BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fergie

ABBEY

I don't see any problem at all with these mega clubs having big support in every town and city. Complaining about it only sounds like jealousy.

What qualifies somebody as a 'true' supporter then? Do you have to be born in a certain area? Brought up there? Move there? What if you move away? What if you live somewhere with a crap football team and you just want a reason to care about the big matches you see on TV?

I grew up a Rovers supporter basically because my dad was too cheap to take me to Old Trafford, which is where most of the kids from school went. Of course I feel permanently attached to Rovers now, despite moving away a long time ago, but does the fact that it's not really in my blood make me less worthy? What if I had kids and brought them up as Rovers fans, despite there being plenty of local clubs round here?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I hear a local lad say 'I'm Man U, Blackburn are s***' My heart sinks and its hapenning more and more.

Our next door neighbour's are reds so I don't speak to them and I told him why I don't speak to them.

I also fly the Rovers flag in the front garden after every victory and fly a big smiley flag after every United defeat.

Hopefully they'll move away soon.

It is true that a large number of the Asian heritage kids I teach are United supporters

Thank you gumboots. :tu: Those two ideallists Eddie and Rovernatt were lining up to have a go at me as usual. Unlike them all I ever do is tell it as it is and not how I would want it to be.

Our next door neighbour's are reds so I don't speak to them and I told him why I don't speak to them......

.........Hopefully they'll move away soon.

On the contrary Jimbo. I can't imagine that they'd want it any other way. :rolleyes: I bet they are blissfully happy with things exactly the way they are.

The Asians of Blackburn (do I have to say 'those of Asian heritage') are on the whole massively interested in football but not at all in the Rovers. It is fact. The few that go, great. I take what you are saying about when the grandparents came over, they would firstly attach to United etc, same can be said for many Irish immigrants to England. But as time goes on the profileration of glory shirts is getting HIGHER not lower, at a time when it could be argued BRFC is enjoying its best ever era (late 19th, early 20th century aside).

White/Asian whatever our club is competing in the worlds biggest league with good value tickets and replica shirts yet Man Yoo STILL prevails, god help us if we get relegated

Ferguson not taking any prisoners when it comes to Realk Madrid. Chucks the Generalissimo in just in case they don't get the message!

RFW From that Beeb article.....

"Real think they can ride roughshod over everyone, but they won't do it with us. They have no moral issues."

Kinell! You couldn't make it up could you? The way they've p1ssed up the legs of so many other clubs in exactly the same way over the years is well documented. The silly old fart really does beggar belief. I bloody well hope Real get him now! That would be well funny.

Thank you gumboots. :tu: Those two ideallists Eddie and Rovernatt were lining up to have a go at me as usual. Unlike them all I ever do is tell it as it is and not how I would want it to be.

So bleeding what?

They can support who they want; Some people go for hot girls, some go for good personality, some go for rich girls some for educated girls. Everyone gets laid. Who's right, who's wrong?

To turn around and suggest somebody has no soul, or somebody is a bad person just because they support a certain football team is so ludicrous I can't believe it's developed into a serious conversation.

If a kid's imagination is caught by something a great player has done, and as a result goes on to support the team the said player plays for, why should he be labled?

It's bleeding football ffs.

So bleeding what?

They can support who they want; Some people go for hot girls, some go for good personality, some go for rich girls some for educated girls. Everyone gets laid. Who's right, who's wrong?

To turn around and suggest somebody has no soul, or somebody is a bad person just because they support a certain football team is so ludicrous I can't believe it's developed into a serious conversation.

If a kid's imagination is caught by something a great player has done, and as a result goes on to support the team the said player plays for, why should he be labled?

Congratulations Shillitoe..... you've answered your own bleeding questions! :P

So bleeding what?

Why do many so people wear Nike clothing? The main reason, surely, is that it improves the wearer's self-worth by so clearly associating himself with a famous "cool" image that the firm has spent so many millions of dollars creating.

If people get sucked into designer clothing fads, is it surprising that people (especially kids) will do the same with global footy brands? Can you blame them? If they don't have someone to educate them that supporting a football team is not (always) about being cool/improving your self-worth/improving your image, then it's not really surprising that people cling onto supporting big clubs as Brand Fans.

And having developed a childhood allegiance, most don't want to give up the attachment, even if they do grow to understand that there is a lot more to football than image. Which is different from designer gear because there is no brand affinity of the footy sort, many people do grow up to realise that the designer obsession is superficial and ultimately a ginormous money-making machine and stop being so partial to that sort of clothing.

I love how people use idealist as an insult. Very amusing.

Why do many so people wear Nike clothing?

Actually I just like the logo and much of their stuff, especially the trainers. I'm surprisingly resistant to advertising, having studied media, film and politics, and being a cynical git.

Bluebruce, a glory hunter would be invoking the same argument in saying that they aren't interested in the brand but enjoy the standard of football.

That's not to criticise you, at all, but it does provide a more substantial reason for being a glory hunter - if you genuinely appreciate the product and aren't swooning over the image/brand.

Oh wise up you silly old codger. You were invoking Muslim support of United as some sort of negative. I was simply asking why you had singled out that community.

Oh wise up you silly old codger. You were invoking Muslim support of United as some sort of negative. I was simply asking why you had singled out that community.

I didn't single them out Matt as you must well know cos you totally agreed with the other groups that I had identified. Following that fact it is actually YOU who singled out the muslim MU support as an issue. So why have you done that then.... other than for the obvious and usual reason?

I didn't single them out Matt as you must well know cos you totally agreed with the other groups that I had identified. Following that fact it is actually YOU who singled out the muslim MU support as an issue. So why have you done that then.... other than for the obvious and usual reason?

What obvious and usual reason is that then? You're the one dragging irrelevancies into the debate. I did agree with some of the points you made. Clearly not all. I don't like United supporters either but they can be from any background, not simply those apparently 'inadequate' groups you cited.

Bluebruce, a glory hunter would be invoking the same argument in saying that they aren't interested in the brand but enjoy the standard of football.

That's not to criticise you, at all, but it does provide a more substantial reason for being a glory hunter - if you genuinely appreciate the product and aren't swooning over the image/brand.

Er, sure...but choosing clothing isn't the same as following a football club, you understand.

Archived