BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood For World Cup Venue

Today's Observer had an article on potential venues for England's World Cup bid for 2018. In the article they suggested that we should follow the German model and spread the venues evenly throughout the country. All well and good .... except that one of the 12 suggested venues was Dumpdale! No mention of Ewood Park as a potential venue, despite the fact that it is the only ground in Lancashire capable of being transformed into the necessary 40,000 capacity. It seems far fetched, I know .... but the spin offs would be fantastic including getting an Ewood station on a revamped Manchester-Ribble Valley rail line (which I feel is vital to expanding our support). If you don't ask .... you don't get .... so come on Rovers get a case together and lobby the FA ... we've 'nowt' to lose.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No harm in trying but I would be amazed if we got a venue. The proximity of manchester and liverpool must work against us as each will have a venue.

My guesses for the WC bid venues:

London (x2)

Liverpool

Manchester

Newcastle

Leeds

Sheffield

Birmingham

Southampton

Sunderland

and for the twelfth venue I would rekon it's a toss up between expanding a venue in East Anglia, expanding and using Notts Forest's stadium, or working something out in Bristol. Probably Nottingham. Can't see how any Lancashire ground will get a crack.

I was at Deepdale today (the missus is a City fan...) and there's no way in hell you could hold a World Cup match there, even if you knocked it down and built a new one.

If anywhere 'local' was going to get it, I'd suspect it'd be Bolton and that's only after the two Manchester venues.

I was at Deepdale today (the missus is a City fan...) and there's no way in hell you could hold a World Cup match there, even if you knocked it down and built a new one.

If anywhere 'local' was going to get it, I'd suspect it'd be Bolton and that's only after the two Manchester venues.

Deepdale, when the fourth stand is built will have a capacity of 25000, well short of the required 40000.

Breezeblock capacity is 28000, also well short of the requirement.

Thought it held more than that. Oh well, my bad.

To be honest though, does anyone think we could fill an extra 10,000 seats if we did get an upgrade? Even with talk of lower ticket prices thanks to telly revenue, nowadays it'd be a big ask.

Blackpool or Preston make no sense to me as venues. Neither does Ewood in all honesty - sure you could just bung another Jack Walker stand in there and reach the required 40,000 seater capacity, but then what are you going to do with your white elephant. More to the point, who's going to pay for it?

My twelve:

London (x2) - Emirates Stadium, Wembley

Liverpool - Stanley Park

Manchester - Old Trafford

Newcastle - St James' Park

Leeds - Elland Road

Sheffield - Hillsborough, unless Utd remain in the top flight and redevelop Bramall Lane

Birmingham - Villa Park

Southampton - St Mary's

Hull - KC Stadium

Bristol - Purpose built stadium (probably shared between Rovers/City & the rugby team [i suppose - depending on scheduling!]).

Ipswich - Portman Rd (already a 30,000 seater and the only feasible place in East Anglia)

That's not too shabby.

It's not just the ground but the other facilities that will decide. For example the Ricoh at Coventry contains a hotel and far better transport facilities than Ewood. I've just been to Cologne and Krakow and had fantastic trips..... airport, trains and hotels within a short distance of the ground with zillions of superb restaurants and bars in the area. Ever contemplated how sh1t a trip to Blackburn must be for our european opponnents? :o Lets take off our blue tinted glasses and be less jingoistic and more realistic eh?

1. No major airport within 40 miles.

2. No mainline railway station.

3. Very poor and very limited hotel facilities for visiting fans.

4. Restaurants in Blackburn with Darwen? :o Unless visitors are third world muslims and want a Ruby (Khyber anyone?) everyday then there's only Richmonds, Cafe B's and an Italian where Tiggy's used to be.

Btw attended a 21st in Richmonds last month and had a great time until leaving when my mate from Manchester offered me a lift home. We had to walk past the Grapes where it had all just 'kicked off' to get to his car. Two police were frogmarching what must have been one of the two fat slags to the meat wagon, she was in a double arm lock with a huge fat arse and thong on full display with her and her mates screaming curses at them, whilst more police were trying to restore order amongst the rest of the Grapes 'clientele'. Not only horrible for visitors but unfortunately for Blackburn typically horrible..... or should that be horribly typical?

5. Bars in Blackburn centre? Good grief, lets not even go there!

6. Places of interest? Ditto.

The only feature that BRFC has now that the Riverside hotel has been confined to the 'OUT' tray that is worth a mention that is of any value to visitors are the facilities at Brockhall..... and they would be within easy reach of the Preston based team. Far from being misinformed the originator of the piece has obviously done his homework on our squalid town...... Arsene Wenger certainly expressed his opinion in todays Guardian

"For Wenger, the draw simply added another trip north to an already crowded diary. "It's not touristically a fantastic place," he added, somewhat gratuitously. "It's not our dream to go up there."

Not very complementary of course but who can argue anything different?

Deepdale, when the fourth stand is built will have a capacity of 25000, well short of the required 40000.

The article did say that Dumpdale would have to be rebuilt.....and they only just finished the 3rd stand about 2 years back!!

The only reason that Preston was mentioned is because the authors contacted the NWRDA who's Chairman Brian Gray was former Chairman of PNEFC.

I go to Dumpdale occasionally (if someone pays and buys the wine); it is a cheap and tacky ground, a bit like our Club Shop! Their Club Shop by comparison is fantastic.

It's not just the ground but the other facilities that will decide. For example the Ricoh at Coventry contains a hotel and far better transport facilities than Ewood. I've just been to Cologne and Krakow and had fantastic trips..... airport, trains and hotels within a short distance of the ground with zillions of superb restaurants and bars in the area. Ever contemplated how sh1t a trip to Blackburn must be for our european opponnents? :o Lets take off our blue tinted glasses and be less jingoistic and more realistic eh?

1. No major airport within 40 miles.

2. No mainline railway station.

3. Very poor and very limited hotel facilities for visiting fans.

4. Restaurants in Blackburn with Darwen? :o Unless visitors are third world muslims and want a Ruby (Khyber anyone?) everyday then there's only Richmonds, Cafe B's and an Italian where Tiggy's used to be.

Btw attended a 21st in Richmonds last month and had a great time until leaving when my mate from Manchester offered me a lift home. We had to walk past the Grapes where it had all just 'kicked off' to get to his car. Two police were frogmarching what must have been one of the two fat slags to the meat wagon, she was in a double arm lock with a huge fat arse and thong on full display with her and her mates screaming curses at them, whilst more police were trying to restore order amongst the rest of the Grapes 'clientele'. Not only horrible for visitors but unfortunately for Blackburn typically horrible..... or should that be horribly typical?

5. Bars in Blackburn centre? Good grief, lets not even go there!

6. Places of interest? Ditto.

The only feature that BRFC has now that the Riverside hotel has been confined to the 'OUT' tray that is worth a mention that is of any value to visitors are the facilities at Brockhall..... and they would be within easy reach of the Preston based team. Far from being misinformed the originator of the piece has obviously done his homework on our squalid town...... Arsene Wenger certainly expressed his opinion in todays Guardian

"For Wenger, the draw simply added another trip north to an already crowded diary. "It's not touristically a fantastic place," he added, somewhat gratuitously. "It's not our dream to go up there."

Not very complementary of course but who can argue anything different?

Why are you still living here? For someone who clearly despises the town/area and its people i'm really surprised that you haven't got the intelligence to sell-up and move away. Of course there are some people who get some sort of superiority-buzz from looking down their noses at the rabble. But of course they would be found out of their depth (intellectually, socially, totally?) in the metropolis that they pretend to worship.

Why do you scorn our/your hometown? Yes there are many problems, like many other towns! You are nothing but a miserable old git with a laughable superiority complex. Get a life and have a laugh sometimes. Failing that go get some Prozac off your GP.

Why are you still living here? For someone who clearly despises the town/area and its people i'm really surprised that you haven't got the intelligence to sell-up and move away. Of course there are some people who get some sort of superiority-buzz from looking down their noses at the rabble. But of course they would be found out of their depth (intellectually, socially, totally?) in the metropolis that they pretend to worship.

Why do you scorn our/your hometown? Yes there are many problems, like many other towns! You are nothing but a miserable old git with a laughable superiority complex. Get a life and have a laugh sometimes. Failing that go get some Prozac off your GP.

Thanks for that! And now Damage please tell me which of my points contained any inaccuracies. If you can find any then I suggest that you need to put 'Brain' before your name.

OscarRavens's 'sad but true' is reflective of my opinion.

Thanks for that! And now Damage please tell me which of my points contained any inaccuracies. If you can find any then I suggest that you need to put 'Brain' before your name.

OscarRavens's 'sad but true' is reflective of my opinion.

I guess what is being asked is: why do you stay? You must have your reasons, perhaps some of which have a positive light to shine on the area in which you live. If there isn't anything positive stay then we can only surmise that you lack the gumption to move away, something I am sure is not case, or you have an affinity for being miserable, something which perhaps is the case.

Anyhow, it would be nice to change the record a little bit and show that you have a side to you which is not entirely consumed with criticism of what would appear to be very nearly everything.

Blackburn is in great need for redevelopment, but there has to be industry and a sound economic structure to redevelope. I am not from Blackburn, but visit for pretty much every game. People only know the town because of the club. I have nothing against the town or the people (who are the friendliest I have ever come across) but I think they have really missed a trick by not making Blackburn the economic centre of Lancashire, that award goes to Preston. Since the Universtiy of Central Lancs has been there the town has gone from strenght to strength. Its a major University and the economy has gained so much from it. My point being is that Blackburn needs a similar kick start, BBC Lancashire is based there as we know and maybe with the BBC relocating major departments to Salford, Blackburn could benefit from this.

With regards to the original topic, i think Blackburn would be a great place for the world cup to be held the town would have more than enough time to come up to stratch and i think the people of the town would make a real go of it.

Some people mentioned Ipswich.Would Ipswich fill a 40,000 capacity ground? or Bristol?

We could get Wayne Hemingway to design a new stand something crazy and 'arty' so people will come from miles around to see it.

I spent a few days in Ipswich once...it has nothing on Blackburn.

I guess what is being asked is: why do you stay? You must have your reasons, perhaps some of which have a positive light to shine on the area in which you live. If there isn't anything positive stay then we can only surmise that you lack the gumption to move away, something I am sure is not case, or you have an affinity for being miserable, something which perhaps is the case.

Anyhow, it would be nice to change the record a little bit and show that you have a side to you which is not entirely consumed with criticism of what would appear to be very nearly everything.

I live on the outskirts, have a business that is not 'moveable' but on the positive side I am 50% successful in getting my children to move away in their own best interests.

I would at this point like to say that quite a significant wedge of BRFC supporters have actually moved away to seek better career prospects and a better lifestyle since I left school 30 years ago. Consider the population stats and it's obvious that these people have largely been replaced by people who hold little affinity with BRFC hence limiting support.

It shouldn't be out of the question. Ewood has already hosted a Rugby League World Cup game, England under-21 games and the Women's World Cup.

The 2018 would be a step up but the area would receive much-needed funding. The lack of decent hotels might be the biggest problem.

With a decade to get it right surely even our crappy 'award-winning' council can get it right? Well...as long as they don't spend all their cash on get-away meetings at luxury hotels....

Theno is quite right in most things he says. Transport links to the ground aren't of the best - if you have to use public transport- the M65 is good. There are no hotels of the class to attract people to stay, except Northcote Manor, which is tiny. The Dunkenhalch is grubby and in need of a total refit.

There are no nice restaurants that I've found (apart from Heathcotes and Northcote and neither are in Blackburn themselves). Anyone with other information let me know.

The ground's facilities are excellent, as is parking, but it's as if the club has been parachuted into somewhere that can't sustain it.

Alghero Ristorante, next junction on th M65 is a cracking place to eat, good prices to. Italians can eat there and stay at Shaw Hill Golf Club Hotel (5 stars) at Whittle le-woods and train at Irongate (Bamber Bridge FC). It was good enough for the Czech Republic during the Euro finals.

I live on the outskirts, have a business that is not 'moveable' but on the positive side I am 50% successful in getting my children to move away in their own best interests.

I would at this point like to say that quite a significant wedge of BRFC supporters have actually moved away to seek better career prospects and a better lifestyle since I left school 30 years ago. Consider the population stats and it's obvious that these people have largely been replaced by people who hold little affinity with BRFC hence limiting support.

So you have literally nothing posiitive to say about the area? I am not from Blackburn and will bow to the judgement of those who live and work there, but it boggles me to think there is absolutely nothing attractive about the area at all. When I have been down for games I have always enjoyed myself. There must be some things you like?

The countryside? The people? The history? The football club?

Ewood has already hosted a Rugby League World Cup game,

Fitting in with the transport links, I went to that game. For a rovers game it takes 30-40 minutes to get to Ewood. For this it took us two and a half hours because hardly everyone was coming from a distance and not from within Blackburn.

Not everywhere in Germany was the greatest location in the world. For example Gelsenkirchen would be pretty similar to Blackburn hosting a game - nice stadium really not much else there. But within an hour of Gelsenkirchen you could be in a surrounding place like Essen, Duisburg, Dusseldorf, Wuppertal, Wesel etc all of which had provisions for lots of people staying. The thing with Blackburn is the places around it where people could stay would generally be places ie Manchester where games would be played anyway.

It would be fantastic if it happened, but we would have to finish the ground which would leave us with a big empty stand after the World Cup!

why cant we do what the olympics are doing and resizing the stadium after use??

and blackburn will be a different place in 11 years time

look at the town centre now with the redevelopments;

the new flats where never never land was

cathederal plans for flats

boulevard redevlopment

new part to the shopping centre

market being replaced with something

freckleton street bridge being made 4times bigger

and like ewood spark originally said, you get even more redevelopments coming through

train station on line behind riverside

double track being laid (is already a plan anyway)

What we lack big time is a tram system like most european cities. BUT shuttle buses from car parks on outside of town can make up for that, tempory car parks on fields at the M65 junction with FREE buses making the journeys instead

Archived