BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Are Soft....

or at least they used to be.

It's nothing new, James. In fact, such behaviour can be traced back as far as December 12 1891, when Burnley's game at home to Blackburn had to be abandoned because the Rovers players left the field ... complaining of the numbing cold (northern softies, anyone?). Andrew Ward's book, Football's Strangest Matches, recalls that, shortly after the interval, all of Blackburn's outfield players returned to the changing room, leaving only their goalkeeper Herby Arthur on the pitch. Upon the resumption of play, Arthur even successfully appealed for offside, then, with no one to pass to from the subsequent free-kick, he began time-wasting, leaving the referee with little alternative but to abandon the game.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

The Guardian

Also did any of you hear the praise of your team on Radio 5 Live this AM from ex Arsenal Midfielder Paul Davis?

Why you all ahving a go?

It was a bit of a joke - I actually found it amusing that you can't score against only a keeper because you would of course be offside the minute you cross the halfway line...

And the comment about the praise was genuine and true, he said some very complimentary things about your team and style of play, jeez some of you are tetchy

you would of course be offside the minute you cross the halfway line...

Not if you have a brain cell! There are plenty of ways to beat the offside trap, including being in your own half and passing it to a player behind the ball. :ph34r:

Not if you have a brain cell! There are plenty of ways to beat the offside trap, including being in your own half and passing it to a player behind the ball. :ph34r:

LOVE IT! :lol:

Are we going to need to explain the offside rule here? ;)

Just kidding Mr Longsider! Getting nervous about staying up yet mate? What's gone wrong? Cotteril taken you as far as he can?

Why you all ahving a go?

It was a bit of a joke - I actually found it amusing that you can't score against only a keeper because you would of course be offside the minute you cross the halfway line...

And the comment about the praise was genuine and true, he said some very complimentary things about your team and style of play, jeez some of you are tetchy

I was as well by the way. You're actually alright for a Burnley fan.

Worried about staying up? Absolutely bricking it.

Cotterill once again built his game plan around 1 player and it backfired, big style. Still think he has it within him though - he has after all had us in the top 6 for the first half of the last 3 seasons. Was forced to sell in the first 2 as well.

First thing though is we need the points to stay up and that is far from certain.

, jeez some of you are tetchy

It's nerves before a big game ; you wouldn't understand .

Good to hear from you anyway. I'll actually admit to watching Burnley on occasions in the 1960s and 70s when Lochead, Pointer, Coates, Thomas, James and Dobson were strutting their stuff .

Superb players - always wanted the opposition to win though !

oh, and in terms of OFFSIDE, I was of course talking about the rules as they existed at the time:

The Cambridge rules of 1848 stated that three opponents needed to be between a forward and the defending goal for him not to be offside

which would of course be the rules applied, not the modern ones <_<

oh, and in terms of OFFSIDE, I was of course talking about the rules as they existed at the time:

Might as well be those Longsider as nobody appears to know what the rules are nowadays for offside. :lol:

Seconded. Now Longsider, why don't you give up the unequal struggle and come and support a decent team? You know you want to! ;)

Now Now Fife :lol:

Now then, the other 25 comment.

Mmm, 15 + 25 = 40.

2007 - 40 = 1967. Do you honestly beleive Rovers had a better team at that time and in the years immediately after it?

There was a number of years where your league postion was much better than ours, from the early 80's onwards but that was not down to a financial gulf. The gulf opened with the arrival of Jack Walker and was supplemented by Sky TV. I'm not criticising or griping here but any honest observer would have to admit the Walker cash injection (which even today is, I think, equal to about a quarter of our turnover) and the money made from being in the prem makes any comparison irrelevant. I would guess you have players who earn more in a year than we pay our entire squad. In real terms to have held you 0-0 over 90 minutes, to be level after 45 in the replay - indeed to have got within 4 minutes of extra time, was a laudable effort from our team, all of course IMHO

was a good game - much better than the first one. Crap result but still a good game.

Thought we did well considering the financial gulf we have operated under for over 15 years.

Hey Longsider, why don't you put all your worries and heartache behind you and come and watch the Rovers instead. You will feel better and it will open you up to a whole new world!

The rules even then stated you had to be in FRONT of the ball to be offside UNLESS there were three or more opponents etc.

That's why you cannot be offside from a corner kick because nobody can be in front of the ball. :rolleyes:

Archived