BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayer 3 Rovers 2

elwaxo

Well Nonda has kept us in it and you'd think and hope that we have enough to beat Leverkusen at home. But can anybody see us keeping a clean sheet at present? As somebody else said Leverkusen were there for the taking tonight and we didn't capitalise...but given the way the game panned out with 5 minutes left we would all have taken it.

Finally we really should think about wrapping Bentley up in cotton wool-all of our chances came through him in the first half and when he looked nackered in the second we didn't create anything. Tugs is having a little off spell at the moment which is never good when you have the limited options that we have at present in the centre.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-2 isn't the result we wanted but it still keeps us in the tie.

Crucial goal from Nonda and credit to Rovers who didn't give up. Defending was poor, gave away some stupid free kicks, Henchoz especially in the first half. No idea what McCarthy was doing for their first goal.

Bit of luck for our first goal and their second, all in all I'll take 3-2. Hopefully with a bit of luck the likes of Pedersen will be back for the return leg who will give us something different. I think Mokoena misses the next UEFA Game through suspension but we do need somebody better than him in that position IMO if we're to go any further in this competition.

My player verdicts.

Friedel - 7 - Conceded 3 but not at fault for any. Not an awful lot else to do.

Emerton - 6 - Got turned a couple of times early. Didnt do an awful lot going forward but when he does press on never gets the ball off bentley.

Nelson - 7 - Solid enough and one great defensive header out at the end just after we'd equalised.

Henchoz - 6 - Again solid for most of the game but lack of pace means he tends to leave too much space between him and the opposition.

Warnock - 6 - Started well but at fault for the 3rd goal. He's already learnt a Rovers trait of being too fancy at the back.

The Axe - 6 - He did the sticking his foot in job very well and also tried to get forward to support the attack as Tugs couldnt. Too many sloppy passes as usual though.

Tugay - 4 - Saw very little of him. Obviously tired in those conditions and struggled to close down.

Dunn - 4 - Very little of the ball on the left wing. Obviously not fit and looked knackered when he come off. Missed good chance.

Bentley - 8 - Awesome first half pushing a 10. However nowhere near as influencial in the second half and caught in possession late on a few times.

Roberts - 5 - Did some good things but more bad. Is obviously good at turning defenders with strenght but touch was off. However will be remembered for a shocking, shocking miss.

McCarthy - 5 - Lacked effort and something looks amiss at the minute. Runs offside too much and makes little effort to get back onside. Silly foul then player-watching for first goal.

Subs

Nonda - 7 - Excellent strike to pull us level. Did his job. (but see McCarthy comments re: offside)

Peter - 6 - Tried to get involved.

I know Joe Royle kept mentioning it but he was right, as good a ref as you'll get in europe I feel.

Looking at my marks you wouldnt think we'd scored 2 and conceded three as I've criticised the forwards more than the defenders, but indiviual mistakes cost us.

Still well in this but I do feel the lack of Oooijer, Reid, Savage, Pedersen and Derbyshire is not putting major strain on the squad. This is a big, big week and we're bending but fortunately 3-2 down means we've not buckled. Any win at home should be good enough to see us through barring another goal fest. Although Henchoz didnt do anything awfully wrong I still would be happier with Zurab at the back.

Excellent support by the blue and white following. Came across well on TV.

Any of the board members involved in the cringeworthy valentines day interviews? :lol:

I do wonder how much blame we can lay at the blame of the midfield for our poor defence - or for Mark Hughes not reacting to the way they played.

Their formation had a single forward player - with three just behind in the attacking midfield role - no wonder we were occasionally over-run just in front of our back four.

For me I thought the Axe had one of his better games - but is still no defensive midfield player in a four man midfield. Dunn looked slow and off the pace - but showed the odd touch which showed what he is all about. I was a little surprised that Dunn started rather than Peter - but hind sight is a wonderful thing.

Tugay showed that he has played far too many games this season - and they are really catching up with him. Why we didn't loan a midfield player during the transfer window - heaven knows.

Still on the bright side - Roberts, Dunn and Nelsen get another match under their belts. And Nonda's goal keeps the tie alive. If we can tighten up at the back - I would be surprised if we can't score enough goals at Ewood to get through. Though keeping tight at the back will be easier said than done at the moment.

Good Result, but should have deserved more. Slack defending from Benni (But he is a forward) and Warnock (just get it out of there and don't mess around with it). Considering the conditions also I thought we did ok and hopefully get a result at Ewood.

I also thought that the Rovers fans were a credit, and I could hear them throughout the match.

Unofficial Mod-mode On

Shall we try and put comments on the match itself in this match preview thread, and comments on peoples experiences in the other thread.

Official Mod - mode on.

Posts moved :rolleyes:

Edit - my message changed to make sense again as post moved. :rolleyes:

Nonda may have saved us, but the big changed must happen in our defending. We can't defend like a joke in Europe, what we did for the 3rd goal especially was ridiculous. We had a few problems in midfield too, which ofcourse was to be expected as pretty much everyone is injured there. Bentley though was our man of the match again, he did everything it seems. Upfront Roberts again did nothing, he's really coming up at his last chances I think, and Benni made a lot of mistakes. I really don't know about the 2nd game, looks like both teams still have their chances, but we definitely need to improve at the back a lot. Having MGP should be a huge lift as well.

oh and...

I read on some German site that Ramelow and Schneider were likely to miss this, but there they are...

just sayin'... <_<

Got very lucky at the death but we deserved a bit, we're right back in a game we looked like throwing away.They absolutely murdered our midfield, passed and moved across and through us all night, our tempo was poor and our pressing game was none existent, it reminded me of a pre-season friendly.Team selection was strange, I can't see A) that Dunny or Roberts was match fit B) were Moekoena fits in the midfield plan,C) what Henchoz has got that Todd Or Zurab haven't got. All I know is if we play like that in the next leg we'll get beat simple as that.

When that 3rd goal ( an absolute howler ) went in heads went down all through the team and for the next 30 mins they toyed with us, we were awful on the ball consisently playing each other into trouble, it was only complacency on their part that let us back in at the end, even when we got it to 3-2 unmarked runners were still breaking into our box!

Scores------ Friedel 6 ,Froze for the first goal.

Emerton 6 , Did ok.

Henchoz 6 , Vulnerable to runners again.

Nelsen 6 , Don't know what he was trying to do for the 2nd goal.

Warnock 6 , Couple of good runs early on, gave away the 3rd goal.

Bentley 8 , Looked class but needs to be a bit less selfish near goal, gets robbed too easily in dangerous areas.

Mokoena 6 , Fish out of water playing in their half, I don't understand the plan.

Tugay 6 , Couldn't get into the game, should play in their half more.

Dunn 5 , Barely touched the ball, patently not fit, tried hard not to looked too pleased when he came off.

Roberts 5 , Not match fit, I think it was him who missed that 1st minute sitter, could have been oh so different !

Mc Carthy 5 , Couldn't really be bothered apart from a bit of pushing at the end.

Subs Nonda, scored a vital goal, Peter, hardly had a touch, Todd , Ditto.

Commentators- Crap T.V. production - Worse, was it me or did any body else feel that it was like watching a game down the wrong end of a telescope?

Omit smiley face ,should be a capital bee

Much better coverage on channel 5 than ruddy British Eurosport.

You must be joking. John Helm hadn't got a clue: -

Roberts' first appearance since West Ham away?

Stephen Warnock sent off in the FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday??

Identifying the Rovers' subs as Leverkusen's

Blaming McCarthy for the first minute miss?

Clearly he had no idea who Sergio Peter was when the German director showed him twice in the first half

When Peter came on they both admitted they had no information on him at all except that he was German.

German TV direction left a lot to be desired as well. Nice to see shots of the Rovers' support but not when there was play going on.

Will he definetely be back, hope so, Dunny looked really tired tonight <_<

to be fair, most of the players looked tired imo.

there was a spell between 60-80 mins where we just let them have it rather than up the pace and close down quickly.

some of it must of been shock at the score line, 3-1 down just didn't seem right.

Decent result but should and could have been better.

We Did'nt close them down early enough, especially thier midfielders who had too much time on the ball and enough time to pull the trigger.

There 2nd and 3rd goals were very lucky.

2nd goal - Could have gone for a corner but again we didn't close them down early,McCarthy our closest player did'nt bother.

3rd goal - Warnock gave it away to easily and on some other day it could have gone off fr a goal kick from the post.

We really missed Robbie today!!

Well, hopefully there will be at least a couple less of the home support at Ewood. There were some real idiots there tonight. All of the scum from the bottom of the Blackburn ponds must have made its way here. They were (again) mostly people I've never seen before so aren't regular away travellers.

Two guys, either in their late 30s or early 40s, started a fight. I suspect they were drunk- they looked it. No idea what about, doubt they did either. Lots of others tried to get in on the act, mot of the spotty Burberry scum. The stewards, who were useless, tried to stop it, but in the end it was the police who took them away. Rovers must get the names of the people involved and ban them for life (although from what I heard all of the people subject to banning orders were there so I supect they'd fail to act).

Then there were the other pond scum. One guy behind me referred to Roberts as a black b***ard, Dunn as a fat b***ard and everyone else as f***ing w**kers. He's one I wouldn't mind losing as well.

The game was truly awful. We were lucky to get back to 3-2. Bentley was our only really GOOD player. Dunn was worth the start for the pass to Bentley which gave Roberts the sitter that he missed. He was also one of the few making accurate passes of over 2 feet. Mokoena wasn't half as bad as most of you would like to think. He made a couple of good interceptions and damn near scored. Nelsen's a long way from fit, and Henchoz is always being caught out. Todd must start. Tugay's imaginary friend was everywhere tonight, and Warnock I thought was going to crawl under the nearest stone when he lost the ball for the third goal- poor guy!

The pitch was very heavy and the ball didn't seem to want to travel. That meant Emerton was never going to be much use. Benni didn't fancy it and Roberts was no bloody good. Friedel was, well, there. Most of the time.

That said, Nonda's goal means we have a chance. There's also the chance that both Gamst and Derbs will be back, which might help. We have yet hope!

By the way, Leverkusen have heaters in the roof, which means it's nice and warm, even on a cold night. I'd pay good cash money for that at Ewood!

Well, hopefully there will be at least a couple less of the home support at Ewood. There were some real idiots there tonight. All of the scum from the bottom of the Blackburn ponds must have made its way here. They were (again) mostly people I've never seen before so aren't regular away travellers.

Two guys, either in their late 30s or early 40s, started a fight. I suspect they were drunk- they looked it. No idea what about, doubt they did either. Lots of others tried to get in on the act, mot of the spotty Burberry scum. The stewards, who were useless, tried to stop it, but in the end it was the police who took them away. Rovers must get the names of the people involved and ban them for life (although from what I heard all of the people subject to banning orders were there so I supect they'd fail to act).

Then there were the other pond scum. One guy behind me referred to Roberts as a black b***ard, Dunn as a fat b***ard and everyone else as f***ing w**kers. He's one I wouldn't mind losing as well.

The game was truly awful. We were lucky to get back to 3-2. Bentley was our only really GOOD player. Dunn was worth the start for the pass to Bentley which gave Roberts the sitter that he missed. He was also one of the few making accurate passes of over 2 feet. Mokoena wasn't half as bad as most of you would like to think. He made a couple of good interceptions and damn near scored. Nelsen's a long way from fit, and Henchoz is always being caught out. Todd must start. Tugay's imaginary friend was everywhere tonight, and Warnock I thought was going to crawl under the nearest stone when he lost the ball for the third goal- poor guy!

The pitch was very heavy and the ball didn't seem to want to travel. That meant Emerton was never going to be much use. Benni didn't fancy it and Roberts was no bloody good. Friedel was, well, there. Most of the time.

That said, Nonda's goal means we have a chance. There's also the chance that both Gamst and Derbs will be back, which might help. We have yet hope!

By the way, Leverkusen have heaters in the roof, which means it's nice and warm, even on a cold night. I'd pay good cash money for that at Ewood!

Well Jan, I think your post is the nearest so far to the way I saw the match on Chan 5. I too thought Mokoena did OK and Tugs had a nightmare. Dunny was clearly not fit and should have been subbed off much sooner, but he did make a couple of good touches including a header just before he was subbed that might have scored for us.

As for the people that are knocking the TV presentation; I thought it was a vast improvement on the usual Rovers Knocking rubbish from all the Sky lot, and BBC lot as well. OK so they made a couple of boobs in their understanding of the players recent history, but at least the whole team of them were showing true support for the Rovers as a British team in Europe, which makes a refreshing change.

Saw the last 20 mins of the first half and the first 10-15 of the second. Bentley definitely looked to be class, unfortunately, he had some great crosses go to no one. When we finally get consistent service into the penalty area, no one is there to take advantage of it.

As for the people that are knocking the TV presentation; I thought it was a vast improvement on the usual Rovers Knocking rubbish from all the Sky lot, and BBC lot as well. OK so they made a couple of boobs in their understanding of the players recent history, but at least the whole team of them were showing true support for the Rovers as a British team in Europe, which makes a refreshing change.

I'll agree with that - they were clearly giving the impression that they wanted Rovers to win, but they were woefully underprepared.

I would suggest that this (and recent performances) shows the people on here who know nothing about football and maintain that all Sav does is run around like a headless chicken, just how important he is to our team. On top of that, we seem to be playing with 10 men because I'd say both Ryan and Dunny are some way from full "Rovers" fitness - but that will come with games. And I hope Roberts is just rusty, and not Shefki Kuqi in disguise...

Well, hopefully there will be at least..... ....for that at Ewood!

That's a great post Jan. Called the match exactly as I saw it.

Mrs F has confirmed the fighting on the phone. Unbelievable. Sad stuff. I wasn't there so won't comment.

Can only comment on the match, since my finances are restricted these days; but Jan's post sums it up quite accurately.

I don't really agree with Dunn being one of our worst players, like some people try to tell us, I think he did well - but he's a long way from being that hardworking winger MGP can provide us with. He had some good touches and passed the ball well, but he's just not looking very quick. We did miss Gamst Pedersen today, but still I think Dunny could do a good job for us in a more central position. As for Warnock, he still looks a gem- but as Jan mentions, not a very good involvement on the third goal.

Still; 3-2 isn't that bad - this team doesn't scare me one bit. Our defence and Bentley missing on the other hand..

Archived