BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayer 3 Rovers 2

elwaxo

I have to say I'm so excited about this game and I'm not even there.

Not only is this a big game, but it is also a very difficult game. Having said that they qualified in third place we qualified in first therefore perhaps they are just as worried about us as we are about them.

Having said that they have great european pedigree and still boast some very good players. It willnot be easy.

I would say a 2-1 defeat would represent an excellent night's work - even at 2-0 the game is not over; however don't be suprised if Benni really fancies it tonight and Rovers produce something truely wonderful.

Looking forward to this. Come on you blue boys.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to ad to the fear a lot of us have with this fixture but no one has mentioned Kiessling who is supposed to be one of hte biggest striker talents in germany. Him and Voronin could be a handfull. Plus if you look at the goals they score they tend to be very well build. Not just the odd fluke goal plus they arent too far from the top (exluded schalke and Werder) in germany.

That said I think we are in for a treat footballwise. Leverkusen has a reputation for playing a good bit of football and Rovers can too. As someone has mentioned though... Better play this one smart as a draw or a 2-1 loss actually is a very good reslut in two legged games.

Go on ROVERS. Lets go on and prove to europe we can do this=)!

Leverkusen are without injured defenders Juan and Roque Junior for the Uefa Cup last 32 tie on Wednesday. Captain Carsten Ramelow is still struggling after a knee operation, despite making a comeback in Saturday's 2-2 draw against Eintracht Frankfurt. (BBC)

Blackburn (451) - Friedel; Khizanishvilli, Nelson, Henchoz, Warnock; Emerton, Tugay, Mokoena, Dunn, Bentley; McCarthy (Guardian)

I think they could be right with the 4-5-1 formation, as others have mentioned in this thread. Mokoena in that special holding role that we all love, with Tugay directing things in the middle, Bentley and Bert getting forward to support McCarthy when possible, and Dunny huffing and puffing as he does. I'm relieved Warnock isn't cup-tied, and am reasonably confident about this. I think we might get a scoring defeat there and win at Ewood.

I can't see Hughes going 4-5-1, we haveb't played that much at all this season, why change the system?

With our injuries to key players we (ped/sav/reid/ooijer) we need their replacements eg Dunn/Zurab/Roberts etc to be on top form - we are due a good performance so I'm going for:

Germans 0 - 2 Rovers

Benni Mac

Tugay-wondergoal

Bayer Leverkusen v Blackburn

Leverkusen are without injured defenders Juan and Roque Junior for the Uefa Cup last 32 tie on Wednesday.

Captain Carsten Ramelow is still struggling after a knee operation, despite making a comeback in Saturday's 2-2 draw against Eintracht Frankfurt.

Blackburn defender Stephen Warnock is eligible even though he played in the Champions League for Liverpool.

Morten Gamst Pedersen (hamstring) and Matt Derbyshire (thigh) are out but David Dunn (dead leg) should be fit.

2 defenders out and possibly their captain. I think it will be a case of score as many as we can and hope we don't concede as many :P

Friedel, Emerton, Henchoz, Nelsen, Warnock, Bentley, Tugay, Mokoena, Dunn, Roberts and Benni

Subs: Encks, Todd, Zurab, Nonda, Jeffers, Gally and Peter

I would have stuck peter in, but obviously hughes thinks Dunn can last 90mins running up and down the left wing. Also has hughes fallen out with Zura? Henchoz seems to be ahead of him in the pecking order and i have no idea why!

Mr E: who? Only that captain bloke who was rated 50/50?

I read on some German site that Ramelow and Schneider were likely to miss this, but there they are...

I don't think it really matters, i would think hughes' staff have done the work on the injured players for the second leg anyway.

We're going to kick some german ass! :rover:

Archived