BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roberts Or Derbyshire...

mark

who would you choose to partner benni for the run in?

i'd forgotten that Roberts had made just 6 (yes SIX) starts this season, he's relatively untried! and while we all know and admire what derbyshire can offer, he and benni have never quite looked like a partnership for me.

personally i'd like to see roberts start the 6 remaining games, i think his hold up play will allow benni to focus on his own strenths. remember at the beggining of the season when benni likened playing with roberts to having a second wife? let's hope the pairing can lead the charge for 7th and automatic eufa cup qualification.

all agreed... :rolleyes:

So Benni is guaranteed his place despite the fact that he has been crap for weeks?

in short, yes.

and 'crap', c'mon - has he really? matter of opinion, but who in their right mind would drop the third top premiership scorer?? anyway, that's being debated in another thread.

back on track - Roberts vs. Derbyshire....

and 'crap', c'mon - has he really?

Yes.

And if he is as guaranteed a place as you seem to think he is then no wonder he doesn't give 100% every week.

Roberts or Derbyshire? Both tomorrow night for me. Derbyshire has done well and will be better in a proper partnership, and Roberts deserves another start. At the moment Benni doesn't.

Derbyshire has done well and will be better in a proper partnership,

Hmm, well if you cast to one side their respective goals totals as you do with Benni, then has Derbs really done that well recently?

I think not.

I am not casting aside anyone's goal tally, merely questioning one man's recent commitment on the pitch.

At least Derbyshire works, and makes defenders work with intelligent running.

I am not casting aside anyone's goal tally, merely questioning one man's recent commitment on the pitch.

mjs, there's a benni thread dedicated to discussing that. if you have nothing to add to this thread then leave it be, ta.

i'll re-phrase my question: benni & derbyshire or benni & roberts, discuss...

At least Derbyshire works, and makes defenders work with intelligent running.

Sorry MJS, - no, you didn't say you were ignoring Benni's goals. You can't ignore them though can you? Still think Derbs has been just as poor as Benni lately, if not worse.

mjs, there's a benni thread dedicated to discussing that. if you have nothing to add to this thread then leave it be, ta.

But it isn't just about Benni and A N Other is it, even though you seem to think it is a foregone conclusion that he should play every game during the run in.

I am well aware there is a thread on Benni, but if we are having a debate about strike partners, then he can hardly be left out of the equation.

thats the same question you have asked in the first post mark. Benni has not been playing well lately, and maybe needs a game on the bench to get back to normal

I want Roberts and Derbyshire tomorrow.

I'd be mortified to see us pack the midfield at home to the bottom side.

Doesn't necessarily need to be seen that way.

Alternatively how about all 3 up front, Benni, Derbs and Jase, with a midfield of Peds, Moko and Bentley? :rover:

You can't drop roberts after the semi. Personally i would drop benni, after seeing the responce we got by dropping him before then it'd do him some good. Derbs has been dropped and now should have a run. Looks like nonda has fallen out of favour. So for me the next 2 matches with Roberts & Derbs with benni coming on and then judge Benni's performances and those of the 2 up front.

I reckon that McCarthy and Roberts were Hughes planned first choice strike partnership for the season - and for one reason or another they haven't really had chance to play together for a decent run of games yet. The last few games of the season gives us the chance, on the back of roberts fa cup performance, to have a proper look at them before the summer. Making the huge assumption that McCarthy will be here next season, this will hopefully give Hughes a better view of what he needs to add for next season in so far as whether Roberts really can be relied on as a front line striker.

How about Roberts on his own with Dunn just off him?

I actually think that would work rather well, Dunn played excellently for Brum up front last season. But the fact of the matter is we have 4 decent strikers for 2 places, and only 5 midfielders for 4 places. I would keep David in midfield.

I will be amazed if Hughes does not start Roberts and Derbyshire. Just seems inevitable as their power and pace will be the sort of thing you need against Watford.

Guest shoppybrfc

Still dont rate Roberts, one goal does not cover a season of ineptness. His goal scoring record last season with wigan is not that impressive when you look at the stats closely 8 premiership goals ( 2 were penalties ) in 34 starts. I'd be very disapointed if hes starting games next season, he's ok as a 3rd/4th choice striker but not for a tream wanting to aim for the top 6.

Nonda was injured on Sunday so I wouldn't assume he is out of favour.

I meant with the fact that derbyshire has been layed ahead of him for most of the season. Not that you can blame hughes for playing the in form player.

Archived