BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers On Tv

According to the schedule for Sky Sports Rovers are being shown ONCE (against Fulham in November). Sentanta (or however you spell it) have us on four times.

WHAT THE CORNELIUS FUDGE!!! :angry::angry::angry:

ONCE!!! :angry:

Can we bombard Sky with complaints please, this is an utter outrage. There are over 100 slots for 20 teams, we should have AT LEAST FIVE appearances.

This especially sucks for overseas people (me!). :(

Does this also mean we get less money from Sky?

the sky tv schedule does not mean that we won't be on foxsports, mate.that schedule is only for those who have sky tv in the uk, but for us down here we are rather lucky because we get to see more of rovers on tv than what people back home do. i think our first home game is on a wednesday night against villa, and there are two other games on taht night aswell, and i reckon we will have a game on that week.

Can we bombard Sky with complaints please, this is an utter outrage. There are over 100 slots for 20 teams, we should have AT LEAST FIVE appearances.

This especially sucks for overseas people (me!). :(

Does this also mean we get less money from Sky?

Makes little difference to the number of times we are on on overseas channels

We do get less money as it is per appearance in addition to the base fee there is a facility fee - we are however on more away, which is far better financially than being on at home (for clubs like us)

We arent on the least at 4 times (I thought it was only 3 on Setanta), that honour goes to Derby, on once.

the sky tv schedule does not mean that we won't be on foxsports, mate.that schedule is only for those who have sky tv in the uk, but for us down here we are rather lucky because we get to see more of rovers on tv than what people back home do. i think our first home game is on a wednesday night against villa, and there are two other games on taht night aswell, and i reckon we will have a game on that week.

Ooooooooooooohhhhh... Thanks, I didn't know that. Rovers fans in the UK should still protest though... I was nearly in tears at the thought of seeing my beloved Rovers once before Xmas. Now I'm happy again! :D

According to the schedule for Sky Sports Rovers are being shown ONCE (against Fulham in November).

Purely selfish but I think it's good news. Looking at the fixtures we are at home 3.00pm Saturday for every game till Christmas, except Liverpool which is 5.15pm ( a good KO time). No doubt our European progress, or other clubs, will change this but at least for the moment we have the basis of a sensible schedule, unlike recent years when it's been all over the place.

Just read an interesting thing.

All Prem clubs have to be paid for a minimum 10 televised matches but there is no longer a requirement for any club to be televised ten times as Sky and Sentanta could not agree to the sharing out of Fulham v Wigan fixtures.

So I guess Rovers can sneak into top slot and nobody will notice. Being less facetious- less mucking about with kick-off times other than for UEFA fun.

Makes little difference to the number of times we are on on overseas channels

We do get less money as it is per appearance in addition to the base fee there is a facility fee - we are however on more away, which is far better financially than being on at home (for clubs like us)

We arent on the least at 4 times (I thought it was only 3 on Setanta), that honour goes to Derby, on once.

Not this overseas I don't think. Our TV seems to pretty much follow Sky, if we are on there we are on here if not we generally are not. Did well last season we seemed to be on a lot, particularly the latter part of the season we seemed to be on every week, sometimes a couple of weeks.

Just read an interesting thing.

All Prem clubs have to be paid for a minimum 10 televised matches but there is no longer a requirement for any club to be televised ten times as Sky and Sentanta could not agree to the sharing out of Fulham v Wigan fixtures.

So I guess Rovers can sneak into top slot and nobody will notice. Being less facetious- less mucking about with kick-off times other than for UEFA fun.

So what exactly does this mean for the viewer?

Wall-to-wall 'Big 4?

I don't know whether you intended that to be a joke question Ronin, but it is probably much nearer to being the literal truth than you realise. Up here in Scotland, every channel that is carrying Scottish football and in every after match discussion/ pundit show, the programme always contains lengthy and detailed analysis of both Celtic and Rangers matches which uses up abot 80 to 90% of the allocated time. The remaining 10 to 20% is used to show/discuss the remainder of the SPL matches. The lower divisions teams only get mentioned if it is a cup match and against one of the SPL teams. This is no joke! That is exactly how it is.

It could be coming to a screen near you any time now!

I don't know whether you intended that to be a joke question Ronin, but it is probably much nearer to being the literal truth than you realise. Up here in Scotland, every channel that is carrying Scottish football and in every after match discussion/ pundit show, the programme always contains lengthy and detailed analysis of both Celtic and Rangers matches which uses up abot 80 to 90% of the allocated time. The remaining 10 to 20% is used to show/discuss the remainder of the SPL matches. The lower divisions teams only get mentioned if it is a cup match and against one of the SPL teams. This is no joke! That is exactly how it is.

Joking, although partly.

Whenever I've visited family up in Scotland, have to agree with you, Glasgow seems to be the main focus for football on telly. But you can see the parallels happening down here with the Big 4, (or 5 or 6 if you include the Spuds and Barcodes). It's the main reason why I've got rid of Sky Sports. Especially, if as has been mentioned, that Sky are no longer under obligation to show at least 10 games of each team, I'd expect more (blanket?) coverage of the Big Clubs and less for the likes of lil old us and the other teams outside. The same goes for BBC MOTD, and the media in general as well. Lack of coverage, and if we do, we don't feature much at all. Could not even see anything in the press at the weekend mentioning our Intertoto games. The fact that Sky are showing us only once (and in November!) isn't a surprise. I'm just glad that Setanta are showing the Premiership (and the FA Cup from next season?), and so Rovers could feature more times, and in what could be potentially better games (v Everton, Chelsea & Liverpool). It's about time that the media realises that there are more than 4 or 5 teams in the Premiership.

We think we have it bad in England with Sky's incessant fawning over the "big" clubs. It must be several times worse in Scotland if you live outside of Glasgow. We can only sympathise.

Who is your Scottish team Fife Rover?

We think we have it bad in England with Sky's incessant fawning over the "big" clubs. It must be several times worse in Scotland if you live outside of Glasgow. We can only sympathise.

Well mostly I have supported my nearest team, Dunfermline Athletic. In fact I have supported them ever since moving into the Dunfermline area in 1980. The Pars as they are known (but nobody seems to know why) have had many up's and down's in that time, but for the last 12 years have been continually in the SPL and have been in 2 Scottish Cup Finals (losing both by a narrow margin to Celtic) and 1 League Cup final (losing that as well to Hibs).

This season just finished they got relegated in the last match of the season after fighting back from an 11 point deficit to just 1 point adrift of St. Mirren. They had a terrible injury list for more than half the season, and at one point had to send a team out with three 16 year olds in it, and the rest of the youth team sitting on the bench. They picked up after Christmas when they got Stephen Kenny in as manager from Derry City. He has really turned things round and signed several good players and loaned a few more from Celtic and Liverpool. That's how they fought back so well from being 11 points adrift of the 2nd bottom team. They did very well in the Cup beating Rangers and Hearts on the way to the Final were they played some great football and lost to Celtic by one goal very near the end.

Most of the good players Kenny brought in on contract to the end of the season have elected to stay and signed new contracts turning down offers from other SPL clubs. We lost a couple and the Celtic and Liverpool loanees have gone back. But the best of the new players have all signed with us on one or two year deals. Some of them have made it a condition that we get promotion back to the SPL in one go or they leave. But that is fair enough, at least they have stayed to give us a fighting chance.

Well mostly I have supported my nearest team, Dunfermline Athletic. In fact I have supported them ever since moving into the Dunfermline area in 1980. The Pars as they are known (but nobody seems to know why) have had many up's and down's in that time, but for the last 12 years have been continually in the SPL and have been in 2 Scottish Cup Finals (losing both by a narrow margin to Celtic) and 1 League Cup final (losing that as well to Hibs).

This season just finished they got relegated in the last match of the season after fighting back from an 11 point deficit to just 1 point adrift of St. Mirren. They had a terrible injury list for more than half the season, and at one point had to send a team out with three 16 year olds in it, and the rest of the youth team sitting on the bench. They picked up after Christmas when they got Stephen Kenny in as manager from Derry City. He has really turned things round and signed several good players and loaned a few more from Celtic and Liverpool. That's how they fought back so well from being 11 points adrift of the 2nd bottom team. They did very well in the Cup beating Rangers, Hearts, and Hibs on the way to the Final were they played some great football and lost to Celtic by one goal very near the end.

Most of the good players Kenny brought in on contract to the end of the season have elected to stay and signed new contracts turning down offers from other SPL clubs. We lost a couple and the Celtic and Liverpool loanees have gone back. But the best of the new players have all signed with us on one or two year deals. Some of them have made it a condition that we get promotion back to the SPL in one go or they leave. But that is fair enough, at least they have stayed to give us a fighting chance.

I have recently also taken to watching a couple of Fife teams in the lower divisions when the Pars are away. These are Cowdenbeath in div2 and East Fife in div 3. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching these part time players and the very small but very loyal support. They all make for a fantastic atmosphere and a great feeling of involvement that reminds me a lot of my own playing days. I also enjoy the after match chat and a couple of pints in the club bar. Great stuff!

I am embarrassed to say I know next to nothing about Scottish footy. With the advent of Rovers-friendly Setanta as a rival to almost Rovers-free Sky Sports, I thought to also adopt a Scottish team since Setanta show SPL matches.

Maybe Dunfirmaline ;)

Know what you mean about smaller club atmosphere being better and more involved. Visited Accy Stanley and got much the same feeling.

I am embarrassed to say I know next to nothing about Scottish footy. With the advent of Rovers-friendly Setanta as a rival to almost Rovers-free Sky Sports, I thought to also adopt a Scottish team since Setanta show SPL matches.

Maybe Dunfirmaline ;)

Know what you mean about smaller club atmosphere being better and more involved. Visited Accy Stanley and got much the same feeling.

I very much doubt that you will see Dunfermline on Setanta this coming season MC. As I said in my earlier post the Scottish TV does not show any matches not involving an SPL team, and as dear old Dunf are temporarily in Div 1, I think the only way you would see them on Setanta would be if they get drawn against Rangers or Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Sad aint it! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well for Australians things might be different, this was posted on a Sydney FC message board;

This Saturday the early game at 9:45pm EST on Fox Sports 2 is Sunderland v Spurs.

At midnight the game chosen is West Ham v Man City however if you don't want to watch that game, press the red button on your Foxtel remote and you will be launced into Viewers Choice. On your screen will appear four other matches, in this case Bolton v Newcastle, Derby v Portsmouth, Everton v Wigan and Middlesbrough v Blackburn. Navigate around the screen using your remote and chose which game you want to watch.

Last year Fox showed up to 6 matches live per week, this year it will be 9 or 10. The only game not on this weeknd is Arsenal v Fulham because of the time it's on. Sunday midday UK time.

It's illegal to show all 38 matches of a club's season but you'll probably see 35 or 36 LFC matches this coming campaign. There's 380 matches played in a season and you'll now get between 350-360 of them live on Fox Sports.

If you're getting your Fox Sports through Austar (people who live in the bush) then this feature won't be available until next month.

It's 4am here and I could not find the Setanta thread, don't know if it's gone or my eyes aren't open yet, so I will stick this here. Another question for our Stateside Blue and White brothers and sisters. Fox Soccer channel is listed in SoccerTv.com as showing the Boro game on Broadband (I don't get suspended for that do I SteB?) Went to Fox's website but can not find anything in the way of info. Anyone help on this? OR know more about it.

Copied from above.

"This Saturday the early game at 9:45pm EST on Fox Sports 2 is Sunderland v Spurs.

At midnight the game chosen is West Ham v Man City however if you don't want to watch that game, press the red button on your Foxtel remote and you will be launced into Viewers Choice. On your screen will appear four other matches, in this case Bolton v Newcastle, Derby v Portsmouth, Everton v Wigan and Middlesbrough v Blackburn. Navigate around the screen using your remote and chose which game you want to watch.

Last year Fox showed up to 6 matches live per week, this year it will be 9 or 10. The only game not on this weeknd is Arsenal v Fulham because of the time it's on. Sunday midday UK time.

It's illegal to show all 38 matches of a club's season but you'll probably see 35 or 36 LFC matches this coming campaign. There's 380 matches played in a season and you'll now get between 350-360 of them live on Fox Sports.

If you're getting your Fox Sports through Austar (people who live in the bush) then this feature won't be available until next month."

End of Cut and Paste.

I wish we had this feature, you know for all it's Hollywood pomp and glitz, for all the money that comes in for having more commercials on TV than shows, one would thin the Americans would be cutting edge in TV technology, they seem to be years behind. My local Cable outfit is only just now coming out with interactive buttons. UK's had 'em for years. I know there are a lot of other features I have heard about in the UK too that are not here.

Another question for our Stateside Blue and White brothers and sisters. Fox Soccer channel is listed in SoccerTv.com as showing the Boro game on Broadband (I don't get suspended for that do I SteB?) Went to Fox's website but can not find anything in the way of info. Anyone help on this? OR know more about it.

Looking into it 'Blue. I haven't been able to find anything yet either. Strange. :unsure:

Archived