BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Depression

• 3 weeks later...

Bravado mate and a speedy recovery.

To help you along some.

Try and do something positive on a daily basis and congratulate yourself. If you cant do anything positive and all seems lost, take a deep breath and have a brew and reflect on how you might have approached the problem in a differnet way. A positive can be brought out of any negative.

Remember to talk ! Words are worth any treatment offered by way of tablet or prescription.

Dont skulk around, go for a walk. A breath of resh air will clear your mind sweeping away the negative vibes.

Dont watch tv too much especially the morning programmes, they are full of depressives and can only be negative.

Keep off alcohol and caffiene try fruit juices and water, detox yourself cmpletely and give up nicotine.

Now then best of luck..........

BTW that will be 350 quid for 10 minutes work !!!! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry to drag such an old topic but I'm looking for abit of adivce really.

I got diangnosed a couple months ago with deperssion and was on the road to recovery and then things kept happening that sent me back into it.

I started running to get in the Army but I noticed that after a run I fealt better so I've obviously stuck at it, I've now been told by my doctor to stop running due to having a hernia. I've done all the other stuff, cut down on alcohol and changed my diet eat more fruit and veg.

Just want to know if anyone can think of a subsitute for the running part as I dont want to make my hernia worse, was causing me server discomfort yesterday due to the point where I couldn't walk and I don't want to get like that again.

Running releases a natural happy chemical in the brain, its name eludes me at the minute. I suppose I could try walking around abit and hope it gives the same effect as running.

Regarding swimming maybe, I think I would have to check with my doctor.

Cheers for the quick responses, going to go see my doctor again about swimming.

Running releases a natural happy chemical in the brain, its name eludes me at the minute. I suppose I could try walking around abit and hope it gives the same effect as running.

Endorphins?

Like Alan K says - swimming should do the trick and possibly cycling if possible.

Regarding swimming maybe, I think I would have to check with my doctor.

Cheers for the quick responses, going to go see my doctor again about swimming.

Any kind of physical activity releases endorphins. Distance running and jogging for prolonged periods puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the joints. It feels great to really push yourself, but it can cause a lot of injury related problems.

I would suggest cycling - you still get the same outdoor feeling (I much prefer sports out doors) and the chance of injury is far more remote. Also, I'd suggest joining a 5-a-side football team or something. Goals do a great weekly competition at locations all over the country. You also get to be part of a team and might meet some friends. Most importantly, whatever you do, don't push yourself through injury, no matter how much you want to. Something that might mean a couple of weeks out might turn into a two months lay off.

I see that you're 20 years old. Are you at uni / college / between jobs / unemployed etc? As a student, and being a similar age, possibly the best thing I have done in the last eighteen months to help with my depression has been to get into a regular pattern, getting up the same time no matter what. It's hard to explain, but routine helps so, so much.

It's also really good to have a feeling of purpose to your life, especially if you are out of work. It could be forcing yourself into working hard at University, or even something like researching Blackburn Rovers history or writing a book or something.

Every time you are feeling low, give a friend or family member a ring, meet up, go down the pub, watch a film. Just that company can make a huge difference.

Hope that's helpful.

Just want to know if anyone can think of a subsitute for the running part as I dont want to make my hernia worse, was causing me server discomfort yesterday due to the point where I couldn't walk and I don't want to get like that again.

Cycling is a wonderful form of exercise and for most people pretty low impact. Provided you have a bike that is the right size for you the worst possibility of injury is falling off. Perhaps you could set yourself a target to get fit enough to take part in the annual Manchester - Blackpool ride. It's about 55 miles, sounds a lot, but start now and by July you'll be ready to go for it.

You should be ok with either swimming or cycing - why not both?

I've had a hernia op and have never been troubled with either sport. I gave up football due to a broken ankle/dislocation so I just carried on with my fell running. That then caught up with me and I was really p!ssed off. I then had to think of something else. For years I then cycled and swam, now it's just swimming.

Fitness wise both are very good for you and obviously there is little impact and wear & tear on the joints.

Get up to Shad for the swimming. With a beez card it's about £2.85 a session at lane swimming and build up to somewhere between 50 and 100 lengths per session or whatever you feel comfortable with. For me the only down side with swimming is that I find it boring although if you were into it you could spice it up with interval training etc.

Good luck!

Any kind of physical activity releases endorphins. Distance running and jogging for prolonged periods puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the joints. It feels great to really push yourself, but it can cause a lot of injury related problems.

I would suggest cycling - you still get the same outdoor feeling (I much prefer sports out doors) and the chance of injury is far more remote. Also, I'd suggest joining a 5-a-side football team or something. Goals do a great weekly competition at locations all over the country. You also get to be part of a team and might meet some friends. Most importantly, whatever you do, don't push yourself through injury, no matter how much you want to. Something that might mean a couple of weeks out might turn into a two months lay off.

I see that you're 20 years old. Are you at uni / college / between jobs / unemployed etc? As a student, and being a similar age, possibly the best thing I have done in the last eighteen months to help with my depression has been to get into a regular pattern, getting up the same time no matter what. It's hard to explain, but routine helps so, so much.

It's also really good to have a feeling of purpose to your life, especially if you are out of work. It could be forcing yourself into working hard at University, or even something like researching Blackburn Rovers history or writing a book or something.

Every time you are feeling low, give a friend or family member a ring, meet up, go down the pub, watch a film. Just that company can make a huge difference.

Hope that's helpful.

Nice to see you are seemingly doing better these days mate - really pleased for you.

All the best Ohmi.

Wow I'm overwhelmed with all the replies, cheers people :)

tcj_jones I'm in between jobs at the minute I got made redudant at the start of the month although I start a new job a week on Monday I'm hoping it will help me out. I've started writing my memoirs down on the book front. I was doing quite well with my running but now I have to stop due to my hernia, its been fine until the other day when it just went and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days.

Its been hard work trying to get myself to some form of normality, just as I feel okay again something else happens, its fair to say its ruining my life lol.

I'm going to go to my doctors on Monday and see if I am okay to cycle and go swimming, I was enjoying doing exercise it was helping me loads and I don't particulary stop all together.

Archived