

Player: Look, I think we all had a good game today.

It's just not necessary and often makes the person come off rude. It's also just so damned patronizing.

People who think Science is the answer to everthing, young lads who wear very tight jeans who think they look like Russell Brand or the latest band to being their name with 'THE'. Aussies who think that England is rubbish but have never actually been there or have been to London once and think all of England/UK is like that.

Bad losers and bad winners. People who give their sons girls names like Lesley, Hillary or Kim.

I could go on forever. What a sad man I am, I mean look at me, I'm not at work its a weekday and I am sat at a computer writing comments to people i don't know, about things I hate. Better ge back to mending my stairs.

For the record, I don't think 3000 is a lot either. I usually have thousands of discarded words, sentences, and paragraphs underneath any essay I'm writing.

Grr. I get really peeved when some wrestling fans refer to World Championship Wrestling as "wCw", rather than "WCW". It is all very well and good to refer to its WWF/WWE incarnation (which was nothing more than a stable, really) as "wCw", because that was how the logo put the lettering, but the actual organisation itself, before being bought out, was "WCW". The failure of that distinction is always made by those who continue to insist on the "wCw" lettering.

Grr. I get really peeved when some wrestling fans refer to World Championship Wrestling as "wCw", rather than "WCW". It is all very well and good to refer to its WWF/WWE incarnation (which was nothing more than a stable, really) as "wCw", because that was how the logo put the lettering, but the actual organisation itself, before being bought out, was "WCW". The failure of that distinction is always made by those who continue to insist on the "wCw" lettering.

People who take this type of wrestling seriously. WWF is the World Wildlife Fund!

British Airways ;)

Me too, Paul.

Brussels - New Year - Lost bags until day coming home (3 nights)

BA Customer Relations politely implied - tough titty, these things happen.

Agree, these things do happen sometimes, but, a goodwill gesture from them would have been appreciated. :angry:

People who take this type of wrestling seriously.

That snipe's as old as you, Al. ;)

And ah, there's another couple of pet peeves:

1. Being told by people that wrestling (EDIT: that is to say, professional wrestling) is fake (duh!), or;

2. That wrestling is somehow unworthy of being taken seriously as entertainment and/or as an art form.

People who carry number two in their arsenal particularly grate me, especially if they watch and are fans of something as low as "X Factor", something I wouldn't be caught dead watching. *cough*Al*cough* :D

1. Being told by people that wrestling is fake (duh!), or;

2. That wrestling is somehow unworthy of being taken seriously as entertainment and/or as an art form.

People who carry number two in their arsenal particularly grate me, especially if they watch and are fans of something as low as "X Factor", something I wouldn't be caught dead watching. *cough*Al*cough* :D

But surely you don't take it seriously do you James? It's an old snipe because it's true. Real wrestling is an Olympic sport. Watch it if it entertains you but please don't try to say it's a real sport.

X Factor entertains me so I watch it but I don't believe it's a serious programme, just an entertainment.

But surely you don't take it seriously do you James? It's an old snipe because it's true. Real wrestling is an Olympic sport. Watch it if it entertains you but please don't try to say it's a real sport.

But I never did say that, which is why I don't understand why you had a snipe in the first place!

Insurance companies who are still working through a claim after 4 months.

People who reverse into you when you are stationary

People who don't have insurance

Police - who don't care about people without insurance

Shiny new cars with scratches on them

1. Being told by people that wrestling is fake (duh!), or;

Cant wait for Abbs response to this in LARGE CAPITALS.

Archived