BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Summaries from the official mb suggest that Treacy and Clarke were the most impressive players and Peter and Rigters were the least.

I was there last night and thought that Reid was in excellent form - his passing was powerful, crisp and (most important) accurate. In the first 15 minutes he was clattered hard twice by Sunderland players yet just got up as if nothing had happened. He looks very very strong, athletic and in some of his passing and movement almost Tugayesque (a compliment!!).

In addition, Reidy was very vocal , directing operations not only with his feet, but also calling the play to a large extent. In the 55 minutes he played I think there was only one pass that went astray, with some exceptional vision and defence-splitting use of the ball. He didn't shirk his responsibilities in the tackle either, going in hard and committed.

By the way we bossed the Sunderland side around you could be forgiven for thinking that this was a first team squad - the football was high quality and the finishing quality when it was needed. The Sunderland keeper had teflon gloves on mind, although the first goal nearly took his hands off. Some interesting selection headaches ahead for Sparky if the quality evident in last nights reserve team performance continues to push for first team consideration. Treacy has fantastic feet, Peter looked hungry (and fast!), Berner and Henchoz way above the standard and even the young goalkeeper, who kept his concentration 'Brad-style' to make a point-blank one on one save in the last couple of minutes - all looking good.

My only concern on the night was that Rigters looked overweight, didn't win ANY headers and failed to make a serious attempt on goal (ok he did hold the ball up well and made a couple of goals) but he does look short of confidence and the killer instinct that makes strikers at this level.

Coming back to Reidy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the 1st team squad from now on. He looks hungry, mean and lean and most of all totally up for it. Bring on the selection headache :)

Summaries from the official mb suggest that Treacy and Clarke were the most impressive players and Peter and Rigters were the least.

Went to the game, the Rovers reserves fielded a far stronger team than Sunderland it would be interesting to see this reseve team competing in the championship as opposed to the reserve league.

Reidy ran around just doing the basics and looking a little rusty which you would expect but for me the interesting thing was seeing some of the other players like Treacy and Sergio in the same team. Sergio played on the right wing while Treacy played on the left with Jamie Clarke and Maceo Righters the two forwards. The two forwards ran their Sunderland counterparts ragged and Rovers could and should have scored more than five at this point i have to point out that Righters missed a hell of a lot of chances.

Jamie Clarke looked the far better player on the night - faster possesing some Ronaldinho esq skills looked a little weak in the air when competing but still well worth watching.

Bruno berner was a steady influence on the team along with Henchoz who were excellent influences for the younger players..

First time i'd seen the new goalie from the faroe islands and he looked a very accomplished goalkeeper look froward to seeing him again.

Overall Rovers were far superior to Sunderlands team would love to see these lads play in the coca cola cup against some lower league team but that aint going to happen with Pompey on the horizon it was very encouraging though for the future.

Just to point out that Treacy actually played on both wings, one in each half as he stayed on the Jack Walker side throughout the match. It was a good game from a Rovers point of view and Reid looked to be doing exactly what he should be doing - easing his way back to fitness carefully to minimise the risk of further niggling injury. Would think Mark Hughes would be very pleased with what he saw last night.

Nice to hear that he is back and playing. Once he returns to the first team, it will be like having a brand new player at the club. He will add more strength to our squad and should be a vital player for us. It was also pleasant to hear that Berner and Henchoz scored. They are reliable players to have in the squad and even though they don't play much, they provide good cover and cost next to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Reid back in Ireland squad

I don't think Hughes will be happy about this.

I think its pathetic anyway that they call a player up that hasnt played for so long. I hated when Owen was brought back into the England squad. He had done nothing to earn his call up but was straight back in.

Hopefully from our point though it will help him with his come back

Hopefully it will be a non-playing appearance for Reid. I'm sure Hughes will be in contact with Ireland and their medical staff so hopefully the experience of just being away in a big game will help Reid with his recovery rather than playing a game and getting injured yet again.

Saying that, why would a player be called up when he won't play....anyone got Sven's number??

• 2 weeks later...

Looked very impressive for his 5 minutes or so against Fulham every pass inch perfect, played to the players feet, looked very good on the ball. I just hope he gets a ten minute run out against Villa will be good for his confidence and good for the team.

Well done Reidy, its good to have you back.

Archived