BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucash Neill

Bloody hell, give it a rest about Lucas, who cares.

It's hardly the same as Alan Shearer leaving, is it?

Lucas may have lied (footballer in lying shock!), he may have used the situation to his own benefit (imagine! Has he no shame?) and he may have moved simply for the money (faced with that, or warming Liverpool's bench, and all this after burning his bridges here, I'd have gone for the cash).

I don't know why people get so indignant about it. There's people who've left before that have got me wound up, but certainly not this.

Blackburn Rovers certainly did very well out of him.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neill played over 5 years for Rovers and during the last year, before and after the World Cup, he repeatedly stated that he wanted to move for the betterment of his career. He would not sign a new contract because of this desire, preferring to leave "on a Bosman" when it was up. Instead of doing what Robbie Savage, William Gallas, and others did he carried on playing to his full ability even though some home fans openly booed him when he was wearing a Rovers kit. The manager knew the score but would only let him go when he had a replacement, or the offer was too good to pass up. January's transfer window offered the chance. Rovers picked up Warnock and Neill was allowed to leave. This is where it gets murky. He could have gone to Champions League regulars Liverpool in August, but Hughes wouldn't let him go. Again in January they came in for him, but so did West Ham. After much soul searching he decided that Champions League exposure, cup finals, and league positions wouldn't be a better career move for him so he upped sticks and signed for West Ham, declaring his love for the history of the club that provided 3 of England's World Cup winners (he's Australian), and stating that he signed because the new billionaire owners of West Ham convinced him that they had fantastic plans for the club.

What stinks for a few is that West Ham purportedly offered him over £50,000 per week and Liverpool were offering just over £30,000 per week. Also add the fact that West Ham are thoroughly in the relegation mire and look to be heading down to the Championship, barring a miracle run in, and it becomes clear to some that Lucas Neill did not move for footballing glory but personal wealth.

I fail to see how this scenario meant that Rovers fans had to boo him every time he touched the ball. Would it not have been better to give the lad a clap for his 3 years of being our worst defender by far then turning into a classy World Cup performer for the last 2? Once that was done the crowd could have spent the rest of the game either laughing at him for signing for such an awful team, or cheering on your own side who put in a diabolical second half. Ultimately he left Rovers, much like plenty of others have done, but he never claimed he was staying, didn't have a mystery clause in his contract, nor did he do the wrong thing financially speaking. How he has "done the dirt" on anybody is beyond me too.

As for booing players in general; its embarrassing. Why care? Ronaldo gets booed everywhere he goes. Do fans have that much inability to actually watch a game? If fans boo a player or official for a specific reason in a specific game, I agree as that is heat of the moment stuff, but premeditated just takes the p!ss.

"I fail to see how this scenario meant that Rovers fans had to boo him every time he touched the ball. Would it not have been better to give the lad a clap for his 3 years of being our worst defender by far then turning into a classy World Cup performer for the last 2?"

That's what p1sses me off so much about him. He was bloody useless for the first 3 seasons he was with us. Constantly conceding penatlties and free kicks, unable to get through a game without getting booked or sent off, hardly ever finding a blue and white shirt whilst in possession and breaking the legs of opponents.

Mark Hughes and coaching team arrive and miraculously Neill becomes a player. Then it starts to happen, rumours abound and he starts making noises about wanting away and giving the impression that if players want to improve they have to leave Rovers. Mr Bigtime - as if the first three seasons didn't happen and he did us a favour by playing for us.

Yes, I'm glad he's gone but I wont forget his smug, leering face at the end of the Nancy game. I'll be ready the next time he pitches up at Ewood.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?cat...e_id=0000083045

It has made Korea's most popular website -the 18th most visited site in the world.

Of course, it's in Korean but there are two words near the bottom of the article that people may recognise.

The comments below reflect this board's - some say he loves money, some say he is stupid, some blame the Rovers fans...

I think the rovers fan who was interviewed in saturday mornings article in the sun about lucas neill summed it up perfectly.

He said if neill had gone to liverpool, as he had indicated, to genuinely better himself, to play champs league football, then his reception would have been relatively okay.

But he lied, he went to a club who i cant stand, who are going down, purely for the money.

As captain of a current 'top 6' premiership club, in europe, popular with the fans, why would you want to leave rovers to go to west ham? Zurab was interviewed in this article and says as neill's best friend, he pleaded with him too stay. And none of the other players understood why he left to go to west ham.

By doing so, he belittled rovers and for them reasons I booed him.

In defence of neill, I wouldnt have booed him if he was crap. But he was a good player, gave his all for rovers, and as a fan I felt let down by his mercanary attitude.

I've had enough life is too short to argue the same point over and over with intellectual pygmies. Too many brain dead morons who appear unable to read. For the last time numpties.......

LUCAS NEILL LEFT FOR MORE MONEY, MUCH MUCH MORE MONEY AND THAT IS THE REASON THAT HE AND ALL HIS BLOODY TEAM MATES WITHOUT EXCEPTION CAME TO PLAY FOR BRFC IN THE FIRST PLACE! GOT IT? JUST LIKE 99% OF ALL PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS WHO SIGN FOR THEIR VARIOUS CLUBS. WHAT TF IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT? LOYALTY AMONGST PRO FOOTBALLERS IS FOR LOSERS AND SCHMUCKS.

WHO ON HERE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THE SAME IN HIS POSITION? I WOULD HAVE DONE AND SO WOULD ANYBODY ELSE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL.

Crikey I'm turning into Abbey.

WHO ON HERE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THE SAME IN HIS POSITION? I WOULD HAVE DONE AND SO WOULD ANYBODY ELSE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL.

Correct! But if you had half a brain cell you'd also realise that the downside for defecting in return for all that extra wonga would be that you'd expect to be booed up hill and down dale wouldn't you??

I can't believe Lucash is so convinced by his own infallibility, is so thick skinned and is so utterly divorced from reality to genuinely believe his own comments and expect he would have got a good reception on Saturday. Then again................... :unsure:

Whilst Saturday was intensely irritating the good thing is that in the long run we've had the last laugh by getting a far superior player in Warnock. All we need now is for no-one to come in for Lucash in the summer when they go down.

Howard Webb and Jim Devine surely can't officiate in all their remaining eight fixtures can they?

I've had enough life is too short to argue the same point over and over with intellectual pygmies. Too many brain dead morons who appear unable to read. For the last time numpties.......

LUCAS NEILL LEFT FOR MORE MONEY, MUCH MUCH MORE MONEY AND THAT IS THE REASON THAT HE AND ALL HIS BLOODY TEAM MATES WITHOUT EXCEPTION CAME TO PLAY FOR BRFC IN THE FIRST PLACE! GOT IT? JUST LIKE 99% OF ALL PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS WHO SIGN FOR THEIR VARIOUS CLUBS. WHAT TF IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT? LOYALTY AMONGST PRO FOOTBALLERS IS FOR LOSERS AND SCHMUCKS.

Personal abuse?

Grow up.

you lucky ,sexy mutha.......YOU WILL BE CENSORED NEXT THEN :P:rolleyes:

I don't know, you try to have a reasoned debate with some people and this happens. IF this is aimed at me, then I really do suggest you read my posts, which would make your post above the height of irony

Wasn't he waving an imaginary card at the ref when Bentley got sent off, thus insisting he gets sent off?

I am a bit annoyed that he went for Championship football and mega money rather than having a crack at the Champions League with Liverpool. I thought he wanted to play with a team that had more chance of winning the big trophies, but instead he wanted to fill his pockets at the expense of honours.

I don't think Neill lied at all about wanting to leave us for Champions League football etc. What he said was most likely true at the time and Liverpool was to be the destination.

Then West Ham got all desperate and jumped in with a ridiculous offer and so he took it. It would have been more likely if Lucas had said "I wanted to go to Liverpool but hey I got a great offer from West Ham and let's be honest I'd have been daft to turn down an extra £30,000 a week now wouldn't I?"

Of course he didn't say that as that isn't what his new club's supporters want to hear.

In the end though he was a good servant of the club and we ended up selling him for a large profit (maybe a million quid?) after five years of service. Compared to the some of the to$$ers that have been a joke at the club and didn't try Neill was an excellent employee.

Still...if people want to boo that is their right, they pays their money and can do what they like.

• 4 weeks later...

Especially sweet given the "goal" that happened in Ewood :angry:

Hope Sheffield Utd drag the Scum back in mid week; and Chelsea sent the WH down... :ph34r:

West Ham's mini revival coming to an end as they trail 3-0 at Sheff Utd

Archived