BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayer 3 Rovers 2

elwaxo

We really are just a small town in Europe. And once again this ‘small town’ takes to the road (skies) and heads out to play the so called cream of European football. This week against a team who were originally named ‘Turn- und Spielverein 1904 der Farbenfabrik vormals Friedrich Bayer Co. Leverkusen’. Difficult to chant and not all that great, the name was eventually changed to ‘Bayer 04 Leverkusen’. They are a work team from the massive company of ‘Bayer’, (which has nothing to do with the region of Germany called Bayern) who among other things, once owned the patent for aspirin. The club has an apparent 11,000 members who are connected indirectly with the company, football club or one the many other various sports clubs they run…basketball, ice hockey, a disabled sports club, boxing, something called ‘faustball’, a fencing club, handball, aerobics, nordic walking clubs, gymnastics, judo, volleyball, jazz dancing, yoga….im not making this up!!!….anyway you get the picture. As a result of their association with the huge business, industry and finances of the Bayer Company, they are known to other clubs in the Bundesliga as the ‘Plastikclub’. They hail, as im sure you all know, from the massive ‘ruhgebiet’…which is a huge conurbation of cities and industry, traditionally associated with coal mining. Not one of the most succesfull teams Germany has produced, but also no Birmingham City….ie….zero silverwear.

German Cup winners 1993

UEFA cup winners 1988

Champions League Runners up 2002

…..and have in the last ten years been runners up in the bundesliga 4 times.

Obviously, recent years have been better for 04, without really yielding anything solid by way of mutiple trophies. As we speak they sit 7th in the league, after having an up and down run through the winter.

I get the impression from the Bayer fans ive spoken to, that this game means a lot to them. As I think it does to us rovers too. They also seem to be very confident of their teams chances in this game, and don’t seem to know too much about us or our history, which for me is fine. We have here two teams with, in all honesty, no real chance of champions league qualification and whom are not yet looking likely to finish where they did last season. It must surely be seen as a chance to better last season, by progression in this competition.

We are, unfortunately, missing some key players for this first leg……; Reid, Savage & Pederson. We can perhaps include Ooijer in this bracket, because of his experience playing in Europe. And of course Sir Mathew Derbyshire of Ewood will be missed too.

From what ive seen of them whilst in Germany they seem a decent side, 4-4-2, I think. Carsten Ramelow and Bernt Schneider being my pick of the bunch. Their striker Barbarez is meant to be decent, but I cant say ive seen much of him. The 04 fans I spoke to have heard of Tugay, McCarthy and Pedersen from our ranks…..and a few of them remember the Bentley goal in this years UEFA cup.

Their first colours are red and black.....so itll be home v home kits both legs.

This is a link for a very fine brew-house which is in the area…http://www.hotel-haus-janes.de/

On the subject of beer, German beer is must for any brew enthusiasts. With over 1000 breweries in the country, its difficult not to find a unique and quality brew in any town you fancy visiting. The breweries follow the old Bavarian law of brewing their beer without any additives or xtra ######…..in a word they know their beer. The two main styles of beer in the ‘ruhpot’ are an old style beer ‘altbier’ that is dark and bitter, and comes from Duesseldorf and the Colognian beer ‘koelschbier’ which is crisp and clean and comes in rounds of small thin glasses…….i believe that leverkusen is closer to Cologne.

Back to the football…..

I myself am not 100% confident rovers will get through this one, but im confident that it will not be easy for them team….and that if one team wants to win this game, then the big players are going to have to give big games……weve got a few big game players (you never know, dunny might even be one of them)….we also have a few missing…either way im excited and it should be a great night.

Possible rovers lineup:??

Freidel

Zurab

Todd/Samba

Nelsen

Warnock

Emerton

Tugay

Bentley

Dunn

Roberts/Gallagher

McCarthy

MY PREDICTION:

Rovers 2 Leverkusen 2

Dunn & McCarthy

…………and then we win the 2nd leg 5-0 ;)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Preview Elwaxo.

Quite hard to predict anything for this game, as I do not know too much about Bayer Leverkusen.

Hopefully the traveling barmy army from Blackburn can get behind our players and give them that extra push to get something from the game.

A win would be great however a draw would give us a great oppotunity of progressing.

Result - Leverkusen 1 - Rovers 1 (Bentley)

Good preview Elwaxo - thanks.

Well, I cannot wait for this game. We leave from L'pool tuesday am and only return on Saturday, so we should have loads of time to check out Koln.

Not like Feyenoord - we were in and out like thieves <_<

As for Bayer, they sound like a alf decent side, but I am convinced that we have enough not to lose there, and turn them over at Ewood.

I know the atmosphere from the Rovers fans will be immense in Bayer, I just hope we can get some sort of atmosphere at Ewood to urge the team on.

The next two weeks will define our season - come on Rovers, make it a season to remember.

Nice preview, not up on my German football so some useful information for the likes of myself.

Think we have to close up on this one and play a negative game away from home, not bothered about the performance just keep the tie alive for a crazy night (or early evening) at Ewood. Very excited about the game that goes without saying, I feel this competition is our most important one and i also think we can go far.

I know it won't be popular with the traveling fans but i say 0-0 and would be happy with this score given our injury list.

Have fun over there guys.

have to say I disagree about rearranging the line-up so much. Bentley has been great on the right all season, he should stay there, Dunn and Tugay will work best in the center. We'll just have to find someone to fill that left side...maybe Peter, or Warnock as rumored.

I thought Pedersen woul be available for this one, ho hum.

I take it Berner is cup tied. Did he paly against us in the group stage?

If Berner can't play I would guess the team would be as put by Elwaxo but with Samba and Roberts defo starting. I would like to see Peter get a shot on the left but as he didn't make the 16 against Everton its probably unlikely.

Witgh the injuries we have a draw would be ab excellent result. 1-1

Berner and Samba are both cup tied.

I can see Peter being given a start on the left.

I think we will see the return of the Axe - playing alongside Tugay - with Bentley back in his best position on the wing. I have a feeling that the reason the Axe didn't play against Everton - is that he is only one booking away from a ban and Hughes felt he needed him for the Bolton/Arsenal match - but I could be barking up the wrong tree.

It should be an interesting game - a lot will depend on Tugay and whether he can summon out the stamina to play three matches in such a short time. If fit - this could also be a good game for Dunn - I feel his style of play could be well suited to Europe.

Bloody hell Eddie we are not really playing that bad and as an English team embark into what was formerly enemy territory I see an English triumph. Okay, we may not get a win but this club has players capable fo getting a draw and/or scoring a vital away goal.

Leverkusen are not a Bayern Munich stature wise, they are certainly at this present time no better than Feyenoord, Salzburg or Krakow were Rovers have remained unbeaten away from home in this years european competition. They struggled to a last minute draw this weekend and since the restart of the German season have struggled with home form as well as getting some of the star players injured.

Rovers have injury problems so for me it has to be the 4-5-1 formation. Like it or not this is one game where it has to be necessary.

For me, Rovers have to adopt a defensive stance and put a foot hold in the leg.

Team

Freidel

Zurab

Nelsen

Todd

Warnock

Emerton

Bentley

Tugay

Dunn/Axe

Gally/Peter

McCarthey

That 11 is flexible enogh to allow a revert to 4-4-2 if required. Its solid through the middle and also provides the facility for quick counter attacking football on the break.

7 subs will consist of Robert,Jeffers,Nonda,Peter,Enckleman/Brown,Gray and possibly one of the 2 alternatives if not both.

For me ? I'm taking the 1-1 option.

Rovers are more than capable of coping with Leverkusen and are certainly capable of scoring goals. On form we are far better prepared to bury once and for all that Germany/England bogey.

Not too long now................

Unfortunately I can't see us walking away with anything from this one, Lever have extremely good players (if they are available) in their run on team. They have suffered IMO with the loss of Berbatov but still are solid with two brazilian internationals in Juan and Roque Junior and very very good midfeild Freier, Babic, Ramelow and Schneider, the forward line is a mystery

Both Juan & Roque Junior are injured as are quite a few other. Leverkusen are nowhere near as good as they were a few years ago and are struggling for form at the moment. If we play it tight and are smart in defence I can see us getting a draw or possiby even sneaking a win. Is Warnock Cup tied?

If not then i'd like to see a team with Friedel, Emerton, Nelsen, Todd, Warnock, Bentley, Tugay, Dunn, Peter, McCarthy, Roberts.

I wouldn't play Mokawoka in midfied unless we are protecting a lead. Never more so than in Europe is it crucial to retain posession so he would be too much of a liability in this one.

IF Bentley's back at right mid, who have we got to partner Tugay in midfield (apart from Mokoena...?) :unsure::(

It would be nice for Peter to start against a German team and perhaps Hughes will take advantage of the extra motivation Sergio is likely to have to impress.

If we had a half-decent DM, I'd say we can nick this one. But as it is, 2-1 Bayer.

In total disagreement to a few on here - play it tight but negative is one thing we can't be in this game - we need to score. Everytime we play negative /go for a draw, it backfires

Quite obvious we started offf negative at Everton and look what happened and it could have been more.

We have got the players to win this game even with a couple missing, we have just got to believe it.

A draw will be good enough, however if Spurs can go there and beat them, then I am sure as hell we can but we need to score.

When the restless North Sea is

trying to gain more land

And a merciless west wind

steals my breath

When the fierce waves are pounding on the beaches

Plain as an endless desert

Or uttermost vile storms are

Teaching my people humbleness

Then one can see my land resist

There one can see my land fight

As gloomy grey skies

Cast away the northern sun

I turn home... Always turn home

And our cities and villages

Representing centuries and centuries

Seem to drown due to eternal rainfall

Or the rivers turn into Gold

Fatherland! I always turn to my Fatherland!

Fatherland! Keep on turning to my Fatherland!

Fatherland! Always turn to my Fatherland!

Our cities seem to drown

Due to eternal rainfall

I watch the rivers

Turn into Gold

Under a genial sun

When snow capped forests

Create visions larger than life

Then I realise where I belong

My eyes have seen the continents

The beauty of foreign civilisations

An uncontrollable desire forces me to wander

Yet echoes of melancholy and remembering

The splendour being mine (make me turn home)

Where castles and towers are the sole mountains

And father time seems to have less grip

Where castles and towers are the sole mountains

There my land can be found

Fatherland! Keep on coming to my Fatherland!

In total disagreement to a few on here - play it tight but negative is one thing we can't be in this game - we need to score. Everytime we play negative /go for a draw, it backfires

Quite obvious we started offf negative at Everton and look what happened and it could have been more.

We have got the players to win this game even with a couple missing, we have just got to believe it.

A draw will be good enough, however if Spurs can go there and beat them, then I am sure as hell we can but we need to score.

I think we all just want the tie to be alive for the Ewood game. Lets face it our squad is very thin and we need to play smart. I'am pretty nervous about this game and I usually take an optimistic view on Rovers, think its because the game is so important, as I for one want to do really well in Europe for a change.

Lets face it our squad is very thin and we need to play smart.

Agree with your post however there is playing smart and playing neagative.

Our squad is thin but could be even more thinner (or vice versa) by the time we play the return leg. We have made the big mistake before of thinking we have done the hardwork and then messed it up at home.

Get the job done now and worry about the home leg after the match.

I'm totally the opposite - normally I am very pessimistic but I a more confident we can get something in this game rather than the home leg.

Archived