BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayer 3 Rovers 2

elwaxo

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but you did say somebody complaining about our own fans fighting is not a real football fan.

You don't have to fight to not be in the "prawn sandwich" brigade

Agree with ya second point. I never said that either. Her complaint is more than just against an isolated incident.

Well, hopefully there will be at least a couple less of the home support at Ewood. There were some real idiots there tonight. All of the scum from the bottom of the Blackburn ponds must have made its way here. They were (again) mostly people I've never seen before so aren't regular away travellers.

Two guys, either in their late 30s or early 40s, started a fight. I suspect they were drunk- they looked it. No idea what about, doubt they did either. Lots of others tried to get in on the act, mot of the spotty Burberry scum. The stewards, who were useless, tried to stop it, but in the end it was the police who took them away. Rovers must get the names of the people involved and ban them for life (although from what I heard all of the people subject to banning orders were there so I supect they'd fail to act).

Then there were the other pond scum. One guy behind me referred to Roberts as a black b***ard, Dunn as a fat b***ard and everyone else as f***ing w**kers. He's one I wouldn't mind losing as well.

The game was truly awful. We were lucky to get back to 3-2. Bentley was our only really GOOD player. Dunn was worth the start for the pass to Bentley which gave Roberts the sitter that he missed. He was also one of the few making accurate passes of over 2 feet. Mokoena wasn't half as bad as most of you would like to think. He made a couple of good interceptions and damn near scored. Nelsen's a long way from fit, and Henchoz is always being caught out. Todd must start. Tugay's imaginary friend was everywhere tonight, and Warnock I thought was going to crawl under the nearest stone when he lost the ball for the third goal- poor guy!

The pitch was very heavy and the ball didn't seem to want to travel. That meant Emerton was never going to be much use. Benni didn't fancy it and Roberts was no bloody good. Friedel was, well, there. Most of the time.

That said, Nonda's goal means we have a chance. There's also the chance that both Gamst and Derbs will be back, which might help. We have yet hope!

By the way, Leverkusen have heaters in the roof, which means it's nice and warm, even on a cold night. I'd pay good cash money for that at Ewood!

Good Post, Jan..

Interesting thought the heaters on the roof.. a prompt email to Mr. J Williams!

One other thought:

By 'Tugay's Imaginary Friend was everywhere' are you saying he was Man of the Match?

But all seriousness-- it is a terrible shame that having done so well up to the present in the Premiership, Cups & Europe to now we are starting to feel the strain for having our big hod carriers Reidy and Savage out injured. Lousy fortune for Rovers.

I too also agree with most here : C'mon Sparky, get Toddy back out there w/ the Admiral!

Just reading through the posts there are numerous views on this game, so I thought I'd add my view!

Firstly, I know a few have complained but I didn't think Five's coverage was all that bad, alright the commentator did seem to enjoy giving out pointless stats and information but at least they were actually behind Rovers and wanted them to win, a refreshing change to the usual anti rovers slant we're used to on Sky and BBC.

Now down to the match....

All in all I would class the performance as average, in what were difficult conditions. The thing that we have to remember before being too critical is the number of players we have missing: Reid, Savage, Derbyshire, Pedersen for a start, then add to that a patched up starting 11 including Nelsen and Dunn who are still some way short of match fitness and you can see why this was not one of our better displays. Taking this into account I thought the team did OK, and 3-2 is a reasonably good result with the two away goals. Defensivley we struggled no doubt, we really lacked pace at the back and some of the positioning was questionable to say the least.

Going forward I thought we were better, Roberts looked pretty sharp to say he's been out so long, Bentley played well although I just wish he would release the ball sometimes instead having a few extra touches or trying to go it alone. There were a couple of occassions 2nd half where Bert was in an excellent position on the overlap and Bentley cut inside.

Tugay was very very quiet, only came into it in the last 10 minutes. Dunn looked short on fitness, but that 360 spin on the far side in the first half was amazing! Went totally un-noticed by the commentry team though!

Its just a shame it wasn't two weeks between legs as we might have more troops available for the battle. Still think we will go though, winning 3-2 at Ewood and winning on penalties!! :lol:

Perhaps BPotter... I'd much rather throw up a clean sheet and do just enough scoring to get through. I'd rather not let the Germans off to a similar start to last evening's match.

A fitter Admiral, Toddy and an INSPIRED Maestro to spell the difference at Ewood (He prays).

Perhaps BPotter... I'd much rather throw up a clean sheet and do just enough scoring to get through. I'd rather not let the Germans off to a similar start to last evening's match.

A fitter Admiral, Toddy and an INSPIRED Maestro to spell the difference at Ewood (He prays).

Funnily enough that was my first thought, 1-0 at Ewood. But after consideration of last nights defensive performance I just couldn't see us keeping a clean sheet.

The Admiral and Dunny will both be another game towards full fitness, so maybe, just maybe!

For christ sake come off your high horse! Go and follow man utd or celtic in europe and u'l see some real pondlife! Its actually boffins like you thats starting to put off the likes of me and my mates who are real football people and BLACKBURN lads following rovers away

Followed Celtic in Europe. Not seen people who pretend to be fans of the same team knocking lumps out of each other.

While the term boffin doesn't offend me, as I'm sure you intended it should, I do think that if you thought that behaviour was acceptable then you probably ARE one of the people we could do without.

How many of us were there yesterday ?

I heard the figure of 1200, pretty good i reckon.

Take it Jan your trip to Germany wasn't up to much?

I thought the C5 coverage was well good, everyone form Colin Murry to Joe Royal wanted us to win and seemed gutted when we let the goals in. The home crowd was great to, with the fella on his little platform and his microphone conducting the crowd, we should do that.

Come on 'Guys n Gals' we are well in the tie, you could even say we have the upper hand lets get them back to Ewood and see what we can do.

I don't mind Colin Murray. He always seems on our side.

The main commentator was clueless though, and everytime he mentioned how Benni missed a sitter in the first few minutes I kept shouting IT WAS ROBERTS, IT WAS FCKING ROBERTS! He also obviously didn't do his homework on Sergio Peter as he was banging on about how he was one of the Leverkusen subs.

Well after calming down my reflections on last night.

The usual happened - just got in -switch on the TV just as they take the freekick and score (always happens , same with the blimmin radio).

We where awful - yet still managed to get a out of Jail card. Although not Ideal IMO us being 1 down means we will have to at least have an offensive attitude at home rather than say holding on waiting for them to make a mistake such as if we had made a draw lets hope we don't mess up as before thinking we have done the hard work, and hope the away red strip voodoo doesn't strike.

Reminded me of the Feyenoord game - started off well and should have been 1 if not 2 nil up early doors but then totally lost our way yet still had chances to win the game, but let down by lack of idea and creativity.

Thought Mokoena did ok last night as well - but should he not have been the one closing down Ramelow for the deflected shot (very similar goal to what krakow scored - coincidence?). Still don't think he offers enough though.

Defending we where absolutely diabolical

TUGAY was very bad again - is his time up?

McCarthy - again absolutely useless especially for their openeing goal (another first for an opposition player) and can somebody please take them gloves off him and tell him to get his fingers out his arse- what's that now 6/7 games in a row where he has done hardly anything and doesn't look like being remotely interested.

Roberts - Tried hard and willing to give him time, but as others have said possibly just a slightly better version of Kuqi

Bentley yet again our man of the match - creates yet has nobody without Pedersen on the same wavelength except for possibly Bert.

DUNN & NELSEN - obviously not fit enough, in fact that cushioned lay back that went to nobody would have probably been volleyed into the back of the net in his early days.

Yet again - WTF where our corners about?

What it also showed imo again last night, just how laborious we are attacking and flat footed we are to the second ball and anticipating crosses etc.

Credit for last night

BENTLEY - MOM

EMERTON - Tried on a greasy pitch

MOKOENA - Did better than previous performances

FANS - For what seemed like continuous backing of the lads despite the awful performance and weather.

Anyway, on last nights performance we won't go very much further if we get through , but at least we have a chance now.

LETS NOT MAKE A MESS OF IT ROVERS.

Agree with most of that Capt. except for the fact I thought Bert was awful - he's back to his dismal form of the last 4 seasons imo.

The TV commentators blamed McCarthy for the first goal, I thought it was more down to Emerton. He got sucked out of position into the centre but nevertheless should have had a straightforward header clear. Instead he somehow managed to duck underneath the ball - inexcusable for a professional footballer. On a similar note there was absolutely no excuse for a professional player missing the chance Roberts did in the first couple of minutes - and that would have changed the course of the game.

We kept shooting ourselves in the foot last night, what was Nelsen trying to do with the second? We also had several chances to clear the ball before Warnock finally cocked up for the third, but kept playing the ball back from a position of relative safety into the danger area. Unbelievable! Having said that I thought Leverkusen were poor and we were the better side throughout apart from the period between their third and Nonda's crucial strike.

Despite our defensive shortcomings last night 3-2 is a pretty good result, almost as good as 0-0 (we would still have to win 1-0) and I think we can certainly turn them over in a week's time if we can only iron out the said defensive frailties.

Rev,

We've done OK in very difficult circumstances (injuries/new players/players coming back from injury, so a 3-2 is a decent result.

On the detail: i thought Emerton did OK. Tugay is palying two games a week - what do you expect of him?

We were not awful, just OK.

let's have a balanced account.

Rev,

We've done OK in very difficult circumstances (injuries/new players/players coming back from injury, so a 3-2 is a decent result.

On the detail: i thought Emerton did OK. Tugay is palying two games a week - what do you expect of him?

We were not awful, just OK.

let's have a balanced account.

I thought I said 3-2 was "a pretty good result" as well.

Bottom line imo was that we were playing a poor side we should have seen off relatively comfortably on the balance of play, yet we contrived to defend certain situations so badly that it somehow nearly ended up in a tie ending two goal defeat.

The TV commentators blamed McCarthy for the first goal, I thought it was more down to Emerton. He got sucked out of position into the centre but nevertheless should have had a straightforward header clear. Instead he somehow managed to duck underneath the ball - inexcusable for a professional footballer.

No sound where I was watching Rev, but I saw it the same as you, the case of the ducking full back (following in a long tradition of right backs losing headers........). Suppose if Benni had've been goalside of his man then he might have stopped their lad getting his header on target, but I'd lay most of the blame with Bert I'm afraid.

No sound where I was watching Rev, but I saw it the same as you, the case of the ducking full back (following in a long tradition of right backs losing headers........). Suppose if Benni had've been goalside of his man then he might have stopped their lad getting his header on target, but I'd lay most of the blame with Bert I'm afraid.

Possible, and was something the analysts brought up after the game - as mentioned soon as I switched on the TV they scored - So I blame the voodoo that is CK and the ironic spooky happening that with TV or Radio if I just tune in we always concede a goal - honetly you would not believe how many times this has happened - especially on the radio.

However, Bert does this quite regularly just watch (I have commented upon it and his ducking out of headers) and agree we do appear to have got Bert MKI back, but it was McCarthy who was marking the man and as usual which annoys me about alot of players he tried to block the man rather than concentrate on winning the ball, which is strange as he is quite good in air. Also I think some of the blame can also be laid at Friedal - another thing I have mentioned re us conceding from set pieces, as the keeper he should be in control of his areas and directing the players and he was a little rooted to the spot when their player headed the ball.

Followed Celtic in Europe. Not seen people who pretend to be fans of the same team knocking lumps out of each other.

While the term boffin doesn't offend me, as I'm sure you intended it should, I do think that if you thought that behaviour was acceptable then you probably ARE one of the people we could do without.

You obviously weren't at the away leg of Celtic's game against Artmedia Bratislave then.

If you look the man he is marking actually gets a hold of him (or gives him a push I can't quite remember), which makes it harder for him to compete for the header. He could still have done better, but it wasn't as if he just decided not to go for it.

I don't mind Colin Murray. He always seems on our side.

The main commentator was clueless though, and everytime he mentioned how Benni missed a sitter in the first few minutes I kept shouting IT WAS ROBERTS, IT WAS FCKING ROBERTS! He also obviously didn't do his homework on Sergio Peter as he was banging on about how he was one of the Leverkusen subs.

Fairplay i remember that now, but still it was nice to hear the C5 team getting behind us.

- as mentioned soon as I switched on the TV they scored - So I blame the voodoo that is CK and the ironic spooky happening that with TV or Radio if I just tune in we always concede a goal.

Don't blame yourself entirely Capt ;) . I can't get C5 at home so went to the local to watch, same place where I'd gone to for watching the Krakow game. Each time, just before half time, we concede a deflected long range goal to go behind. I'll be calling in at Ladbrokes on my way there next time.

Rum do this. We reckon to have a physically superfit team yet we looked ponderous next to Bayer just as we did v Nancy. Nobody looking for the ball and running into space therefore pressurising the player on the ball to give it away. Their 3rd goal was testamant to that and most of the second half we needed 2-3 touches to do what Bayer did in 1 or 2!

Even Tugay cannot perform if the other players are unwilling to work off the ball and run into spaces.

Apart from creating what should have been the opening goal for Roberts to unbelievably miss Dunn looked like an old knackered carthorse and must be embarrassed by his own lack of fitness. Peter must be in front of him for the LW spot.

Nelsen and Henchoz also allowed far too many long balls to drop in our box.

Poor performance yet we are in a much better position in the tie than we deserve. I dont think our UEFA lucky streak can last much longer...... can it?

Archived