BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] President Platini

M-K

So Platini is now the top dog at UEFA. Bad news indeed, given that he has previously advocated banning tackling altogether. You could even say that he's indirectly resposible for the epidemic of 'simulation' in the game, since he and Sepp Blatter helped introduce the rules that penalise players for the slightest physical contact.

I predict doom, gloom and Arsenal to win the league for the next 10 years.

On the other hand he is talking about the need to return to a game rather than a business, looking at levelling out the playing field. Mind you he also plans to take a Champions League place from the countries with 4 places which will further reduce Rovers' chances of european football. I do however agree with the latter move - he plans to give the extra places to eastern european countries to encourage the game there.

On the other hand he is talking about the need to return to a game rather than a business, looking at levelling out the playing field. Mind you he also plans to take a Champions League place from the countries with 4 places which will further reduce Rovers' chances of european football. I do however agree with the latter move - he plans to give the extra places to eastern european countries to encourage the game there.

I have to say I agree. Frankly only the champions of each country should be playing in the Champions League. So what if he takes away a route for one of the big four to make even more money?

Platini's appointment should be a good thing. He's one of the greatest players of all time and thus his view as a football man should be radically different to that of a beaurocrat like Lennart Johansson.

if the champions league gets cut from 4 teams to 3 teams from the premiership, it's bad news.

the gulf will expand and the lesser teams will eventually stand no chance sooner rather than later.

Surely only the champions should play for the champions cup like it used to be. Which gulf is going to increase if only the champions take part, there would be an extra 3 teams in the premiere league that are not in it.

:unsure:

BFS is woried, so it can't be all bad :lol:

"Sam Allardyce has admitted concerns that the selection of Michel Platini as new Uefa president could end any hopes Bolton had of playing UEFA Champions League football.

Platini was elected as European football's new supremo after beating former president Lennart Johansson in the voting.

The French legend is keen to limit the maximum number of clubs in the Champions League from one country to three, one less than currently allowed. "

I think the other teams in PL will end any hopes you have BFS!

I know very little about what this election may or may not mean.

What I do hope doesn't happen is that Platini feels the need to make some drastic changes to justify his election/appointment.

Essentially, the game as a whole is fine - it just needs evening out.

The game of football must be preserved.

Platini's appointment should be a good thing. He's one of the greatest players of all time and thus his view as a football man should be radically different to that of a beaurocrat like Lennart Johansson.

Sure, the guy that wants football to be a non-contact sport.

Much of the diving and cheating that now plagues the professional game is tracable back to this clown, due to his campaigning over the years to get tackling banned.

His appointment will most definately see changes to the game and none will be to it's benefit IMO.

Sure, the guy that wants football to be a non-contact sport.

Much of the diving and cheating that now plagues the professional game is tracable back to this clown, due to his campaigning over the years to get tackling banned.

His appointment will most definately see changes to the game and none will be to it's benefit IMO.

I am personally sick and tired of the Continentals fiddle farting around with the game, Blatter and this guy, great player but I smell trouble on the horizon. Seems so French doesn't it footy with no tackling. Bit like a war with out any fighting, you just hand it over to the enemy.

This could be the shot in the arm the busted flush which the G14 had become. If he reduces the number of CL clubs from England, France and Spain, the European break away super league is even more inevitable.

Interesting to see he immediately went backwards on that particular pledge after being elected.

Johansson was no saint. Platinin I regard with even greater suspicion. Septic Blast's open backing for him stank.

I remember Platini talking almost a year ago saying he wanted the CL to include only the Champions and to be a knockout competition from start to finish.

I personally think that the European competitions could use a bit of a touch up. I remember the old days when the UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup and European Cup were all prestigious in their own rights.

Why not bring back the Cup Winners Cup for instance?

Lets be honest no one really cares about European football until February, unless in the group stages you get one or two prestigious ties like Lyon against Real and Chelsea with Barcelona.

If he reduces the number of CL clubs from England, France and Spain, the European break away super league is even more inevitable.

That alone would make me applaud his appointment ...but somehow I think the Euro league is one of those things that will forever be talked about but never happen . I just don't think the fans of the English clubs concerned would let go of the inter club traditions and rivalries that have built up over the last century or so . A pity from our point of view ...

I remember Platini talking almost a year ago saying he wanted the CL to include only the Champions and to be a knockout competition from start to finish.

I personally think that the European competitions could use a bit of a touch up. I remember the old days when the UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup and European Cup were all prestigious in their own rights.

Why not bring back the Cup Winners Cup for instance?

Lets be honest no one really cares about European football until February, unless in the group stages you get one or two prestigious ties like Lyon against Real and Chelsea with Barcelona.

I would love to see all of them back, Champions League for the Champions of each European country with home and away knock out from day dot and no group stages, Cup Winners Cup for national cup competitions and UEFA for 2,3,4 and fairs.

Intertoto just get rid of all together, sorry Newcastle. :lol:

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Platini- English clubs cheat.

UEFA have not exactly raised this in the most diplomatic of manners but the debts of English clubs brought about by their inadequate ownership structures is not an issue that is going away.

From that link....

Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, and David Gill, his counterpart at United, were said to be furious with Platini’s attack on their clubs and their owners. One source close to the clubs said: “If Monsieur Platini was hoping to warn off English clubs, then he has had the reverse effect. People in the Premier League will just not stand for being slagged off like this. Everything he said was arrant nonsense and this is not the way to go about getting co-operation at the highest levels.”

I think they mean people in charge of about 4 or 5 clubs do not like being 'slagged off'. The rest of the prem clubs with manageable debt are probably applauding. BUT maybe he should have included the Spanish and Eytie giants in his criticism. I don't think Real Madrid have made a profit in years have they? I seem to rem reading a while back that the banks just keep writing off / rearranging their debt.

So Real Madrid's debts of £250m+ being effectively written off by the city council buying their training ground for something like £200m was perfectly OK was it?

Typical. Whoever is in charge of UEFA wants to put the boot into English football.

From that link....

Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, and David Gill, his counterpart at United, were said to be furious with Platini’s attack on their clubs and their owners. One source close to the clubs said: “If Monsieur Platini was hoping to warn off English clubs, then he has had the reverse effect. People in the Premier League will just not stand for being slagged off like this. Everything he said was arrant nonsense and this is not the way to go about getting co-operation at the highest levels.”

I think they mean people in charge of about 4 or 5 clubs do not like being 'slagged off'. The rest of the prem clubs with manageable debt are probably applauding. BUT maybe he should have included the Spanish and Eytie giants in his criticism. I don't think Real Madrid have made a profit in years have they? I seem to rem reading a while back that the banks just keep writing off / rearranging their debt.

They dont need to, the spanish government fund Real & have done since the spanish civil war. Uefa never seem to mention this though.

They dont need to, the spanish government fund Real & have done since the spanish civil war. Uefa never seem to mention this though.

No wonder the Catalan and Basque supporters hate em so much then is it? The thought of paying taxes to subsidise MU or the Arse would have me doing a Hungerford all the way down Downing Street.

Archived