BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 5th Round

Modi

You are right england do not produce players like these as the other poster said they tend to like players who can run all day and put a foot in like savage as the center midfielders while any player who shows any hint of being a flair player is shunted out wide. in my opinion we wont win the world cup or euros until this is addressed.

i think the problem is the young english skillfull players can't get into their own club team, because the top team teams seem to look abroad these days to bring in young players in, then rather look at talent in this country

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think the problem is the young english skillfull players can't get into their own club team, because the top team teams seem to look abroad these days to bring in young players in, then rather look at talent in this country

it's not only the top-teams. look at rovers. we've very few english players (in our 1st team). the main problem is english players are too expensive, and given the choice of too similar players - clubs are always going to go for the player that represents value for money - or is significantly cheaper.

the reason wenger in particular doesnt give 'english players' a chance, is 2- fold. ive heard it said (on radio or tv) that he beileves :

1, young foreign players are technically superior, and therefore fit easier into arsenal's playing style.

(*similar comparison can drawn between england's so called world class players , like lampard, gerrard, and spain's players last weds)

2, young foreign players have a better attitude and are more willing to learn and work hard- hungrier (ie, young english players think nthey've made it when they sign profession and let it all go to their heads- if they're ever given a few games in the 1st team.

Hi all,

I am a HK-er coming to UK for a while, and I have been supporting the Rovers since the Walker's times.

I just book a ticket for the Arsenal match via the Rovers ticketing hotline, and they told me to collect the ticket at the Arsenal Booking Office.

I just wonder what are the earliest and latest date/time that I should collect the ticket?

Go Go Rovers! Beat the Bayer and continue to grab the UEFA cup! :rover:

Bryan

Hi all,

I am a HK-er coming to UK for a while, and I have been supporting the Rovers since the Walker's times.

I just book a ticket for the Arsenal match via the Rovers ticketing hotline, and they told me to collect the ticket at the Arsenal Booking Office.

I just wonder what are the earliest and latest date/time that I should collect the ticket?

Go Go Rovers! Beat the Bayer and continue to grab the UEFA cup! :rover:

Bryan

The guy told me they will be available from 10:00 am. As potentially 2000 fans will be queuing up I'd err on the early side.

The guy told me they will be available from 10:00 am. As potentially 2000 fans will be queuing up I'd err on the early side.

I see. Thanks. I will also go there early...

Let's witness the Rovers win! :rover:

Your mental paying £32 for a cup game

I know it may be expensive, but it could be a rare experience for me considering I am only to stay here for a while... :brfc:

it's not only the top-teams. look at rovers. we've very few english players (in our 1st team). the main problem is english players are too expensive, and given the choice of too similar players - clubs are always going to go for the player that represents value for money - or is significantly cheaper.

the reason wenger in particular doesnt give 'english players' a chance, is 2- fold. ive heard it said (on radio or tv) that he beileves :

1, young foreign players are technically superior, and therefore fit easier into arsenal's playing style.

(*similar comparison can drawn between england's so called world class players , like lampard, gerrard, and spain's players last weds)

2, young foreign players have a better attitude and are more willing to learn and work hard- hungrier (ie, young english players think nthey've made it when they sign profession and let it all go to their heads- if they're ever given a few games in the 1st team.

I think he might be right. Not sure about :2. It could be, but the first one surely. The only way yould would argue with that is if your english/brittish pride is hurt. Obviously you have english players standing out from the rest, but compared overall dutch, spainsh, african and south american players are head and shoulders above england and the same goes for most other teams from the part of europe that isnt warm.

I think it was actually also Wenger who said that the most important years in a footballers life is betwen 6 and 12 because all the fundemental is laid there. The danish FA have the same view and are now setting up a new youth training system that allows more play as the idea is to give freedom to devellop skills first. And then learn how to win second.

I see. Thanks. I will also go there early...

Let's witness the Rovers win! :rover:

I know it may be expensive, but it could be a rare experience for me considering I am only to stay here for a while... :brfc:

hope your right but i won't get your hopes up for Saturday, i can see us getting another good hiding

Dont you just love those big clubs. £32 a ticket for a early kick off game on tv and making it all ticket, giving us a grand total of 2 day to sell tickets. Thanks arsenal, you really help out travelling fans dont you <_<

£32 for this match is scandlous. the prices are ruining football and stop the real hardcore fans attending games. They are only doing one thing and that is catering for the bloody snoby buisness people

I think it was actually also Wenger who said that the most important years in a footballers life is betwen 6 and 12 because all the fundemental is laid there. The danish FA have the same view and are now setting up a new youth training system that allows more play as the idea is to give freedom to devellop skills first. And then learn how to win second.

Also me in the Academy thread :tu:

The difference is that here we encourage the kids to play in leagues and cup comps from the age of 7. This is wrong!

Hell, they can't even kick the ball properly never mind play in a competitive league....I bet this doesn't happen abroad.....You go down Pleasington or wherever on a weekend and you'll here well meaning coaches and parents screaming at 7/8 year olds to "hoof it up the pitch" or "clear their lines"...............It's very rare to hear "keep it"...."run with it"..."take them on"

And that's part of the problem long term....too much pressure on kids to win from an early age and not enough emphasis on good footwork and skills to get past defenders...

Its clear that the Spanish kids get trained to keep and work with the ball from a very early age...

Having grown up abroad I can say that I started playing competitive football at a very young age, probably around the age of 5. This was combined with less serious things, but cetainly the programs in both the United States and France involve regular competitive football. I don't think this is a problem, I think it does help players to develop a mind for the game that you do need to be a top player, but it does need to be combined with some less serious things that can help young players to discovers how to "express" themselves in football and to add a bit more flair and skill to their game.

I would also agree that the price for this game is crazy.

Am I not the only one sick of all the plaudits going the way of the Arsenal youngsters ?

Yes - they are probably the best bunch of youngsters since the Neville, Scholes, Beckham era at United - but there is a major difference. Arsenal have spent considerably more on their youth team than we have on our first team. Yes Wenger has shown good judgement - but don't anyone think these are a result of an Academy system grooming from 14 upwards - these are players bought and poached from other clubs across the world.

Fair play to Arsenal - they are one of the few teams (other than Rovers) that I will actually watch on telly - but as with all teams they are beatable.

Though at the moment I would have to say 80 times out of a hundred they would probably beat us, 19 would be draws and one lucky win :rolleyes: but you never know. Lets not forget the time we beat them 2-1 at Highbury - in reality they played us off the park - but we ultimately had the best player on the pitch in Brad.

There is one thing - in the unlikely event that we beat them - put some money on us for the Cup - because I would really start to think it was our year :rover:

;) I'm sure people living in the UK will have a different view on this, but when we go to England (or abroad in the UEFA Cup) we'll pay 150 quid just getting there, and that's without the lodging, the food and the drinking. So whether the ticket price is 32 or 12 pounds, it doesn't matter all that much - it's going to be expensive regardless.

Back to the debate: Can only predict a loss for this one. 3-1 Arsenal.

Archived